Display Ribbon cable for rotational screen hinge

Would you like the pyra to be able to close the lid with the screen out?

• Total voters

Orbstheorem

Hello,

I was wondering if it'd be possible to have a longer pcb ribbon or a cable instead for connecting the Motherboard with the pcb. What I'd like to achieve is eventually drilling a hole in the center of the hinge and put a rotating hinge so I can turn the screen 180° and close the screen outwards. This way I could watch a film on the train or use it more conftable with the pen only (ie. gimp)

Best Regards
Roos

Last edited:
Won't work without making the lid about 5mm thicker as the keyboard and nubs currently ride -inside- the lid when closed. That surrounding edge on the screen is the offset to keep the nubs from banging into the glass.

Won't work without making the lid about 5mm thicker as the keyboard and nubs currently ride -inside- the lid when closed. That surrounding edge on the screen is the offset to keep the nubs from banging into the glass.

Maybe It won't be perfect, but definitely better for ie. watching films

Anyway, I'm not asking to implement such feature, just to let room for us to hack it :)

The ribbon cable loops around itself a few times. If you intend to connect directly, drilling through the case and making your own hinge, then simply unrolling it should give you more than enough room.

Maybe It won't be perfect, but definitely better for ie. watching films

Anyway, I'm not asking to implement such feature, just to let room for us to hack it :)

OK - so a hack with 'ugliness allowed'. I'm good with that.

The display cable does a double curl from the main board through the hinge to the display board. This lets it flex -inside- the hinge point and gives it just a bit of spring for recoil.

I don't see any way that this is going to then curl 90 the other way to go through a 2nd hinge. However, the cable itself, because of that curl, is longer than the distance between the connectors. If you were willing to expose the cable - that might stretch, but not with the McTwist you're describing.

However, IF you were to cut the hinge area off of one display piece with a good half-section of the back/lid top then put in a piano hinge so that the 2nd display hinge can hinge -backwards- when the main display hinge opens then close with the display -flipped over-, that might make the stretch.

Might be easier mechanically than rotating too?

Since there is no "I don't care" option for the poll I will pick no (no, I wouldn't like it, but I also wouldn't dislike it).

I don't think I would personally find it easier to hold the Pyra for long periods of time in a closed state. That is one of the biggest problems I have with touchscreen only smartphones, even in thick cases. They are hard for me to hold without putting my hands all over the screen. I would probably never use it like that. (I also wouldn't want to waste my battery watching a movie, and in that downtime those gaming controls will be very useful, but that's me.)

I do think things like this should be looked at and considered. As with other ideas and suggestions I have little personal interest in, I think anything that makes the Pyra more useful to others is a great idea. If the hinge/mechanism to twist the screen can be figured out maybe a small run of custom cables can be made. No clue what that would cost. Perhaps a 3D printed lid would work to keep from smashing on the keyboard and nubs. If it looks good and isn't so rounded I would be interested in that piece (although I doubt it would be as simple as adding sharper angles...maybe with some spacers or something).

Would be better to have a hinge like the Lenovo Yoga.
One that let's you flop it on the backside.

That would make the whole thing a lot more handy for phone calls.
Of course the Keyboard unprotected then but it's also a considerable option in my opinion.

Would mounting a 2nd display on top of the lid be an option?
If you don't mind the extra thickness, are ok with two cables and can live with 800x480 pixels this might work:
http://www.exp-tech.de/adafruit-hdmi-5-800x480-display-backpack-touchscreen?___store=en

So - I actually thought this through a bit. What if...
Two identical displays with the touch screen layers on them. One facing in, one out.
Two display motherboards, placed back to back.
Three ribbon cables - one going to a splitter with a string of electronic switches tied to a master A/B physical switch - or even to the lid switch so that it automagically switches to the back display when the lid is closed.

Case lid would likely need to be customized on a 3D printer to house it all.

More magical - have the A/B switch have a -both- position. Touch screen battleship anyone?

Taking that in a stupid direction, how about making it so the additional screen can be tilted up? Should make DS emulation easier.

Taking that in a stupid direction, how about making it so the additional screen can be tilted up? Should make DS emulation easier.
That would require that the 2nd display be independently driven - which would be much more difficult. The magic to my idea is that both displays (one other both) would be driven off of the existing MIPI connection. Both displays would need to be identical - down to the same touch screen interface and protocols. The A/B switch would have to flip all 20 or so connectors from one to the other. The 'both' idea is dubious - it would double the power draw - which might exceed the design spec for the motherboard connector and/or cable. There is also the potential for return communications from the display to the controller being highly confused if two displays were responding.

But the A/B idea could theoretically work. It would probably add @ 5mm to the device thickness, require thin light pipes from the screen-back LEDs to the screen edge for them to be usable, a 3D printed case lid, and a tiny board with the A/B relays, 3 ribbon cable connections and switch mechanism OR an independent wire run back into the unit to trigger off of the magnetic lid switch.

If someone does it, it would have a hacked hardware modification cool score of +10.

@Grench:
Considering you're likely going to end up with two Pyras (hence two identical original displays) it would make sense if you were that someone. ;)

For everybody else who want's to try, ordering a spare display from ED might be the best option.

@Grench:
Considering you're likely going to end up with two Pyras (hence two identical original displays) it would make sense if you were that someone. ;)

For everybody else who want's to try, ordering a spare display from ED might be the best option.

More likely I'll wind up with one from the 2nd pre-production run.

It won't be me. I already have more projects lined up than I could theoretically complete in my estimated remaining lifespan. (No, not sick or dying - actuarial tables are fun.)

As the sun has started to come out a little more frequently, and the temperatures more agreeable to working outside, I've started to wonder if there's any linux device I could buy with an e-ink screen and proper keyboard. Perhaps the Pyra's screen will be bright and contrasty enough, but based on my experience with my Pandora I'm not convinced yet. I don't really need much; just a terminal and a headphone port should enable me to do some coding while listening to recorded music or radio programmes.

The A/B switch would have to flip all 20 or so connectors from one to the other.
Now having three cables makes more sense. (I guess I didn't understand what you were saying before...) The switch is literally a switch in the simplest form, with nothing else going on. That might be nice, but it seems like a major waste to me. The small HDMI display backpack might be a little more useful to have a dual screen palmtop.

As the sun has started to come out a little more frequently, and the temperatures more agreeable to working outside, I've started to wonder if there's any linux device I could buy with an e-ink screen and proper keyboard. Perhaps the Pyra's screen will be bright and contrasty enough, but based on my experience with my Pandora I'm not convinced yet. I don't really need much; just a terminal and a headphone port should enable me to do some coding while listening to recorded music or radio programmes.
Kind of building on my stupid idea, would a standalone display attached to your Pyra work for you? It should also increase your battery life off used instead of the main display, at the expense of colour and touch input. I might even consider taping one to the back of my Pyra so I don't need to open it to check messages or who is calling. I could also use it for email and other text heavy stuff, but I would have to retape it on the inside. Actually, I am starting to like this idea. Now I just need to find one that is durable, affordable, and thin. Damn you, levi!

Other than listening to stuff, what else do you actually need for what you are planning on working on? I might have some suggestions that don't exactly fit what you are looking for, but they are still really useful, fun, and cool (in roughly that order, although how fun and cool depends on the individual).

On second thought, the displays may heat up with a lot of exposure to Sun, so maybe not that great for you. Why can't you just do your programming inside, like a normal person? :p

Maybe remove the Screen of your old Pandora (when the Pyra comes out) and attach an Ebook-reader to it and connect it via Ethernet over USB and/or Wifi. Many EBook readers can run an full Linux such as the Kobo Glo HD. You could even setup an small distcc cluster with it.

Back