GPD WIN, xpPhone and Portable Computers

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
Hello there!

I guess we all heard of GPD WIN, the new palmtop computer that Gamepark Holdings recently announced. It looks much like a Nintendo 3DS, and it has an x86 processor (unfortunately, it runs Windows 10).

Specifications (vcolerio1 from the thread "GPD is going to release an x86 console/palmtop computer) :

CPU:Intel Atom X5 Z8500(probably the Z8550) ;Quad-core processor/Quad threading ;64 bit Instruction set ;14 nm Process technology.
Storage: 4GB/64GB
Operating System:Windows 10 Home.
Display:Capacitance screen, multi-touch support;5.5 Inch ;1280×720 resolution;Corning Gorilla Glass 3, In-Cell technology.
I/O port: 1×USB Type-C,1×USB(A) 3.0 ,HDMI D Type (Micro HDMI) ,3.5mm Headset jack, TF card Maximum up to 128GB
Network: WIFI and bluetooth are both support.
Battery: 6000mAh

:

I don't know if some of you heard of it or not, but there is a phone called xpPhone. As its name says, it runs Windows XP (at least, xpPhone 1 used to run Windows XP, xpPhone 2 runs Windows 7 and the mysterious xpPhone 3 can both run Windows 8/10 with Android. It also has an x86 processor.

Specifications (from www.xpphone.net) :

RAM:4GB
ROM:64GB(128GB optional)
Hard Disk:Solid State Disk (SSD)
Storage Card:MicroSD
CPU Model : Intel N2807,Dual core
CPU Frequency: 1.5 GHz
Platform : Bay Trail-M
Chip Architecture:X86
GPU : Intel HD graphics

And we have our Pyra... I am not going to compare these with Pyra simply because they don't run Linux and xpPhone isn't an open-source community project. (So, no comparison here ^^) I just want to know what should I buy (or wait for) and ask to you if you have any recommendations for a pocket pc that runs Windows which is able to run Linux on VirtualBox or vice-versa.

I still would prefer the Pyra because of 2 full SD-Card slots and LTE.

Only comparing the two devices you mentioned I'd say it depends.
The phone is slower, has no keyboard but a Sim slot.

I'd go for the GPD WIN because of it being more like a computer (Keyboard) and the better processor.
I have a test GPD from the shop and its quality is I'd say 90% of the New 3DS. It's the best Android device I've seen so far.
On the other hand, the phone is available and the GPD is only a render right now. Chances are high you can get a Pyra before the GPD WIN and then I don't see the big advantage of the GPD any more.

One Moment please: GPD = Gamepark ???
The guys behind the GP32 GP2X Wiz and Caanoo??
So these handhelds arend from china but from south korea..
Ditnt know this..

Well i think this Windows 10 Handheld is interesting, but i wonder how long the batterie will left..

I still preffer the Pyra because i liked my pandora
Also i dotnt need to buy a new handheld when the soc is too slow for tasks in some yeahrs..

I'm waiting for the day Alpbrine stops asking questions that have no answer..
Till the day someone kicks me out of this board ^^
Ditnt know this..

Well i think this Windows 10 Handheld is interesting, but i wonder how long the batterie will left..

I still preffer the Pyra because i liked my pandora
Also i dotnt need to buy a new handheld when the soc is too slow for tasks in some yeahrs..
Well, I like my Pandora too, but I still don't know if 2GB is enough for me.
I still would prefer the Pyra because of 2 full SD-Card slots and LTE.

Only comparing the two devices you mentioned I'd say it depends.
The phone is slower, has no keyboard but a Sim slot.

I'd go for the GPD WIN because of it being more like a computer (Keyboard) and the better processor.
I have a test GPD from the shop and its quality is I'd say 90% of the New 3DS. It's the best Android device I've seen so far.
On the other hand, the phone is available and the GPD is only a render right now. Chances are high you can get a Pyra before the GPD WIN and then I don't see the big advantage of the GPD any more.
Hey thank you! I'll keep that in mind.

Specifications (from www.xpphone.net)
Does anyone think that website looks sketchy as all heck? I'm sure it's entirely legit, it just seems like the kind of site someone, I dunno, unfamiliar with the internet and what people want would produce. Having familiarity with the internet and understanding what people want are two things I look for in a cell phone provider.

Personally I don't see much use for that phone.
It's 7 inch if you don't need the small size get a windows Tablet (8-10 inch) with better specifications.
Or maybe one of those Microsoft surface like tablets were you can detach the keyboard.

GPD WIN, the new palmtop computer that Gamepark Holdings recently announced

GamePad Digital is a daughter company of SoftWinCN based in Shenzen, China. Gamepark Holdings is dead.

Other than that, I'm of course most exited for the Pyra, but also planning to get a GPD Win if possible - 2016 is going to be a damn expensive year. The lack of a keyboard takes away every interest in the XP Phone I could have had.

I lost the count... This is the third or the fourth time that someone create a similar thread of the this console?
I think it's the third time. But hey, this thread is not entirely about that console.
Personally I don't see much use for that phone.
It's 7 inch if you don't need the small size get a windows Tablet (8-10 inch) with better specifications.
Or maybe one of those Microsoft surface like tablets were you can detach the keyboard.
Hmm. Seems like these are powerful enough to run some VMs and they are x86. I'll take a look at them. But you know, nothing is like a pc that you can fit in your pocket!
GamePad Digital is a daughter company of SoftWinCN based in Shenzen, China. Gamepark Holdings is dead.

Other than that, I'm of course most exited for the Pyra, but also planning to get a GPD Win if possible - 2016 is going to be a damn expensive year. The lack of a keyboard takes away every interest in the XP Phone I could have had.
Sorry, I am not really into that kind of things ^^' In fact, the first xpPhone had a keyboard but it had 512 MB of RAM, same as the Pandora. And 512 MB RAM won't be enough for Windows!

Ditnt know this..

The GP32 came from GamePark, while the GP2X came from GamePark Holdings (GPH) which was many of the same people under a different name. Those are South Korean companies. GPH also produced the Wiz and the Cannoo.

GPD is something else, as Agricola says, and is Chinese. I don't believe they've produced any linux-based devices, unless you count Android. I'm not sure if the 'GP' part of the name is a coincidence, especially if it doesn't actually stand for 'Game Park' in this instance.

as i'm completely happy with arm cpu's and gnu/linux
os's, these devices are not for me.
saveing money and helping the environment can
be soo easy! ;)
(and we all have to consume 1/3rd to get that co2 footprint
lower, right?)
so 2016+ will be cheap years for me.
oh, wait, pyra here i come! :)

Hello,everyone.This is kendy from GPD company.Thanks so much for your kind concerns and support for GPD WIN.
Now We made a campaign on INDIEGOGO for GPD WIN.Hope you can support us and keep it going!!Thanks so much!!
http://igg.me/at/gpdwin/x/13469132
zjtrldvga7knjk0f5rdr.jpg

hi,

I just received the GPD WIN

I hope the Pyra will not have the inconvenience of the GPD WIN !!!

Check out my video:
At 11'26, 12'53 and 13'26 :-(

It is a burden of not being able to play 3D games !! And the return policy seems complicated ...

For some series of GPD WIN it is impossible to play games in 3D, and we are full of contributors in this case !!!

As you want, I am new here, as I saw on the forum that there were more or less interested people I preferred to inform about this problem very inconvenient ...

Back