[Poll] Note 2 Display

Is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 display worth looking into as a potential choice for the P2?

• Total voters

EssoAir

Based on discussion from this thread (http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14735-720p-1080p-1440p//URL]) the display from the Galaxy Note 2 seems to be a good /potential/ (POTENTIAL -- may I stress the word any more?) option for the Pandora successor.

This poll is not meant as a "YES THIS HAS TO BE THE DISPLAY" or "NO NEVER DON'T USE IT"

It is simply to get a better feel if the community thinks it is worth looking into more. If most people say yes, then it should be further researched. If most people say no, we can simply put it on the back burner for now.

So, what makes the screen for the Note 2 so great?

- 720p SuperAMOLED display which combined the touch elements, the display, and the back light into one piece of glass also no ghosting and super low power consumption

- Active "S-Pen" digitizer for pen-point accurate touch input and pressure sensitivity. They call it S-Pen but really it's just an optimized Wacom pen.

- Capacitive multitouch is great since it is likely the successor will have Android installed out of the box (in addition to .next) -- In the thread linked, we looked at resistive multitouch but were unable to find a viable option

So what makes is bad?

- It is no longer in production -- there are lots of them floating around, but they are not making new ones to my knowledge.

- The cheapest I could find INDIVIDUALLY was $160/unit. But, ED would likely be buying in bulk so it would be worth asking for a better price.

- Potentially (and this needs to be researched more) the Wacom digitizer requires closed source software or something that needs to be licensed in order to be sold. Again this is not known, but something to look in to.

Happy voting and keep the conversation clean and constructive :)

Oh and if you say yes or no, it would be great if you would post why.

Last edited by a moderator:
the lifespan of AMOLED screens is way too short and I've had bad experience with them. A lot failed or got demadged quickly

- the AMOLED screen of my Samsung mp3 player dyed after just a year (ok, back than it was one of the first products using OLED technology)

- after an unfortunate drop of about 1 meter the (stupidly designed elevated) glass of my Nokia N9 cracked and took the screen with it

- my Note N700 even got a burn in! wtf -.- Up till than I only heard of burn ins from legends and old people xD

no, I rather stay away from AMOLED screens. I have a lot of other stuff with different screens and not one of them broke (only one TFTs after 6 years of heavy usage).

The Note 1 is very different from the Note 2 tho. But its worth looking in to. Ive owned the Galaxy S1, S3, and S4 all of which still look as bright and clear as day one.

I voted yes, because it ticks all the boxes and I know of no alternative screen that does so.

I would like to amend my previous suggestion I made in the other thread:

Why don't we organize an in-house 'kickstarter' just to fund the screens... We will have a minimum target to reach, and all you get for backing is the cost of the screen discounted from the final P2 price.

admittedly, this doesn't help for the longevity of P2 production - what if the device sells so well that ED wants to do a third and fourth batch later on... perhaps by that time, the screen will no longer be available in the quantities required or at the same price.

So while I would very much like this screen... if we are able to find something similar being produced now, I would say we should go with that instead.

*BUT* ... no such screen has been found yet, and ED has been looking for quite some time already.

My worry is that - what if this is our last opportunity to get the perfect screen? What if the tech moves forward so fast that the only screens available end up being 1080p or higher?

I think some strategic moves need to be made and they need to be made soon.

Although I own a Galaxy Note II and feel that the screen is awesome, I think that this poll is little more than wishful thinking.

ED needs to find a display that he can source - reliably - for the next 3 years or so. Choosing one from a now obsolete phone and 'wishing' that it is available for the long haul...

Another theoretical option would be to source a screen that is, more or less, made just for the device. Pixel Qi would be a great choice in that. Unfortunately, that could rapidly result in a $200 screen component.

Although I own a Galaxy Note II and feel that the screen is awesome, I think that this poll is little more than wishful thinking.

ED needs to find a display that he can source - reliably - for the next 3 years or so. Choosing one from a now obsolete phone and 'wishing' that it is available for the long haul...

Another theoretical option would be to source a screen that is, more or less, made just for the device. Pixel Qi would be a great choice in that. Unfortunately, that could rapidly result in a $200 screen component.
That is also worth looking in to.

Always wanted one of those. Sadly they never made it into consumer electronics. I'd pay 200$ for it but I boubt erverybody would

I would vote yes, but do we even know if getting the same screen as the note 2 even possible?

If so can it be had for a decent price and what is the availability of the screen? will it be available down the road?

I would vote yes, but do we even know if getting the same screen as the note 2 even possible?

If so can it be had for a decent price and what is the availability of the screen? will it be available down the road?
Thats the point of this poll. Im simply trying to see if its worth looking in to. these are questions worth asking but if no one cared about it they are not worth going to the effort to answer

See what im getting at?

It looks like an excellent choice, apart from the 'no longer in production' bit.

Maybe we could persuade someone to carry on making them for a few years :D (ha!)

When looking for components for P2 major considerations should be long term availability (to a company like OP GmbH) & reasonable price, sadly it seems like these 2 factors are not present in what would otherwise have been an interesting possibility, so voted No.

We could ask Asus, they made a competitor device to the Samsung Phablet it's about halfas expensive... Apart from those dreams-having an active digitizer would be the only alternative to a resistive screen for me. AFAIK Synaptic's pen technology is a lot cheaper than Wacom.

Posted from my Note 3 in Handwriting :p

Back