Picodrive 1.14

GunPei2X posted on Feb 5 2007 at 12:22 PM said:
Would it be better to just have completely separate emulators, that way you don't have to worry about Genesis compatibility later? PicoDrive and PicoDriveCD.
No, it would mean lots of code duplication and I would have to do most updates twice. You can use "pre 1.0 PicoDrive" and "post 1.0 PicoDrive" if you want it that way.

geise69 posted on Feb 5 2007 at 02:39 PM said:
Well from what I remember I think notaz said that the us_scd1_9210 bios is the best for compatability
But I don't remember myself saying that. Actually I do most testing with 9306 BIOS. I think currently 9210 bios doesn't reset properly.

White Demon posted on Feb 5 2007 at 02:59 PM said:
If you leave it running at the title screen (instead of pressing start) the game goes to play the intro movie but it locks up the emu instead. I would say the end movies would do the same (but haven't got to the end yet so can't say).
Yeah this is well known, most games I tried are suffering from things like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres the Bari arm Video ------> HERE

Shining force video ------->HERE

Sonic CD video --------> HERE

Sonic must be too fast for my shite capture card to capture coz it looks so shite but on the gp2x it was fine.

EDIT: This emu is great ! :D Found another few games that seem to work full speed, Lunar 2, Some jap game that i forgot its name, Wonder dog, and i just put wolfchild on just now and so far it seems to be working ok. oh and lethal enforcers seems to be fine too.

I am having problems with this emulator. When I load a game the Sega CD logo boots up and then I get maybe one second of the title screen(on Lunar and Bari Arm), then the screen goes black and the emulator freezes. I have the US bios us_scd1_9210. I tried another bios and it did the same thing. Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks.

Seems strange maybe you are overclocking too high ? I mean if you are overclocking that is. My bios were named just us biso eu bios and jp bios so i just renamed them to the first examples in the readme.

Have you tryed the bios and or isos on a mega cd emu on a pc like GENS ?

Heres another video :D Snatcher ------->HERE

What's weird is that the 940 crashes when I start a game.
Didn't do that with the earlier version, same settings and same clockspeed.

Any ideas what happened here?

Yono posted on Feb 5 2007 at 03:23 AM said:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:28 PM said:
Geeez! Finally found the stupid stupid bug!
Now Notaz' link is also working for everybody! Yeeha :)
Are you talking about http://notaz.gp2x.de, because that still doesn't work for me.

It does, but depending on where you are, the DNS servers might take 24 hours to recognize this ;)

Last edited:
works fine for me. I just thought tho that i havent upgraded the firmware for a while think im only on 2 maybe somethin to do with the firmware ?

Heres some more videos. None of the games are that great tho but still they work :D

Wolfchild ----->HERE

Robo Aleste ------>HERE

Wonder Dog ------>HERE

Wild Woody ------->HERE

Flashback works but stops and makes this noise when any cut scene is supposed to happen just press start to skip it. Might upload that later.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 5 2007 at 02:15 PM said:

hmm, mine just started doing that, too! Snatcher worked fine for me earlier, but now I get the '940 has crashed' error...

I'll try to reinstall and see if it goes away...

EvilDragon posted on Feb 5 2007 at 09:15 PM said:

Are you using the correct code940.bin? I changed the communication method between 920 and 940.

BobBorakovitz posted on Feb 5 2007 at 10:01 PM said:
hmm, mine just started doing that, too! Snatcher worked fine for me earlier, but now I get the '940 has crashed' error...

I'll try to reinstall and see if it goes away...
Does it happen instantly after loading a game or some time later? Can you telnet to your GP2X? It should spit some debug output if you run it through console.

These problems started after I changed sound mixing code. 940 updates a shared variable when it gets it's job done, then 920 reads it and does it's stuff. But something went wrong and 940 started not to update it's status completely randomly, most often after 5-10 minutes of play. There are no signs of 940 doing something illegal, no exceptions, no nothing. It seems to be something similar to what Dzz was experiencing here. So I sat down and debugged it ~6 hours and thought I fixed that. Apparently not. :(

notaz posted on Feb 5 2007 at 03:52 PM said:
Does it happen instantly after loading a game or some time later? Can you telnet to your GP2X? It should spit some debug output if you run it through console.

These problems started after I changed sound mixing code. 940 updates a shared variable when it gets it's job done, then 920 reads it and does it's stuff. But something went wrong and 940 started not to update it's status completely randomly, most often after 5-10 minutes of play. There are no signs of 940 doing something illegal, no exceptions, no nothing. It seems to be something similar to what Dzz was experiencing here. So I sat down and debugged it ~6 hours and thought I fixed that. Apparently not. :(

Well, last night it was crashing constantly, but now it seems to be working fine... :huh:

It was crashing as soon as the bios finished its jingle, it wasn't even getting into the game...
I've been playing snatcher for 30 minutes and it's perfect so far with the exception of some choppy audio every once in a while, but it's pretty rare.

I'll edit this post if/when the 940 crashes again to try and help you narrow down what the problem may be...

thanks for coming through with snatcher for us! :D

I started to play Ecco on the train to work today (one of the few games I've never finished 100%)
and it works so smooth even on a non-overclocked gp2x. It's cool to play with the CD music I've loved
for so many years. To that I have a question notaz, would it be possible to add an option for changing
the volume of sound effects and MP3 music seperately? Because often times the effects are just too loud
when you turn the volume high enough to actually hear the background music clearly. This is something
I have noticed in many emulators, the jumping sounds of Mario and Sonic are just an example. Turning
the effects' volume a bit down without affecting the music would be rad! :)

Oh and another thing, in Ecco2 when you enter the history glyph and it starts playing the FMV movie sequence,
all I get is a distorted screen, seems like they are not fully supported yet .. sound plays fine tho.

Anyway, this is a great release notaz, thank you so much for your hard work! :)

"SunSpire"

Anyone try Road Advenger and Dracula Unleashed? Thanks

I have no batteries in my GP2X at this moment :(

Hi stranno, yes I've tried road avenger but it freezes at the sega logo for me. Will try different settings later to see if there's a way around it but have a feeling it has to do with the FMV's again :p

"SunSpire"

SunSpire posted on Feb 5 2007 at 11:53 PM said:
To that I have a question notaz, would it be possible to add an option for changing
the volume of sound effects and MP3 music seperately?
yes it would, but I don't think this is a priority, there are many other things to do.

SunSpire posted on Feb 6 2007 at 12:10 AM said:
Hi stranno, yes I've tried road avenger but it freezes at the sega logo for me. Will try different settings later to see if there's a way around it but have a feeling it has to do with the FMV's again :p
yeah FMV games still need quite a bit of work, I don't think changing settings will help

Using the model 2 BIOS (good startup music, that's why I chose it... yep, pretty pathetic) I get spontaneous hang-ups in Snatcher, but using the model 1 BIOS I'm fine. So, my advise to people: try different BIOS images in case you're experiencing oddities.

duderoo posted on Feb 5 2007 at 09:56 AM said:
Thank you for the excellent emulator!

Rivroner posted on Feb 5 2007 at 10:00 AM said:
Thank you very much NOTAZ!

sbock posted on Feb 5 2007 at 11:09 AM said:
Thank you, notaz!

SunSpire posted on Feb 5 2007 at 11:53 PM said:
Anyway, this is a great release notaz, thank you so much for your hard work! :)
Thanks to everyone for your support, it's good to know you like it!

notaz posted on Feb 5 2007 at 11:42 PM said:
Thanks to everyone for your support, it's good to know you like it!

We don´t like it, we adore and love it :D :lol:

Thank you again for all the work you have spent on this incredible emulator! ^_^

Some questions:

Does the volume only go up to 90? Mine does..

The music and voices in Lunar 1 are running too fast (sound like chipmunks). What am I doing wrong?

In Lunar 2, I can't see text in text boxes. Everything else works perfect. Is this an issue with Picodrive?

Thanks for the excellent emu, notaz. I can't wait til Lunar 2 is playable! :D

Back