Pics From Mweston: Silk Screen Design

Kagato said:
Nice.

I'm a bit late to the party, but a couple of comments:

• Aside from logos, stick to a single font. Certainly don't mix serif & sans-serif fonts without reason. The sans font you're using (Myriad?) looks fine.
  • Personally, I have an aversion to Courier for almost all uses. I don't see any reason not to use the sans font for the SD icons (and "First Batch", if printed).
  • Try to keep all the icons as close to the same size as possible.
  • Mixing icons & text labels is a bit messy; I'd iconify the BT label (just putting it in a rounded box as suggested earlier would do). If there is indeed no fee for using the real BT logo, you should definitely look into it.
  • The wireless icon is probably too fine-detailed to print clearly. I'd use a bolder, simpler antenna icon than that one.
  • Wherever practical, use the same baseline for all labels across the whole casing. (You may need more than one line, but align labels in rows, rather than the tops of the connectors)
  • If you're worried about localisation with "First Batch", the same applies to all other labels. Use symbols wherever appropriate (eg lock for hold) or widely-understood names/abbreviations.
    • The GP2X labelled its expansion port as "EXT" (external/extension?) -- this is fairly common, keeps a legacy association (as was done with the game buttons), and is less tightly coupled to English.
    • I don't think there's any licensing restrictions on using the "trident" USB logo, so that should be used on the back.
  • Should the power connector label include the current (eg 5V 1A)?

Front - courier changed to sans, simpler wireless icon, BT iconified, "first batch" logo separated from labels, lock icon for "hold":
2vns3mq.jpg

Back - USB logos added, "Expansion Port" relabelled "EXT", labels set to same baseline:
2vv870h.jpg

If you're using the USB logo, "USB" is then arguably redundant:
5ccc5v.jpg

As it turns out, there's even a recommendation for a trident logo variant for high-speed ports, but I don't think it's widely-enough recognised to bother using.

DroneB Dev said:
i dont think they can silk screen in that place, at least not on that angle.

I don't know if the angle is so much of an issue (they could probably just use a rig to hold it upright when printing), but the proximity to the case corner could be. They probably can't print within X mm of the flat of the case. They'll need to check with the manufacturer to find out the tolerances on printing.

OMG no responses, did the team just realized this or what someone say something,
its like i touched a nerve or what?
Dude. It was only like 2 hours.
I wouldn't even expect a dev reply the same day (if at all).

This is the one post Craig, EvilDragon and MWeston should really take notice of :) Great post and pictures. Makes for a much more professionally done device.

I do wonder now though. If the first batch logo is only going to be displayed on first batches and they don't increment the number per batch, then there is little reason to have a 1 in the pandora logo, don't you think?

If I recall right, you were one of the 2 people that designed a keyboard layout in a poll thread a while back. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Christ, I'm away for a few days and far from cooling down the forum heats up?

I'm mostly pro the "First Batch" phrasing if only because I like to call things what they are - this has been the first batch for ages, I see no need to start calling it something else like we're embarrassed. Maybe some font tweaking and some more inconing treatments of some labels would be nice, provided it doesn't land in TradeMark Law complications, but... just a quickie...

MWeston said:
At any rate, we could still make the change for the 10,000 cases (not sure if they will do 4k with first batch marking and 6k without but I will ask).

Wouldn't it be kinda pointless to have "First Batch" (or any version thereof) on the first two or three batches of Pandoras, if they won't do at least 2 different designs? (one with, one without)

I think you're right, Kagato, I didn't know it was 2.0 only. My suggestion was based on the fact that I didn't know it was 2.0 only.

[I wasn't around for some of the early design talk and I definitely wasn't around after the 20th thread about armchair banking regulation. But things have gone back to normal so maybe I'll dig in my heels :)]

Gruso said:
http://pandorawiki.org/USB

Thanks for that.

<OT>

Mini-AB.. interesting.. that means I can use the same charging/data cable as my Dingoo, INQ1 phone and backup HD. Always handy!

another late idea on the "first batch" issue, although i am not at all against spelling it out, basically being a fixed phrase now and all ...
But how about just using the Pandora Logo and a "st" signature next to it, i know thechnically its still not international or universal, but it's close enough i'd say. further it could be continued "nd" "rd" and by the time you reach (four)"th" it oughta be final ;)
Anyways for everything else, Kagato got it down
(And don't let the fact i just registered fool you, i've been reading the boards for the better part of a year now, just never had anything consctrucive to say ... )

I'm becoming quite attached to the signatures idea now -- though I guess it depends if any of the devs have particularly ugly signatures :)

Still, here's another idea:

2j7eie.jpg

I'd prefer the first batch mark (whatever it is) go on the bottom, as it's not related to the device functionality, and it's unobtrusive there. (Inside the battery compartment would be best, then it's a secret special mark; but it wouldn't be easy to print there, and they might want to reserve that space for their legally-required labelling sticker.)

Having signatures is an awesome idea as well. Very awesome idea.

Now I'm wondering who writes like a kid and which will be the most illegible...

Kagato said:
I'm becoming quite attached to the signatures idea now -- though I guess it depends if any of the devs have particularly ugly signatures :)

2j7eie.jpg

I'd prefer the first batch mark (whatever it is) go on the bottom, as it's not related to the device functionality, and it's unobtrusive there. (Inside the battery compartment would be best, then it's a secret special mark; but it wouldn't be easy to print there, and they might want to reserve that space for their legally-required labelling sticker.)
But then it will wear off and nobody will know we have a first-batch Pandora!

atomicthumbs said:
But then it will wear off and nobody will know we have a first-batch Pandora!
Surely as a proud first-batch Pandora owner, you wouldn't dare risk letting your first-batch Pandora suffer wear and tear?!

Kagato said:

2j7eie.jpg

Awe inspiring, simply awe inspiring.

Hello, these logos look really fine.
I posted a few ones a long time ago :
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/46705-wifi-bt-sd1-and-sd2-activity-logos

There's a danger of over-designing the label. I'd prefer a simple text in simple font to the tilted "First Batch" mark in a rounded rectangle. The concept could be nice but graphically it has too much exaggerated aesthetics (the impression of being worn out) that make it look a little "off" in the context.

OpenPandora should register with the Bluetooth SIG for an Adopter membership which gains you the license to use the real Bluetooth icon and it's free. There is probably an approval processes and/or weird conditions, but I really don't like that BitTorrent icon.

I also feel that the of the text on back is pretty ugly and useless. I also don't like the SD card icons. They don't fit the style and numbering may not match what the OS labels it. I would like them to be removed from the SD slots. I don't know what to do about the LEDs however. The HOLD text also seems wierd...

I also wouldn't like having a visible first batch mark, but then again I don't have an preorder...

PhenXDesign said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/46705-wifi-bt-sd1-and-sd2-activity-logos
Already given you a shout out on this thread bud :)

Just realised though that I linked to the old pictures at the begining of the thread. Feel free to post your updated versions.
The more choice's, the more chance that ED will have of getting it right and not getting moaned at :lol:

Tripmonkey_uk said:
PhenXDesign said:
Already given you a shout out on this thread bud :)

Just realised though that I linked to the old pictures at the begining of the thread. Feel free to post your updated versions.
The more choice's, the more chance that ED will have of getting it right and not getting moaned at :lol:
Yep, thank you ;) In fact I didn't read this thread completely, but will probably tonight.

http://phenxdesign.net/projects/pandora/logos_pandora.png

Hate the idea of defacing the pandora icon. It should be treated with a little more respect.
As I've posted and voted in a number of places. Yes to "First Batch" is some form.
And kagato has some good points. Like using the recognised bluetooth symbol.

Back