PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

I don't really understand what point you're trying to make here. Just because they have an account here doesn't mean they've bothered to look around and see what this site and these forums are actually about. That account seems to have been created solely for the purpose of responding to this thread.
You mean the self-proclaimed "handheld enthusiast" hasn't taken the time to see what this forum is actually about? :D

Let's quote him/them:
@ Michael Mrozek (OpenPandora GmbH)
Thank you for your advice. My experience as a portable devices engineer is really not as extensive as that of Pandora team, but we truly realize that expenses may exceed the revenue from Kickstarter. We are ready for that.

Last edited:
They are fully aware of the GPD WIN and the Pyra, they have talked about both a number of times. Usually they say the PGS is better than the WIN because it had a better SOC. Which isn't the case anymore of course as the WIN now uses the same SOC as the PGS.

You mean the self-proclaimed "handheld enthusiasts" hasn't taken the time to see what this forum is actually about? :D
I think self-proclaimed is the key word here - with their credibility at an all-time low (not that it was high to begin with) I don't think we can make any assumptions either way based on such evidence. :)

Let's quote him/them:

Ok, fine, that I'll accept as evidence that they are at least aware of what the OpenPandora is. :)

-Neelix

They are fully aware of the GPD WIN and the Pyra, they have talked about both a number of times. Usually they say the PGS is better than the WIN because it had a better SOC. Which isn't the case anymore of course as the WIN now uses the same SOC as the PGS.

Yes, but that comment on Kickstarter made me smile:

@Alec Arzh - i firmly believe in this product to be honest :) i won't cancel my preorder in any way ;-) what i believe mostly in PGS is that you have (with even an early prototype!) proven that PGS runs way better than the GPD Win, since i saw some very disturbing videos last night revealing how much lag there was with the GPD Win (it didn't even run at 30fps once!) so i am very proud to be a part of this campaign! i have even talked my mom into buy one :O she loves the idea also! so i think you can firmly be proud of yourselves for this fantastic idea :D

Someone clearly didn't realize that the GPD Win videos were made with an older SoC and that in the end it will have the same CPU power as the PGS.
He probably also believes in the "50% more power"-Update from PGS, and he expects games like GTAV to run fullspeed on the PGS :D

I was pretty sceptical of PGS Kickstarter to begin with, but ... but that last update made me cancel my pledge minute after i finished reading it.
GPD Win looks pretty sweet, but they won't have 8GB RAM and consider cooling fan?
Damn i wanted small Windows server as replacement for my huge 17" laptop so bad.
/rant

As an original Pandora owner i must say Pyra looks pretty damn impressive, but i just need x86 plaform. :(
@ED
Any plans for x86 Pyra like computer? ;)

@JoeBlack, If your heart is set on 8GB , then I would wait, as I'm fairly confiident GPD will release a 8GB Ram / 128GB storage model after release. Just like they released higher capacity XD's after it released. GPD have mentioned they probably will do this themselves.

As an original Pandora owner i must say Pyra looks pretty damn impressive, but i just need x86 plaform. :(
@ED
Any plans for x86 Pyra like computer? ;)
Well the CPU board is modular, so in theory an x86 CPU board could be developed. However since Intel got out of the mobile SoC business, who knows what that will mean. AMD hasn't really got anything in the same performance per Watt category.

Well the CPU board is modular, so in theory an x86 CPU board could be developed. However since Intel got out of the mobile SoC business, who knows what that will mean. AMD hasn't really got anything in the same performance per Watt category.

Well, it just means that Intel won't develop more new SoCs. The current ones will still be produced for a while.

Exactly :)
Current Intel SOC X7-8700 or 8750 is good enough for me. X86 procesor is sadly something i would like to have, otherwise i would preorder Pyra in a hearthbeat.
I use software, that company i work for develops, and that is windows only (mysql, postgre, access database, dos based + super stupid CRM, that work only on ie etc.) :(

Exactly :)
Current Intel SOC X7-8700 or 8750 is good enough for me. X86 procesor is sadly something i would like to have, otherwise i would preorder Pyra in a hearthbeat.
I use software, that company i work for develops, and that is windows only (mysql, postgre, access database, dos based + super stupid CRM, that work only on ie etc.) :(
While I don't know the aspects of your job, but most of everything you describe could be done in Linux, even access database work.

I don't "just" use database, i use database based software. No luck on Linux, especialy on ARM one.
I know the basic argument, you can run anything on Linux, those guys just did not met our software :-D

Just for watching the introduction video on their kickstarter page, I feel a strong urge to punch that guy into the face (is it just me?). Considering they are basically a team of actors, they are even bad at that. In contrast to that I really like the calm honest videos ED did for the Pandora and Pyra, which are also lacking that disgusting wannabe epic music. I wouldn't trust those guys with a penny after seeing that video, let alone all the other things that are wrong with this campaign.

Yeah, I remember that one ;). Didn't ED upload a new version without the music, after a few guys complained? Anyway, it's not epic at all. It's just a little annoying, just like elevator music. And its nothing compared to whats in the PGS video.
I guess their music was supposed to underline how great and awesome their device is going to be. But for me it just screams epic fail.

Well, it just means that Intel won't develop more new SoCs. The current ones will still be produced for a while.

It has struck me as an interesting business decision that they made. Their mobile chips never did catch on in phones and tablets - market share there is already established. Where bay/cherry trail has started to gain traction is in gum stick & tiny set-box computers with just a start of a cross over to main stream web browsing and HTPC type uses.

I suspect that the last few bits started to give them concern. If people are able to buy a device with a $30 SoC and do the exact same activities that they would otherwise have purchased a device with a $100+ CPU, that has the theoretical ability to start canibalizing Intel's more profitable lines.

Right now Intel has the lock on the sub 5W TDP X86 SoC space with the products already in production. With Microsoft giving up on the Nokia Windows phone thing, there isn't a draw to the devices that Intel had planned to support. So, there isn't really a direct call or need to develop a more advanced item for this segment - there is no competitor product to stay ahead of.

So - from a business perspective, I can completely rationalize why Intel would stop development of future low priced ARM competetive X86 processors. Some day 3-5 years from now when their existing line has competition or is seen as hopelessly outdated, maybe then they would consider developing a successor. Mobile X86 technology is likely to sit more or less stagnant for ~5 years or more.

All that said, I would still love to see an X86 Pyra some day. Where the latest and greatest mobile ARM SoC offerings tend to be highly proprietary and unobtanium, a Cherry Trail X86 SoC may still be the fastest -available- mobile SoC 1-2 years from now and worthy of consideration if/when a subsequent processor board is considered.

Back