Preordered!

$50 for 4gb of standard sized SD? wtf? is everyone still shopping at best buy and wallmart, its called froogle,bing, and newegg. use it

linc186 said:
4Gb SDs go for $50...to expensive.

No they don't. I bought a new Kingston one in Australia six months ago, even that was only $12. Probably less now.

Last edited by a moderator:
linc186 said:
I have just paid for my pandora, coming out of batch two. But now im faced with a problem....how do i wait?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVmlpuaXLMc

i just bought 2 32gb sd cards for my pandora when it gets here of of ebay for 60.00 total after shipping. cheapest place i found so far. and they both were new. come on pandorra

mecksg1 said:
i just bought 2 32gb sd cards for my pandora when it gets here of of ebay for 60.00 total after shipping. cheapest place i found so far. and they both were new. come on pandorra
Prometheus, where are you when we need you?

I guess it's the middle of the night in England...

edit: for that matter, it's the middle of the night here. :|

GunPei2X said:
linc186 said:
4Gb SDs go for $50...to expensive.

No they don't. I bought a new Kingston one in Australia six months ago, even that was only $12. Probably less now.

Linc186 is actually talking about the rare 4GB SD cards, not the common 4GB SDHC cards. You know, the ones that go against the official SD specification?

Yeah, he knows that he could get a 4GB SDHC quite cheaply, but his current handheld doesn't take SDHC cards.

mecksg1 said:

Oh god. I don't suppose you'll be able to cancel that order?

Tom` said:
I'm here, I'm here. :p Damn. The one time when I wasn't awake late/early.

mecksg1 said:
Sorry to tell you this, but they're almost certainly fake. That is below cost for *one* 32GB card, let alone two.

When they arrive, please test them with H2testw, and when H2testw gives the sadly inevitable report of the cards being fake, please report the seller to SOSFakeFlash. Please follow their instructions carefully - many people don't, and it makes more work for their already over-stretched team.

SOSFakeFlash also has a section giving some advice on getting refunds, which can be quite difficult depending on what country you're from.

I wish you the best of luck.

Prometheus said:
mecksg1 said:
Sorry to tell you this, but they're almost certainly fake. That is below cost for *one* 32GB card, let alone two.
I bought some SD cards from ebay, and they weren't fakes but items that customers had purchased and returned. Some of them worked and some of them didn't. Make sure you test them thoroughly.

Bear in mind that sellers of fakes also re-sell items that customers have returned, too (in the cases where they don't give them a fake returns address). :(

The general advice is never to return fakes, of course, regardless of what PayPal tells many people - I understand that most countries don't allow fake goods to be sent through the postal service, and moreover, you then lose your evidence.

Prometheus said:
Tom` said:
I'm here, I'm here. :p Damn. The one time when I wasn't awake late/early.

mecksg1 said:

When they arrive, please test them with H2testw, and when H2testw gives the sadly inevitable report of the cards being fake, please report the seller to SOSFakeFlash. Please follow their instructions carefully - many people don't, and it makes more work for their already over-stretched team.

SOSFakeFlash also has a section giving some advice on getting refunds, which can be quite difficult depending on what country you're from.

I wish you the best of luck.
well i guys thanks for the info on the sd cards. i decided to try and max out the cards with 30gbs of movies and roms. they all fit. i think i got really lucky. i proub wont try ebay again. once is enought. again thanks for the info

mecksg1 said:
well i guys thanks for the info on the sd cards. i decided to try and max out the cards with 30gbs of movies and roms. they all fit. i think i got really lucky. i proub wont try ebay again. once is enought. again thanks for the info
Did you then compare md5 hashes for all the files? The fake cards are modified to report a higher capacity than they actually have, so files could be silently deleted.

The only way to check is by using h2testw.

greendots said:
Go to oldest page and read every topic for the 'history' of this project.

Exactly what i did with the blog when i first heard of this device =)

mecksg1 said:
This is a common mistake!

As Tom` notes, this is NOT the way to test. The whole point is that the fake cards are hacked to appear larger than they are, and fool your operating system into utilising them as if they really are as large as they claim to be.

This is due to a flaw in a certain family of controller chips (to give some very, very basic information, flash memory is coupled with a controller that manages things such as wear-levelling, as well as other bits and pieces), which can be maliciously adjusted to report a false capacity. Almost all SD Cards, USB flash-drives, and generic "MPx" players on eBay have been altered in this way, to prey on those who for whatever reason mistakenly believe myths such as "Flash memory and technology prices are always falling and never rise." and "Big, bad brand-name companies actually make these things for pennies and are trying to rip us all off at retail.". This has driven almost all known sellers of genuine flash media off of eBay, as it impossible for them to compete with the fakes and with the myths (read comment number 3 on this article for an example of this which occurred only a few days ago).

I'm going to tell you right now that the cards you've received are very likely to be no more than 4GB at the very most, and they probably contain Grade C quality chips at that, giving you roughly 3.7GB or less of actual space, which, due to being of lower-quality, can never truly be trusted to retain data or work correctly.

*PLEASE* test with H2testw. I very much hate the thought of someone willingly throwing their money away on something completely unusable like this, just because they don't want to spend a few hours running the only test that's guaranteed to work.

Ooh this is uncool. :(

Can play.com be trusted?

Would this one work OK?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/12090074/Panasonic-RP-SDW16GE1K-Class-10-32GB-SD-Card/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0

12090074m.jpg

If you bought it from Play.com themselves, and not a third-party selling via their PlayTrade service (I'm always wary of these personally, as fake flash media has been known to show up via this means on sites like Play.com and Amazon UK on occasion - I'm not saying that there aren't genuine sellers, though, just that it makes me wary), then there is nothing to worry about.

That said, I always test things, just to be sure, even though I only purchase from known-trustworthy retailers.

If you buy SD cards from ebay, you may receive one of the following:

1. Used/returned cards. These are genuine cards that customers purchase from retail stores and return. These are, in my experience, the most frequently encountered items on ebay, and are usually pretty obvious since the packaging has been opened or the cards have been re-formatted or have files on them. Sometimes the cards are damaged or don't work. Check for bad blocks using "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=1048576"

2. Fakes. These are low quality chips that are relabled as a better-known brand. Sometimes you can tell that the packaging doesn't quite look like the genuine ones. They may work, but will be less reliable.

3. Outright fraud. This is pretty rare, but gets the most publicity. These are cards with hacked controller chips to mis-report the capacity or to return bad blocks. They seem to work at first but you get corrupted data. These cards have no legitimate use and are produced solely with the intent of ripping people off.

The outright fake cards are the most common, as far as I'm aware, Neko. Since so many people trust the feedback system, they don't always believe that... :(

Prometheus said:
The outright fake cards are the most common, as far as I'm aware, Neko. Since so many people trust the feedback system, they don't always believe that... :(
I bought several cards from ebay and never got one. I did end up with some non-working cards though. Sometimes the used ones are perfectly fine and were just returned because it didn't work with that person's camera or whatever, but I got enough broken cards that I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I don't buy from ebay anymore.

I suppose that depends on when. :p Certainly, all that shows up if you search for cards nowadays (and certainly over the last couple of years), are known bad sellers and their aliases, usually listing Buy It Nows with large quantities available, and often as private listings, and not much else.

Back