Amiga Emulation.

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
Hi,how good will full amiga emulation be with u.a.e for all.I wonder will it have a frontend like lemonamiga.
Win u.a.e was always a bit unwieldy.This is the main reason I preordered the pandy,amongst others.Any reply appreciated.Cant wait for my pandora.

Thanks for your quick response about amiga emu.Cd 32 emulation would be cool,though there are only a few games worth having as they were mostly ported to the 1200 as they were basically the same.The cd32 had some custom chipsets that werent supposed to make it much better than a 1200.

wrath of khan said:
Thanks for your quick response about amiga emu.Cd 32 emulation would be cool,though there are only a few games worth having as they were mostly ported to the 1200 as they were basically the same.The cd32 had some custom chipsets that werent supposed to make it much better than a 1200.

Didn't the CD32 have some kind of raycasting chip? Was it ever used?

I wonder if it was more just a hardware zoom? It would be made the A1200 more successful for sure if it had contained that.

Edit: It seems it just contained a chip which allowed 1byte to equal any colour depth up to 256 colours, to gain speed when rendering. At least that's all I can find with a quick google.

Last edited by a moderator:
GnoStic is developing P-UAE, an updated version of E-UAE (original dev is mysteriously MIA) using the newer code from latest WinUAE versions.

UAE4ALL is nice, but is a cuttered down UAE version so it can run on slower platforms. Pandora is able to emulate the full thing.

Source code here: http://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE

I hope this fork gets multiplatform, so the P can be for Portable instead Pandora (so amiga users and devs could get more interested, and more feedback from users too).

A project page could be interesting, I also suggested it and offered some help on it. I'm still a very newbie web developer, but better this than nothing ;)

I also hope Cyclone evolved to add 68020 support. 68030 support could be nice for some games and demoscene. 68040 and 68060 support could be quite amazing, not only for amiga demoscene too but also for other 68k-based platforms (Mac, Atari Falcon...).

craigix said:
wrath of khan said:

Didn't the CD32 have some kind of raycasting chip? Was it ever used?

I wonder if it was more just a hardware zoom? It would be made the A1200 more successful for sure if it had contained that.

Edit: It seems it just contained a chip which allowed 1byte to equal any colour depth up to 256 colours, to gain speed when rendering. At least that's all I can find with a quick google.

Did you mean about Amiga CD32's Akiko chip?

Wikipedia said:
Akiko is a custom chip used in the Amiga CD32 games console and forms part of the AGA chipset used in that system.

The Akiko chip performs 'chunky' to 'planar' graphics conversion in hardware. The Amiga's native display is a planar display which is simple and efficient to manipulate for routines like scrolling. However, chunky displays are faster and more efficient for 3D graphics manipulation. Akiko allowed this conversion to be performed in hardware instead of relying on software conversion which would otherwise slow the system down.

Akiko is also responsible for implementing some of the control logic for the CD32's CD-ROM controller, as well as for controlling the serial ('AUX') port.
(From Wikipedia)

Sadly, very few games used those special stuff from Akiko. That's why CD32 is mostly underused as an Amiga with CD player in games (like in SegaCD/MegaCD too) and there are CD32 "emulators" for amiga itself too (because those games not use the special features). I think there was some games that used it, but not sure (it was a Microprose game for CD32? Not remember it).

I think Microcosm was the only game that made use of Akiko.

Later on there was a DOOM port that made use of it, but not to much use.

Mostly CD32 games were A1200 games with a funky animated into and/or a CD sound track.

Pleng said:
I think Microcosm was the only game that made use of Akiko.

Later on there was a DOOM port that made use of it, but not to much use.

Mostly CD32 games were A1200 games with a funky animated into and/or a CD sound track.

Oops, I confused Microcosm with Microprose. I'm really sorry, my mind was a bit messed this time :)

Indeed. And CD32 is used by some fans as a games console platform for amiga. Put your games with whdload on CDs, make a menu and enjoy the lazy way of console gaming just with a gamepad ;)

Yes the akiko chip that was it.Cd32 never took advantage of it.1200 and a500 emulation are top of my list.Falcon was supposed to be very good machine,was only in america i think.Was there any good games on it I wonder.

wrath of khan said:
Yes the akiko chip that was it.Cd32 never took advantage of it.1200 and a500 emulation are top of my list.

CD32 Emulation would be worthwhile for me as Bubba 'n' Sticx had a wicked soundtrack. Unfortunately on the A500/1200 version you had to choose between the music and sound effects due to the limitations of the sound hardware (whilst the AGA chipset in the A1200/4000 and CD32 featured highly upgraded graphics, Paula - the sound chip - was unfortunately left wanting). The CD32 got around these limitations by playing the music directly from the CD.

I also have a load of PD/Shareware CD-Roms that I'd like to rip.

Other than that, the best thing about the CD32 was the CD32 Gamer cover discs.

None of this, of course, requires dedicated CD32 Emulation - just AGA & Bootable CD (with CD Audio) emulation.

Falcon was supposed to be very good machine,was only in america i think.Was there any good games on it I wonder.

The Falcon was an Atari machine. It did look very good in its time. I don't know too much about it. I think it had a similar processor to the Amiga 4000. Don't know about graphics and sound really...

Yes i remember cd32 gamer.good mag.Amiga games in general have great tunes.Perfect emulation of these
would be cool.Psygnosis games are some of my faves.Bubba n stix,core design?so much good stuff.

Pleng said:
wrath of khan said:
Falcon was supposed to be very good machine,was only in america i think.Was there any good games on it I wonder.

The Falcon was an Atari machine. It did look very good in its time. I don't know too much about it. I think it had a similar processor to the Amiga 4000. Don't know about graphics and sound really...

Indeed, it's the last official Atari machine developed. It features a 68030 at 16mhz, a fully programmable graphics chip, a DSP (560001 at 32mhz from Motorola).

It's a quite powerful machine, but it has bottlenecks like using a 32bit CPU on a 16bit bus. Despite about that, it's a quite interesting piece of hardware and even still developing new hardware for it like the CT40 and CT60 accelerators (68040 and 68060 upgrades)

t's a cult machine by Atarians and still has an active demoscene. Musicians liked it a lot too due to a low latency built-in MIDI bus and the DSP, but specially for the software for it: Cubase born in Atari Falcon, and even the company manufactured a modified version after Atari abandoned the system in 1995.

I don't know much about the machine, it's still in my list of systems to investigate soon. I'm not sure about the available software for it, but there are some nice demoscene and games.

As I did note on the PandoraWiki port requests page, I would recommend to port ARAnyM (Atari Running on Any Machine). You can have the most powerful possible Atari Falcon clone on it with nice additions, but also able to execute native code (so you can play divx movies and such, for example).

Back