PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

Yeah I didn't even look that closely at the layout. It seams like a last minute thrown together layout and hopefully they will update it. Pretty bad thing to even show-off thou.

Yes, same here.
If only they had mapped DPad to cursor and ABXY to some keyboards key, in "Mouse" mode, that would have solved the issue when a game wants keyboards to play.

Well, on the GPD Win it's because they simply included a Joypad controller - so they couldn't use it for the cursor keys.

But instead of the hardware switch, something like Joy2Key with different profiles (and the switch changes between the profiles) built-in would make more sense, as then you could configure it the way you want.
Then it would be possible to use the DPad as either joystick or cursor keys while also having the sticks for mouse movements or change the sticks to analog mode while keeping the cursor keys on the DPad, etc.

I am not trying to say the Pandora team was better (but the Pyra team obviously is ;)), but not everyone looks at things the same way, and PGS and GPD may feel that having keyboard keys on the gamepad is inferior. I am in favor of it on a handheld since it gives more space in the keyboard area for keys, but I kinda get it. It may be helpful for those that are slow to adapt mentally to new things, as it more closely resembles a desktop keyboard. That mostly applies to the Win, I guess, as I have no clue whatthe person/people making the PGS keyboard layout where thinking/smoking/drinking. I am still having a hard time figuring out who the PGS keyboard was made for. I still voted for keyboard instead of a second screen, but I prefer the ancient way of having physical controls, especially on a device that has a selling point of adding physical controls (but this just proves I am old, I guess).

I know ED and others may not like it, but I would rather have more competitors in the gaming palmtop market. Pyra wins for me for being designed for Linux and being more open and libre, but also for the things ED added (modular design, sustainability, and trying to be generally more responsible, which all are lesser concerns of mine, but ED at least makes an effort). I won't be switching over to another company's products unless ED moves away from things like this, as he has been loyal to the community, and that says A LOT to me, so I will be loyal to him, but I would like to have other options in case I need to look elsewhere for future devices. As much as it pains me to say it, PGS is closer to what I would be looking for than the Win since it is designed with smartphone functionality in mind. Now it just needs to materialize and not implode.

Tangents, sorry...

upload_2016-9-3_22-1-44.png

I fixed it for them :D

Why... did they put arrow buttons on the keyboard? There's a d-pad literally right there on the left. That's four keys that are strictly duplicated and could have been saved.
First thing I noticed as well. It's just ... weird.
Shift is an Fn on Alt? How are you supposed to press alt-shift combos? People are going to have problems typing upper case letters. And why are '!', '@', etc... on Fn keys and not left as shift-1, shift-2, etc...?
People have complained quite a bit here about the number of keyboard threads the Pyra has spawned.
This layout clearly highlights how much all that effort was worth it.

If it's not a Pandora/Pyra, second screen please :> Just to see if the big N rears its head :p And that keyboard layout has even more wtf-potential than the GPD Win's :confused:

Can you see the poll results so far?

The PGS key layout reminds me of a worse version of the Pyra keyboard. You know, like with Pyras symbol and punctuation keys scattered randomly as if to create a where's wally game, absolutely horrible :p

394.jpg

images

Must admit, what I first found offputting about that layout was not where the keys were so much as the fact there's no space between the keys and it's completely flat. No tactile response whatsoever when feeling your way around. Like a zx80 except you can't even feel the membranes.

I don't understand why anyone would put arrow keys on a handheld with a dpad. At least they gave them other purposes too, unlike GPD Win.

Last edited:
That "keyboard" reminds me of microwave oven's keypad input. Maybe it also beeps each time you press a key. \o/
[doublepost=1473107796,1473100275][/doublepost]EDIT: Couldn't resist:

Forum update seems to have broken embedded Youtube videos, so here's link:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nueBUwBj5qg

Last edited:
This pics is not the pic in the poll. This is the actual pick. I agree the layout is not optimal. But looks like they scrapped this together really fast for marketing purposes:)

LbecVoE.png

And I didn't think you could get much worse than the GPD Win's keyboard layout. Though it's centered, P's location isn't conventional and the FN (two function keys?) key is where the CTRL key should be.

And I didn't think you could get much worse than the GPD Win's keyboard layout. Though it's centered, P's location isn't conventional and the FN (two function keys?) key is where the CTRL key should be.

I didn't even notice that but wow, that P location... I can just see the thought process there, let's move a single key away from the QWERTY layout and we get to make all the keys a little wider. Sounds like a great tradeoff, right? Except it'll infuriate just about anyone who tries actually typing on this thing when they smack empty space then go around looking every time they want to type pretty much anything.

I've actually used a laptop that has a P key that doesn't work very well (and only that key). Using it for any kind of typing is the absolute worst. I imagine this would end up feeling like that.

EDIT: Also that lack of zero key xD Only losers use zeroes!

Last edited:
zero is there, it's on Fn1 9.

because it's a great idea to have two function keys...

but "function 19" does sound like the name of a good sci fi thriller.

Back