PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

Maybe it is a fake campaign to generate a massive who-dunnit movement on communities so that the behavior can be studied? :)
This could bring in some interesting numbers for PHD research on many areas.

They could also send the 300.000 USD to me.
I know what I could use it for :D
Same here (and a decent sized chunk of it would probably head your way), and it wouldn't be for all the kinds of things WoK mentioned. Food, yes, traveling and beer, no. Bills and possibly a new gaming rig. Probably a couple charities (I can't believe I said that...when did I become so soft? At least the charities wouldn't be for the benefit of humans.).
[doublepost=1468349161,1468348746][/doublepost]
Anthracite case? Custom screen? New hinge?
If I was giving him a lot of money I would request that it be spent on expediting testing, part ordering, and production. After all that was taken care of it could be used toward software stuff needed to make it function optimally at launch. Then whatever was left could be used for fancy upgrades like the case color or hinge.

No car and stuff for Lolla.:p If I had the money I would get mine fixed up.

Maybe the PGS is just laying down to have a rest?
1467715558205.jpg
1467715558205.jpg

Last edited:
They had too little money, because more is required. But then again you could see that sum as a total writeoff for the price of a full real device.
Any amount spent on a scam is too much, but its the fault of the fraudster to try and lure people in.

A lot of people made the mistake, in turn making it easier not to notice of question anything suspicious.

There are a lot of supposed handheld-makers out there with way too little knowledge. I think we should learn our lessons and be grateful they weren't better at what they do. Appreciate the irony in that.

The Pyra lost a couple preorders, too. As long as everyone doesn't jump ship they will still get some money. I don't think they care if everyone cancels, but I would be amused if they did because of the comment they posted a few days ago.

Looks like the pledges are starting to turn. They're at -22 so far today.

It looks like their latest update didn't impress some of the backers that were on the fence. Their poor answers to a few questions in the comments the past few days hasn't helped them any as well.

The Pyra lost a couple preorders, too. As long as everyone doesn't jump ship they will still get some money. I don't think they care if everyone cancels, but I would be amused if they did because of the comment they posted a few days ago.

Just speculation but the GPD Win prototype may have had an effect on both the Pyra preorders and the PGS kickstarter. Probably will affect Pyra orders less as it's DNA is in open source and homebrew scene, while the Win is direct competitor to the PGS, it exists and will be in backers hands in months not years (or ever).

edit: I should add once more Pyra videos start rolling out in the future I imagine preorders will increase as well!

Last edited:
@Gr8one

PGS said they can provide contacts for their staff - they mentioned this recently in the comments. You should ask them what the full real names of all their staff are. Plus ask them to provide links to social media pages or other media pages which back up each members identity - no recently created pages as a rule. Particularly interested in Sergei (you know why) , but all is better.

On a different matter, I have noticed a number of recent GPD WIN backers say they backed out of the PGS and went with the WIN.

It looks like their latest update didn't impress some of the backers that were on the fence. Their poor answers to a few questions in the comments the past few days hasn't helped them any as well.

I know I'm not terribly impressed. Voyo V3 does all that throttling when running a power virus on CPU + GPU (not really a typical situation, no idea what PGSLab ran) to maintain a total power consumption of like 10W...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10100...less-intel-atom-x7z8700-cherry-trail-minipc/6

I'm sure a better optimized mobile platform can go lower, afterall there's no way a phone-like device should idle using 4W, and this is measured at the wall which may be less efficient than battery power. But even if you look at peak - idle and take away a bit for better mobile optimized parts and better power regulation you're still not going to have a bunch of headroom to play with in a phone-like form factor. Especially not with two screens. And they're still saying their power target is only 2.2W.

Keeping temperature lower does keep power consumption down. But on the other hand, fans will use power themselves. I don't know about the Fujutsu Loox dock fan but the one in the nVidia Shield Portable is rated to use up to 2.2W. We all know Shield had to be pretty thick to accommodate the fan, room for ventilation and the batteries. It was over 3x thicker than what PGS is supposed to be. So I don't really see how they're going to shove a meaningful fan in there while keeping the dimensions remotely intact.

I still say I'd love to be able to hop over to fantasy land and pick a PGS or 2 up. While I'm there I'll also pick up some bottled world peace and enough senzu beans to feed the world's hungry for 1000 years.

I'd like to see the size of the fan that's in the Fujitsu F-07C cradle. Because it's as noisy as fuck. Can't imagine it's small enough to fit in the PGS - but who knows.

I like the comment from one backer

"
Has anyone commented on the fact that the head engineer spent 3 days locked in a room and the solution he came up with was a fan?

Is that not a problem? I'm not engineer, but to me that seems somewhat... basic. Someone tell me I'm wrong.
"

You know, the Coleco Chameleon only had a shell with guts from an external nes jr going on. A little charleston two step with a FPGA and making one, but that was about it.

The PGS has got everything, makes the Chameleon look boring

I'm sure a better optimized mobile platform can go lower, afterall there's no way a phone-like device should idle using 4W, and this is measured at the wall which may be less efficient than battery power. But even if you look at peak - idle and take away a bit for better mobile optimized parts and better power regulation you're still not going to have a bunch of headroom to play with in a phone-like form factor. Especially not with two screens. And they're still saying their power target is only 2.2W.
GPD doesn't care about idle power consumption so why should they? The GPD Q9 loses it's whole battery load in a day when sitting around in stand-by mode so you have to shut it down and boot it whenever you intend to use it.

New comments from Alex

Our dear backers!
I can see many of you now having concerns about our project and we realize that there might be several reasons:
The first is that you are expecting the new prototype with demonstrating how the games run and the whole detailed demonstration of its capabilities. As we've already said, the most intensive work is now being done exactly on the prototype, so we will provide new info very soon.
The second reason is that you don't believe us, you think we don't tell you all the truth, that we don't provide you all info about our team members.
I will share with you about myself:
I'm a passionate gamer, my passion for gaming came in the NES era and since then it has been going on with SNES, PlayStation, Dreamcast, PlayStation 3,4. But what mostly excites me is portable consoles. When I managed to launch Quake 1 port on NGage QD I was really happy. My second favorite console was PSP where I played great native games and emulators of 8, 16-bit. Then came PlayStation Vita and now it is the PGS which I am really excited of. I truly believe in this project, it is really unique, for me it is that free portable console to compensate the lacks of PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3Ds. This is my honesty for you.
The above words may be applied to each member of our team, we are all living with the common idea.
I don't think it is a good idea to aggravate the situation now, when we are working hard on developing the PGS. Sure, you may wait for a retail version, but you also can support us now and stimulate the process of development. We have now 17 days to prove you that we can succeed in our work. You have 17 days to watch the process, maybe it is worth waiting. We are going to achieve a lot over the remaining time.
Thank you.

Looks like they've never heard of the GP32 / OpenPandora not to mention GPD...

Back