Release PPSSPP, Emulator for PSP

ptitSeb: Any luck in getting it fixed? Maybe using the newest source code will fix it.

Kumaki please use the pnd manager to update your apps. you can save with normal savegames or savestates, with the current version .
I'll have to get the latest off repo.

I prefer to download to laptop and then transfer to card versus using PNDManager.
You should update to latest PNDManager - it's a lot quicker and synching updates and downloads are also a LOT quicker.
Well, that's true if she has fast wifi (wifi dongle) on the pandora...
It's also true if she doesn't... It's improved a lot since the DLs are no longer cappedto 140kB/s

You should consider posting less on this forum :)

edit: seriously: consider building it yourself, this is an open platform for a reason

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, is anyone able to see the graphics in the Tales of Phantasia remake? If so, what options are you using?

You should consider posting less on this forum :)
Why?
Where I live it is generally considered unacceptable behavior to impatiently demand results and is usually done only if you are very close or have some kind of legal or moral contract.

The same holds for giving advice when it is not asked for, because the one giving the advice assumes a position of intellectual superiority.

But I should have restrained myself from posting. I'm sorry.

mmm at the start of the year I didn't have so much expectations for this emulator, so I never followed the topic, but seems like I underestimated the power of all the possible optimizations :)

Now that I just finished my speed reading of the thread I have a question:

if I understood correctly, the zram gives speed problems, but why ? because of the compression ? I mean it should be faster than a swap file anyway

mmm at the start of the year I didn't have so much expectations for this emulator, so I never followed the topic, but seems like I underestimated the power of all the possible optimizations :)

if I understood correctly, the zram gives speed problems, but why ? because of the compression ? I mean it should be faster than a swap file anyway
Now, I'm no expert but I would assume that it's because ZRam lives in main RAM (which is the reason it's faster than a swapfile on an SD card). This will reduce the amount of available RAM, causing the emulator to start utilising ZRam where it may not have done had the ZRam not been taking up precious resources.

D.

Now, I'm no expert but I would assume that it's because ZRam lives in main RAM (which is the reason it's faster than a swapfile on an SD card). This will reduce the amount of available RAM, causing the emulator to start utilising ZRam where it may not have done had the ZRam not been taking up precious resources.

D.
Pretty much nailed it. It is faster than using swap but also in some instances be the cause of swapping due to it occupying some of the RAM... on PPSSPP is once such case.

I assume that using a swap-file (to "free up" some normal ram) would not change anything or make it even worse (since it is even slower than zram)?

EDIT: Unless PPSSPP would start to manage the ram and swap file accordingly by itself, which (I would imagine) is probably among the most difficult things to implement (so basically out of question)

Last edited by a moderator:
If your unit has 256 MB and your z-ram is 5MB in size, and your game requires 250 MB then the z-ram is going to slow things down. Remove (unmount) the z-ram, and the game will run without needing swap. Adding a swapfile in this case will have no effect. If the game requires 300MB then you're really heading up the creek, and z-ram+swapfile will likely slow it down more than just a swapfile alone.

D.

Updated.  Still nothing is anywhere near playable.  Unless I need to set some framskipping, and I have no idea how to get there in this app.  No biggie, I just have this on to follow the progress and see what's what...it is amazing this stuff can even load, better still if I could actually play some of it.

Updated.  Still nothing is anywhere near playable.  Unless I need to set some framskipping, and I have no idea how to get there in this app.  No biggie, I just have this on to follow the progress and see what's what...it is amazing this stuff can even load, better still if I could actually play some of it.
Lumines is really playable.

Load the rom, then press "space" to go to ingame menu.

Choose "Config" (with your finger on the touchscreen), and than the right-side list, using DPad and Enter (or finger in touchscreen, nubs will not works), change "Frameskip" to "Auto", and "Frame Buffer" to "GPU, the last option), and Check "Alpha Hack".

Go back and "Resume" your play. Et voilà, you should have a perfectly playable PSP Game.

Back