Picodrive 1.20

White Demon posted on Mar 5 2007 at 08:14 AM said:
I tried Jaguar XJ220 today. It worked, but the graphics are all screwed up (even in 16bit mode). The main car appears on a block that is the same colour as the background and all the other cars and roadside objects appear is if they have massive vertical scanlines going thorugh them. Very strange.
Probably uses scaling/rotation chip (last completely unemulated piece of hardware).

Disappointed that Road Avenger and Cobra Command don't work yet. Oh well.
Thanks for the reports, knowing problematic games will help the development.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz posted on Mar 5 2007 at 09:23 AM said:
White Demon posted on Mar 5 2007 at 08:14 AM said:
I tried Jaguar XJ220 today. It worked, but the graphics are all screwed up (even in 16bit mode). The main car appears on a block that is the same colour as the background and all the other cars and roadside objects appear is if they have massive vertical scanlines going thorugh them. Very strange.
Probably uses scaling/rotation chip (last completely unemulated piece of hardware).

Disappointed that Road Avenger and Cobra Command don't work yet. Oh well.

Will the scaling/rotation ever be emulated or is that too much for the GP2X to handle?

Soul star works but with graphic glitches, sprites are screwed up but background seems to display correctly. posible use of scaling/rotation chip?

first off i just wanted to say thanks- having a portable sega cd in my pocket is a childhood dream come true!

heres what i noticed with popful mail: on the first intro cutscene (where mail goes after nutscracker) while the cinema plays fine, theres no voice, and the music seems stuck on a intro drum pattern..? anyone else get this?

on willy beamish: faces and colors on characters are black.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2007 at 05:10 PM said:
Will the scaling/rotation ever be emulated or is that too much for the GP2X to handle?
I will add a quick implementation when I have time and we will see.

josh f posted on Mar 6 2007 at 06:01 AM said:
on willy beamish: faces and colors on characters are black.
About wrong colors: you must use 16bit accurate renderer, because only it can handle palette changes between scanlines (there are many CD games which do this, trying to break the 64 color limit, in contrast to only a few genesis games). This might be the case with above mentioned problems too (I am too busy lately and don't have time to test).

notaz posted on Mar 5 2007 at 10:23 AM said:

Oh, if that helps you: Dune also doesn't work.

Last edited:
Great work so far!

Too bad those of us who want Dark Wizard and Third World War get to eat crow for a while longer. :(

@Notaz

I think i just came upon a bug in picodrive 1.20 (might also be present in older versions), it seems impossible to save the gamma corrections.

Amon_Re posted on Mar 12 2007 at 02:16 PM said:
I think i just came upon a bug in picodrive 1.20 (might also be present in older versions), it seems impossible to save the gamma corrections.
Thanks for the report, just fixed that. It seems game specific setting saving was broken, but global settings should save, if you delete old *.pbcfg files.

notaz posted on Mar 12 2007 at 08:13 PM said:
Amon_Re posted on Mar 12 2007 at 02:16 PM said:
Thanks for the report, just fixed that. It seems game specific setting saving was broken, but global settings should save, if you delete old *.pbcfg files.

/me bows down in worship to the great coder Notaz ;)

I found a bug in Snatcher ... don't know, if it's my version or a regular bug:

When you're at the hospital and you're surrounded by snatchers, the dialogue between the director, gillian and random has no sound ... after you jump into the vent duct it's back there.

Also the intro of Popful Mail has no sound for me.

I was just playing Snatcher over the weekend for the first time. Where has this game been all my life!?

Picodrive runs it great, except (like said above) in very small parts the sound cuts out. Thanks for your efforts Notaz. You're amazing!

it seems to skip for me (instead of cut stuff out) but still im blown away by this emu (as soon as i get money im definatly donating to you notaz!)

Back