Please Delete:Radical Hardware Idea for Pandora 2(Outdated 2/22/2012)

Wow - there is another one of these threads every month these days.

Say it with me: "The Pandora is not just a game machine for the kiddies. The Pandora is a general use computer that also plays games." Repeat as necessary.

Any Pandora II, 2, ^2, Plus, XRLFTZ+2 will need to have a keyboard, two nubs, game pad controls, shoulder buttons, a touch screen, a huge battery, high quality headphone amplifier, USB host & OTG, wireless networking and two full size SDXC slots.

It is a handheld computer. It is not a big name 'nothing but games formatted specifically for this one device' handheld console.

Anything less is pointless competition for everything else in that lower market.

I agree with Prometheus and Grench. To me the Pandora is an open portable Linux computer with full gaming controls (and great battery life). As long as it successor does not meet these criteria then I have no interest in it.

I agree with Prometheus and Grench. To me the Pandora is an open portable Linux computer with full gaming controls (and great battery life). As long as it successor does not meet these criteria then I have no interest in it.
Agreed. :)

--------------------

Let's summarize what's been proposed for a Pandora 2

(for those who don't want to peruse the entire thread):

1. Slate, oval form factor with a slightly wider but rounded taper to the lower half to accommodate the high capacity battery and the optional plug-in Bluetooth keyboard that could be affixed to the bottom for tangible input.

***Keyboard will be like a remodeled iControlpad with just the Pandora 1 qwerty keypad. Number keys are located to the right like a number pad on any standard keyboard. The number of key rows will now be three instead of the current four on the P1. This BT "arc wand" keyboard add-on would be sold separately or as a deluxe P2(Pandora Slate or Pandora Slim) package.

2. Up to a 4.5" resistive touchscreen. The screen bezel above and below the device will be minimal to keep the P2 as slim(depth-wise) as possible.

***Using the touchscreen on an opened clamshell is not ideal. It works, but has always been a compromise that's not nearly as comfortable as tapping on a slate with a stylus.

3. A USB 2.0 port, one Headphone/Mic port, HDMI, One SDXC slot, an additional microSDHC slot under the battery compartment for dual-boot(thanks DaMummy!!!).

4. A D-pad and start/select on left side of screen, two proper shoulder buttons, six face buttons on right side of screen in a 3 rows 2 columns pattern. One dual function Pandora Home/Power Button(press to use/hold to power down) anywhere it can be located.

5. One nub on left side of screen just above the D-pad. If it can be done, I have no problems if a second nub is added to the right side of the screen above(or below) the face buttons or just below the shoulder.

6. Android(dual boot if feasible)

7. A built-in kickstand to use on a desk. A second option would be using the stylus as a kickstand by adding an angled hole to the opening of the stylus storage compartment in the back.

In conclusion:

A. Openpandora could price this design for less because it will cost less to make. They would sell many more of these than Pandora 1's while still retaining the Pandora 1's functionality and "opensourceness". It will also be more compact and weigh less.

B. OP can still sell the Pandora 1 with improved internals for the $500 premium price to those who want nothing to do with a redesign.

C. The ICP and any revisions will still be offered to further the companies expansion.

Sound goods. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, these_won't_sell because you are dropping what makes the P1 awesome, and reinventing the psp-knockoff.

The Pandora2 will most probably look, externally, exactly the same as the Pandora1.

If we have to make all new moulds however, it may become a little smaller.

If you want something like the PS Vita just buy the Vita (or one of those Android PSP clone handhelds).

The Pandora2 will most probably look, externally, exactly the same as the Pandora1.

If you want something like the PS Vita just buy the Vita (or one of those Android PSP clone handhelds).
Im ok with that :) to flip the screen 360deg may be cool but sounds like something that would braek anyway.

Yeah i dont want something like a vita for the P2.Ill buy a vita anyways so ill want something different from a pandora 2.

I think the main reason the Pandora is still popular is that it isn't a PSP clone, if it had been I think we would be long dead, look at the Wiz, Dingoo etc.

Agreed. :)

--------------------

Let's summarize what's been proposed for a Pandora 2

(for those who don't want to peruse the entire thread):

1. Slate, oval form factor with a slightly wider but rounded taper to the lower half to accommodate the high capacity battery and the optional plug-in Bluetooth keyboard that could be affixed to the bottom for tangible input.

***Keyboard will be like a remodeled iControlpad with just the Pandora 1 qwerty keypad. Number keys are located to the right like a number pad on any standard keyboard. The number of key rows will now be three instead of the current four on the P1. This BT "arc wand" keyboard add-on would be sold separately or as a deluxe P2(Pandora Slate or Pandora Slim) package.

You didn't make it through your #1 without completely missing the point. If you want an Android slate device - there are PILES of them out there in the $200 to $500 range. You just described an Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. They sell, poorly, for under $250.

There is one bit that I think you have the right idea on though. OpenPandora needs to make a PandoraControlPad. This would be a bluetooth keyboard, nubs, D-pads and shoulder buttons (all 4 thank you) device powered by a pair of AA batteries under the far edges - but otherwise the exact same shape, form factor and layout as the existing Pandora console's controls.

Although this would be useful for controlling the Pandora when connected to a TV from across the room, it would also be useful for anyone who has a bluetooth phone, tablet, etc... Heck, you could control your MMPC/HTPC with it too if you want. Be sure to make it so that the keyboard can switch between multiple (8?) devices.

We have GREAT controls on the existing Pandora. They have already capitalized on that once with the iControlPad. Take it another step - very cool.

+1 for the Pandoracontrolpad :)

Also a few features like an infrared tranciever might be worth having.

I think the main reason the Pandora is still popular is that it isn't a PSP clone, if it had been I think we would be long dead, look at the Wiz, Dingoo etc.
I look forward to something somewhat different to the P1 and yet reassuringly familiar.Variety is the spice of life and me likes my gadgets.

I look forward to something somewhat different to the P1 and yet reassuringly familiar.
Given that the current design has few (externally visible) faults (wide screen bevels, L2&R2), wouldn't any externally visible modifications have to be relatively major?

You meant "lack of" L2&R2, right? :) maybe they can be put on there in a similar fashion to that (possibly fake, possibly re-branding, or possible render of, new) NeoGeo portable or Nintendo Classic Controller. That way Pandora 2 wouldn't need to be made with extra junk in its trunk just to accommodate them, or have L2&R2 be extra skinny.

1. There is a problem with the R1& R2 triggers; The problem is that they aren't there :p
  2. Don't know if that would work, refer to someone who has felt&played with a real pandora. (whoops! that sounds wrong!)

for the pandora 2 i want to see:

the same case design but perfected so that is is entirely consistent, strong in the right places and is made from maybe slightly higher grade plastic (though maybe it just feels the way it does because its not coated? hmm)

any inconsistencies with any buttons ironed out. no squidgy A buttons, perfect shoulders (i think we are already there with this though on the more recent production runs)

any battery improvements in capacity that have happened since pandora 1 to be brought in to the pandora 2 but keep it the same shape and size

same size screen still with resistive control

compatibility with the highest spec SD cards

a board that will fit right into the current case running the same architecture or that will at least work with pandora 1 pnds but obviously more powerful

finally, and this is probably the most unreasonable, if its possible to find a way to fit 3G in there with a sim car, that would be neat. maybe accessible under the batter or something

i really dont think we need to be worrying about aesthetic redesign here, just refinement of the form factor and under the hood improvements

EDIT

i would also like to add that as far as more "radical" design improvements go, nintendo have already shown where i would like things to go: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/02/nintendo-slide-pad-for-3ds-review/

for the pandora it would be less ugly because we wouldnt need the extra nub. it suits a more relaxed environment in which L2 & R2 type games are likely to be played so the bulk is less of an issue. proper grips would be there for comfort and it could provide a solution for 3G/wifi dongle/usb hub/flash usb storage by using up the internal space and connecting to one of the ports.

I look forward to something somewhat different to the P1 and yet reassuringly familiar.
Given that the current design has few (externally visible) faults (wide screen bevels, L2&R2), wouldn't any externally visible modifications have to be relatively major?
Well i hope there are some visible changes.My realistic predictions would be. Extra holes in different places for new connection ports/sd cards etc.I would imagine hdmi would be standard.Maybe the nubs will be tweaked/redesigned though they work well.The d-pad is flawless so that will definately stay. The battery cover would be stonger/redesigned.Maybe R1 and R2 buttons will be added.The shoulder buttons could be less clicky so maybe a redesign is needed. Wi-fi will be improved.A physical button ala 3ds to toggle wi-fi/ on/off.Maybe a higher res oled screen if thats possible.Depends how the vita oled holds up.And of course cutting edge hardware.Faster processor and more ram etc.Thats all i can think of right now.

That is true. You guys have brought into the world something special.

If you want an Android slate device - there are PILES of them out there in the $200 to $500 range. You just described an Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.
There is no hardware gaming controls on the Samsung Galaxy P5, and connecting an ICP to it isn't nearly as convenient as having them on the device.

You meant "lack of" L2&R2, right? :) maybe they can be put on there in a similar fashion to that (possibly fake, possibly re-branding, or possible render of, new) NeoGeo portable or Nintendo Classic Controller. That way Pandora 2 wouldn't need to be made with extra junk in its trunk just to accommodate them, or have L2&R2 be extra skinny.

That NeoGeo portable was a decent looking piece of tech. I like what they did with the shoulder triggers although they messed up the buttons names. :unsure:

I'd never buy a cheap chinese Android knockoff and truthfully the Vita's opening game lineup rehashes do not do its hardware justice. My future reinterpretation of the Pandora, from my view, is as different from the myriad of Android PSP clones as your handheld is from a Nintendo DS Lite with an R4 or a Netbook with a USB gamepad attached to it. I suppose it would be financially prudent to keep using the majority of the Pandora 1 moulds to keep the loyal community that's formed around it contented.

To me the Pandora is an open portable Linux computer with full gaming controls (and great battery life). As long as it successor does not meet these criteria then I have no interest in it.

It will, and that is something to look forward to.

Nevertheless...

Pandora Slate Final Version 2.0(mild changes from V1.0):

1. Slate form with rounded top edge corners(think SNES controller) and a more rectangular shape down the sides to the bottom.

2. 4.3"-4.5" Resistive Touchscreen.

***Minimal bezel above and below screen to reduce footprint for achieving pocketablity.

3. Left Side: one D-pad and one Nub above it. Start and select below the D-pad. Right Side: Four face buttons in cross formation(like the Pandoras) then two additional face buttons(labeled 1 and 2) directly above them adjacent to each other.

Proper left and right shoulder triggers along top edge for comfortable finger positioning(SNES pad-like). Pandora menu/power button along top edge(press to use/hold to power on/off).

***Optimal Nub location for simulated mouse web browsing. Face buttons 1 and 2 could function as left and right mouse click when not used for gaming.

3. Optional plug-in bluetooth "Wand" backlit keyboard(three rows with number keys positioned to the right like a traditional numberpad) that can be affixed to the bottom edge of the Pandora Slate for handy non-touchscreen text input.

***Keyboard when attached will serve dual use as a stand on a flat surface.

4. Stylus chute and battery will share the same compartment space.

***Downward angled hole added to the stylus slot's outer entry will allow the pen to be used as a simple kickstand if BT keyboard isn't attached.

5. Android/Ångström dual boot if practicable.

6. SDXC slot, microSDXC in battery compartment for multi OS boot(thanks DaMummy), one USB 2.0, one Headphone/Mic, HDMI or the promising new tech WHDI(when the chip ultimately shrinks enough to fit).

What might do it for me is if you managed to fit a second nub in there.

And, importantly, that the slate can clip onto the 'wand' ala clamshell to protect both the screen/buttons and the wand's keyboard. (with this in mind, you could make the keyboard larger, or add more keys as the 'wand' would now have to be large enough to cover the whole slate).

If you also managed to have a hinge where the wand is affixed to the bottom edge of the Pandora Slate (so you can use it in any angle), then you get my vote. :)

Problem with putting game controls next to the screen is size. The current Pandora shape could fit a 5" screen in the lid. putting the game controls next to the screen either means bigger device, or smaller screen.

Back