Release Pcsx-Rearmed

I tried uploading it to the File Archive, but unfortunately it's not possible due to file restrictions. Guess this has something to do with Sony actively using the PlayStation emulator on their own system(s) and the possibility of getting sued?

New to this emu, just curious about something.

Trying to run Raiden Project, but if you run the game with HLE it loads but freezes when you make a menu selection. I got it to work by choosing a BIOS file in the options, starting the emu (which only gives a black screen), then going back into the options and choosing HLE and resetting the game. Then it works pretty much perfect.

Is this common or a known issue?

Larry Hastings said:
The following games crash the emulator as soon as gameplay starts:
Crash Team Racing (how appropriate!)
Jumping Flash
Jumping Flash 2
Ghost In The Shell
Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge

And here's the really fun one: "Speed Punks" (known as "Speed Freaks" outside the US) locks up the emulated PS1!
I am pleased to report that every single one of the above games now runs in the emulator. Though they're mostly pretty choppy--only Frogger 2 is really pleasant to play right now. So I'm happy to hear notaz is going to tackle performance for the next release :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Notaz

Its quite difficult to get a picture of it but here goes...

R4 - Notice the walls on each side, also the 1163 number, how bright it is

R4

(I cant get images to appear properly :p

R5 - The exposure is a little off but you can clearly see the blue fringing an the 1163 numbers are a lot darker than on the R4 version. Some menus are also darker. The blue flickering is more apparent when moving the character...

R5

I re-sent your donation too :)

Why are you playing the Jap patched version of SOTN, is it better? I only know SOTN from xbox live and was looking forward to playing it on my Pandora.

I have hammered the English version a few times, the JAP patched one is supposed to be slightly different....

naples39 said:
New to this emu, just curious about something.

Trying to run Raiden Project, but if you run the game with HLE it loads but freezes when you make a menu selection. I got it to work by choosing a BIOS file in the options, starting the emu (which only gives a black screen), then going back into the options and choosing HLE and resetting the game. Then it works pretty much perfect.

Is this common or a known issue?

My starts ok. The only thing i get are some weird gfx artifacts on the right side ... but the game runs flawless (note: tested with r4).

A good thing would be to test the dumps if they are ok. Get the psx database from redump.org and check your dumps with clrmamepro.

Final Fantasy 9 UK PAL(patched) has broken (more) in r5. Previous version allowed you in game but crashed when a battle started. This version kicks me out of the emu as soon as I press X (before the main menu).

I'll try and give r5 a good shakedown later tonight with some more games.

Thanks very much for the update Notaz :)

Unfortunately for me it doesn't fix my non working games.

Tomb raider 2 BIOS/HLE not working freezes on selecting new game

Doom2/Final Doom BIOS/HLE not working hangs on loading screen with CD audio still playing

Skull Monkeys BIOS/HLE not working crashes to desktop

Rayman not working hangs on loading screen with CD audio still playing

Exept for Tony Hawks 1, Had missing textures before and is now working at about 20-30 FPS

Thanks for the quick updates Notaz

Made up with FF8 support :D

mvickers03 said:

The pal version works fine for me on r5 using the scph1001 bios.

Thanks again for the continued updates :)

here's my re-re-retests:

SOTN - NTSC version has the same problems as described by jonlad1

Civ 2 - no change still works great

Front Mission 3 - No Change still runs good at 850 and requires max mhz to get close to 60fps

Brave fencer Musashi - still runs good but requires 850+ to help with the voice over garbling problem

FF8 - As Notaz mentioned, now works. no longer freezes at the battle splash screen, although the splash screen it's self glitches graphically. But I'm not complaining, I'm very happy to be able to play this now, Thanks Notaz!

Gundam battle assault 2 - Now works! requires 950mhz to reach 60fps

Spiderman 2 - graphic glitch is gone, runs good again.

Megaman Legends - now works! 55+fps @600mhz

Megaman X4 - still good to go (50+fps @ 600mhz)

Suikoden 2 - still runs good, not full speed but close enough 45-55fps @850mhz

Wild Arms 2 - Still runs great, Requires about 750mhz to get 60fps in game.

Tenchu 1 - Still good, 55+fps in game @600mhz, cut scenes could use some reving tho. smooth at 700

Star Ocean 2 - still runs great.

so yea, all my tested games now work. Compatibility is looking great Notaz, Good luck with the optimizing. :)

Abaddon666 said:
mvickers03 said:

The pal version works fine for me on r5 using the scph1001 bios.

Thanks for that, will try ripping to a different dump format :)

Big wall of text forthcoming, guys, but you'll have to wait 'til the end to see what happened with The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (though I'll give you a minor spoiler: Notaz has done what, to my knowledge, nobody else ever has, with this one ;) ).

Croc 2 (PAL) - Now working! Cutscenes now work, and obviously now that they do, so does the game itself. It requires frameskip, and has some slowdown issues, and this makes the audio a bit juddery here and there, but it runs pretty nicely at 750MHz - it is near-full-speed in many spots, but has slowness spikes in others.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PAL) - Now fully working! The cutscenes that would not play in r4 now do. Damn near perfect at 750MHz, though it requires frameskip, and does slow down a little bit in places.

Rockman 8 - Metal Heroes (NTSC-J) - Now fully working, too! FMVs work (which is good, since they're fairly important here), and the game is pretty much full-speed at 750MHz (with frameskip), with the exception of locations with large amounts of activity or transparency on-screen, where it slows down (it slows down a lot with the transparencies).

Mega Man 8 (PAL) - The same as Rockamn 8 - Metal Heroes (NTSC-J) - pretty much full-speed at 750MHz, with frameskip, with some slowdown in locations with lots of activity or transparency on-screen. The PAL version's slowdown is *much less* pronounced than the NTSC version's, probably due to this version being optimised for 50Hz systems.

Klonoa - Door To Phantomile (PAL) - Runs and works, but has speed issues. The game's FMVs judder when the text-overlays are present (such as the one proclaiming the game's title, and "It's strange...", and so on, in the opening after starting a new game). In-game, it is full-speed in a few places, but mostly it is far too slow to play (and it fluctuates a lot in general). The speed is much improved over PCSX ReARMed r4, however.

Mega Man Battle & Chase (PAL) - Full-speed at 750MHz (with *very* minor slowdown issues during fade-ins/fade-outs, and in some menus), with frameskip. Perfect.
(^ This is what the headstone of my free time shall surely read.)

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PAL) - With the "SPU IRQ Wait" option set in the SPU-configuration, the game works damn-near perfectly (albeit requiring frameskip, and running at full-speed with the occasional "slowness spike"; I ran it at 750MHz, for the record) until it gets to the point in the first level where Teisel Bonne comments on there being a small hole in the wall (which the Servbots can fit into), and then hangs after he says "Hey, Tron...". I switched on "SPU IRQ Always Enabled" in the Advanced options, and whilst the game then functions normally again, this results in the voices being lost. After getting it past the part where it hangs and switching "SPU IRQ Always Enabled" off, the voices return and the game functions normally again. If you flip the "SPU IRQ Always Enabled" setting on and off quickly enough, the voices aren't lost - it only needs to be done to get the game "unstuck" from where it hangs.

There are other spots where this occurs; For example, after defeating the first boss, after Tron's wondering what's taking the Servbots so long, and says "Huh?", but again the same thing works to get things moving again. When starting to play the Bank mission, I noticed it again there, too, and near to the end of that mission as well. It just seems to happen at random once in a while (and it always involves speech-related activities) - I'm pretty sure it coincides with when stuff is about to happen (such as someone new speaking in the first example, the Servbots walking onto the screen in the second, and control being about to be handed to the player in the third; Of course, this could well just be coincidence - it might be totally random!). I'm guessing it happens throughout the game. Anyway, I'm not complaining at all, because it's VERY easy to work around it! I just wanted to make a note of it. :p

This very minor issue aside, for what to my knowledge is the first time ever in an emulator, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne works perfectly! I am thoroughly amazed. Notaz, well done and many congratulations to you. :)

Made A VERY quick video showing some MGS THPS3 and crash banicoot 2,, will try make a better one next week when I have time but this was requested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-mOlvl7dac&feature=youtube_gdata

Anyone got Final Fantasy 8 and 9 PAL working? Or is it only NTSC that got fixed? Both blackscreen for me :(

Also C12 has broken as well.

However,
Resident Evil 1 now works.
Dune 2000 now works again.
All Syphon Filters (1,2,3) now work!
Eagle 1 harrier attack now works.
Alien Resurrection PAL now works.
Crash Team Racing now works.
Need for Speed 4 road challenge now works.
Tomb Raider 2 and 3 PAL now work.

Hey MonkeyChops,

Did you think the sound has improved on SOTN from R4 to R5?

Lobo said:
Anyone got Final Fantasy 8 and 9 PAL working? Or is it only NTSC that got fixed? Both blackscreen for me :(

FF9 PAL in german works just fine with the scph1001 bios. You have to wait ~10sec before it starts, though.

meandu229 said:
@notaz
Is it possible to be able to save SPU plugins on a per game basis,
Its annoying having to change them each time I boot certain games (and if possible save controls per game?),,
I haven't tested this but code to handle plugins saving is there, it should work. The key saving is not there yet though.

jonlad1 said:
R5 - The exposure is a little off but you can clearly see the blue fringing an the 1163 numbers are a lot darker than on the R4 version. Some menus are also darker. The blue flickering is more apparent when moving the character...

I re-sent your donation too :)
Found what causes this, thanks.

mvickers03 said:
Unfortunately for me it doesn't fix my non working games.

Rayman not working hangs on loading screen with CD audio still playing
Those 2 need to have audio tracks in CD images to work, preferable .cue/.bin as the games themselves check for audio and get upset if it doesn't play (you would get the same if you tried them on real hardware). Some emus can trick them to think everything is fine but this is messy so better just use good dumps.

Lobo said:
I've only tested NTSC versions

Prometheus said:
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PAL) - With the "SPU IRQ Wait" option set in the SPU-configuration, the game works damn-near perfectly (albeit requiring frameskip, and running at full-speed with the occasional "slowness spike"; I ran it at 750MHz, for the record) until it gets to the point in the first level where Teisel Bonne comments on there being a small hole in the wall (which the Servbots can fit into), and then hangs after he says "Hey, Tron...". I switched on "SPU IRQ Always Enabled" in the Advanced options, and whilst the game then functions normally again, this results in the voices being lost.
All this SPU IRQ messing was supposed to be not needed after one fix I did, at least it worked for me for several minutes without hangs. Do you really need that "SPU IRQ Wait" option?

Did you do anything to the sound Notaz?

R5 sounds much better than R4 (at least just on SOTN :) )

notaz said:
All this SPU IRQ messing was supposed to be not needed after one fix I did, at least it worked for me for several minutes without hangs. Do you really need that "SPU IRQ Wait" option?
Yep, I do. It will get a few minutes in without hanging, but then it behaves as I described. I had it running on my actual PSX recently, and when these hangs happen under emulation, seems to coincide with when the actual machine would start making a lot of CD-ROM noise (I don't know if it's loading stuff in at those points, or if it's just the audio, though). If it would be helpful, I'll look into this more.

I don't mind of course, since it's easy to work around. :)

I needed "SPU IRQ Wait" for "Metal Gear Solid". Without this Option, the intro paused every few seconds a little bit. Also the sound had glitches.

Back