Pc-engine Already Ported To Gp2x

DaveC posted on Oct 12 2005 at 09:50 AM said:
centrlink posted on Oct 12 2005 at 11:18 AM said:
DaveC - I've always respected your views mate, and always read your posts with interest. I think most people do, and you are one of the most valuable contributors to the GP32 family.

You may turn out to be right, but I think its too early to take a glass half empty view of the GP2X's future :)

I for one continue to be optimistic about a very playable Amiga emu until such time the system has been out there long enough for devs to rule it out.

Call me an optimist if you must :)

I am not ruling it out. It may be possible but it will be VERY difficult to get it to a point that I consider useful. The Amiga was chock full of custom hardware and that always is a pain for emus.

Take SNES VS Megadrive for example. The MD was a 7 MHz+ 16/32 system where as the SNES had only a 4 MHz 8/16 bit CPU. We have full speed MD emulation with full sound but sluggish SNES emulation. It is the custom hardware that is the difference.

Based on what devs have said about the difficulty with both CPUs with memory mapping, contention etc. Amiga will be a long and difficult project. A single 200 MHz CPU is not strong enough to emulate an Amiga alone so the second CPU will be REQUIRED for decent emulation.

Everyone has opinions on what "decent" means too. For some if you get a game to run at all even if at FS4, 75% speed, and no sound it is useable. For others like me, an emulator is worthless until it can at least do 95% speed, FS 0-2, and have sound. For the first case that is obtainable. For what I want in emulation, Amiga may never reach that level due to hardware limitations and/or coding complexity, just like SNES on GP32. The good news is that the GP2X community will be larger than the GP32 was which means more devs working on things. This means a better chance of decent Amiga emulation :)

I try to be more realistic. Sometimes there is a fine line between realism and pessimism. Being realistic is not always popular but oh well.
The nice thing about amiga emulation is that even if it's not perfect we always have "Plan B", Atari ST emulation. The ST was a competitor to the Amiga, but its design favoured simpler, off the shelf parts over custom chips (Commodore had its own chip plant, while Atari did not). This means that (as we have seen) it is a lot easier to get a 100% Atari ST emulator on gp hardware. Since the Amiga and ST were the top two home computers at the time, most amiga games had an Atari ST version (and vice versa). Bottom line is, if a given game sucks under UAE, there's always the ST version. It may not be as nice as the amiga version (those custom chips did make the hardware more powerful), but at least you can play the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 12 2005 at 04:50 PM said:
I try to be more realistic. Sometimes there is a fine line between realism and pessimism. Being realistic is not always popular but oh well.

You are not realistic. You make solid statements, quoting the more informed twisted to suit your opinion(which IMO is a PSP biased one whatever the discussion). Your not realistic your hostile.

I've lived through on this forum times when overclocking would break your GP32. When GBA was possible(and advertised as such as a selling feature) on the GP32. When Genesis/MAME emulation was never going to happen. shadow warrior code was confusing.

Speculation is heathy. I'm as guilty(more so than the next man), but I would never CAPS anything that I don't know myself. Its just technobabble.

Cyclops posted on Oct 13 2005 at 01:44 PM said:

You are not realistic. You make solid statements, quoting the more informed twisted to suit your opinion(which IMO is a PSP biased one whatever the discussion). Your not realistic your hostile.
I sometimes have problems with what DaveC says, too, but I have never seen him acting pro-PSP. :huh:

I think opinions like DaveC's are needed. Even if he sometimes comes of as too negative he makes you pause and reconsider your own thoughts and hopes on the subject. Which is a good thing!

For now, I'm just hoping that cyclone or Squidge's own asm core can speed up UAE emulation another notch! Later on it will be interesting to see how much the other processor can help out. If any. Even if it's just a dream it would be wonderful to one day have almost perfect Amiga emulation on the GP2X:)

OrR posted on Oct 13 2005 at 11:49 AM said:
Cyclops posted on Oct 13 2005 at 01:44 PM said:
I try to be more realistic.  Sometimes there is a fine line between realism and pessimism.  Being realistic is not always popular but oh well.

I sometimes have problems with what DaveC says, too, but I have never seen him acting pro-PSP. :huh:

I think my take on the infamous DaveC tends to be that he's pro-power, wherever that happens to be available (hence an appearance of pro-PSP-ness; for many tasks it is certainly the more powerful machine by quite a whack), but thankfully that seems to be tempered with an awareness of the value of a good community - hence criticisms of the way the PSP scene has to operate.

However, I must say, I wouldn't say realistic is the word - although I admit to having different values for what is playable and what isn't (also depending on the game), and iirc DaveC's is one of the highest bars in the community.

Trying to say this right without acting a dick:

DaveC is not alone. There are a few people who bought a PSP and clearly have loved it. Who loved the GP32, and its not surprising. With the early days of emulators coming out on the PSP, and some quite notable ones too. It must have seemed like christmas every day, and its a good bit of kit, but it was/is expensive.

Suddenly GPH pull one out the bag, and it causes pause for thought.

The trouble with DaveC's post is not his sentiment, but the spin on the truth. I think its hard to be fair. The only neutral statement ive seen is the genius phrase"the GP2X is an evolution not a revolution" thats pure poetry. I don't like spin, to me its like a nasty lie, its worse if its dressed as truth.

I really wish I could say this better.

DaveC on the processer
33mhz faster than the GP32;slower than the PSP;Dual Core does not make 400Mhz. Needs to utalize both cores for perfect emulation(not of interest unless 95% perfect followed by massive posts).

Reality
50% faster than a GP32; I can't compare mips chips to arm so I know DaveC can't; The suspision is that the GP2X per Mhz faster is faster than the GP32 using one. Dual Core is a bonus(hell everybody who's seen it raves about the video; the GP32 didn't have that) that potentially allows for faster emulation on top, and people are looking at that now. What that means is everything on the GP32 and more(notice no need to use caps).

DaveC on linux
In the way needs to be removed, makes things slow.

Reality
He's never used it. Still not used it. Still makes posts on it. Talking about OS's is dull, and has been done better elsewhere. Reality the 3 uses of it I have seen have produced fast ports. Duke Nukem,Amiga,GBC from the people who have access to some hardware. Good times are coming.

DaveC on emulation
SNES centric, needs 95% perfection, nothing new from the GP32. I won't bother with amiga emulation.

Reality
I want BBC emulation, arcade machine not really neo-geo my sweet spot is 1985, Chances of snes emulation are looking better for the GP32 never mind the GP2X. 95% perfection just grates me, esp since I see wonderful projects happen over years(zsnes) in the aim of perfection. esp when the perfection he's talking about is speed(again concentrating only on those more demanding of the processer). Its clearly not true that this is a GP32; Its all around better and capable of more. I cannot think of anything more bizzare that saying something like that about the amiga in a forum where someone if giving it a serious go.

DaveC on noobz
ooooh noobz

Reality
Gp2X everyones a noob, member number 2550. There seem to be some clever people around, with this being linux, open device, new attracted why put them off.

I've picked out a few fun things. He notable leaves out the wealth of goodies. Always mentions the PSP unless he's hooked onto something negative. I don't like his agenda. Every time I see DaveC posts they are more than likely quotes(taken out of contect of the oringinal thread) followed by an opinion, not a quote followed by a reply. Unless its to ask if they are developing for the PSP.

This is not a reflection by me on DaveC, DaveC is far from being alone. He's clearly a better person than me. He probably saves kittens from skips.

I clearly failed, sod it.

Cyclops posted on Oct 13 2005 at 02:00 PM said:
Trying to say this right without acting a dick:

(hell everybody who's seen it raves about the video; the GP32 didn't have that) that potentially allows for faster emulation on top, and people are looking at that now. What that means is everything on the GP32 and more(notice no need to use caps).

Reality
He's never used it. Still not used it. Still makes posts on it. Talking about OS's is dull, and has been done better elsewhere. Reality the 3 uses of it I have seen have produced fast ports. Duke Nukem,Amiga,GBC from the people who have access to some hardware. Good times are coming.

DaveC on noobz
ooooh noobz

Reality
Gp2X everyones a noob, member number 2550. There seem to be some clever people around, with this being linux, open device, new attracted why put them off.

I've picked out a few fun things. He notable leaves out the wealth of goodies. Always mentions the PSP unless he's hooked onto something negative. I don't like his agenda. Every time I see DaveC posts they are more than likely quotes(taken out of contect of the oringinal thread) followed by an opinion, not a quote followed by a reply. Unless its to ask if they are developing for the PSP.

I clearly failed, sod it.

Dude your nuts :blink: I don't know where you get half of this crap.

Video? well yeah it should do good video since it has hardware decoding in it. This won't help emulation though, that is a separate function.

Linux giving quick ports? yeah, it makes it easy but do you know how well they run? Amiga at 7 FPS with no sound is hardly worthwhile. It will need alot of optimization to run at a playable speed.

Noobz? Where the hell do you see me ever putting down noobz? Now you are just making stuff up.

PSP? what is it with you and the PSP? I mention that the PSP is faster and you make me out to be some PSP fanboi.

You have decided to flame me for everything even if you have to make stuff up to do it. Whatever I have no desire to get into a flame war ;)

Dude your nuts blink.gif I don't know where you get half of this crap.
From your posts.

Video? well yeah it should do good video since it has hardware decoding in it. This won't help emulation though, that is a separate function.
Is this your post ?? http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=281568
I didn't realise that all systems emulated were 320x240. I forgot you don't like scaling.
Linux giving quick ports? yeah, it makes it easy but do you know how well they run? Amiga at 7 FPS with no sound is hardly worthwhile. It will need alot of optimization to run at a playable speed.
I'll just look at the GP32 amiga emulator for a comparison. A program from a destop runs slower on a different hardware platform. with an old kernel, and a high level core, and its just using one cpu, and accurate emulation. He must be heartbroken. Up and running is half the battle optomize later, and I think he says so.

That 5min port of was a GC or SMS seemed a little more nippy though(5 mins). I'd say full speed from the video, not I pointed out to concentrate on more processer hungy machines already.

You see what I mean about spin.

Noobz? Where the hell do you see me ever putting down noobz? Now you are just making stuff up.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=20735&hl=http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=20735&hl=
Remember this intentional or not intentional. It was obvious that is was going to draw the offended and idiots I suggested deleteing it. I suggest you read your topic.

PSP? what is it with you and the PSP? I mention that the PSP is faster and you make me out to be some PSP fanboi.
Is it are you sure. I possibly/probably slower, thats without software optimisation. why you come across as a fanboy? becuase you say stuff like that. Its misleading at best or an outragous lie.

You have decided to flame me for everything even if you have to make stuff up to do it. Whatever go ahead I don't give a shit.

As you see I have made nothing up. I can post more referances if you want. Its nice to know you have tried to spin this a little too.

Cyclops posted on Oct 13 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
Remember this intentional or not intentional. It was obvious that is was going to draw the offended and idiots I suggested deleteing it. I suggest you read your topic.

That was explained in the post already. You obviously have reading comprehension problems, or you comprehend only what you want to. Or you just like to spin it to try to make yourself look holier than thou. Even though I said it was not meant to be derrogatory you post that I was trying to "put them off". I said it was not true then but you choose on your own to ignore that part and spin it in your favor. Show me somewhere in that post where I "put off" noobs.

You are making stuff up.

"Anyway the intention was nothing derrogatory. I was just curious where everyone has heard of this site all of a sudden. It seems like the last month or so it is getting more popular. I see more "newbs" than regulars almost "

It seems the things that you accuse me of you are guilty of yourself. Most of the "spinning" is done by you. You just like to argue and fight. You decided you were going to be against me in every way so you spin things to make me look like some evil asshole bent of destroying the world.

DaveC's problem is that he often posts his opinions and viwes on things as facts. For example the PSP being faster, that is not known with certainty, yet. Or big screens=bad, that is an opinion I and quite a few other people don't share. But he is definately not a PSP fanboy. Afaik he hates the screen resolution. I also can't imagine him bashing noobs. Stop the fighting, it's useless. :p

I remember that thread. And no he wasn't putting down any "noobs" or newbies either for that matter. Me being a newbie I would definately have noticed ;)

DaveC posted on Oct 13 2005 at 07:42 PM said:
That was explained in the post already. You obviously have reading comprehension problems, or you comprehend only what you want to. Or you just like to spin it to try to make yourself look holier than thou. Even though I said it was not meant to be derrogatory you post that I was trying to "put them off". I said it was not true then but you choose on your own to ignore that part and spin it in your favor. Show me somewhere in that post where I "put off" noobs.

You are making stuff up.

"Anyway the intention was nothing derrogatory. I was just curious where everyone has heard of this site all of a sudden. It seems like the last month or so it is getting more popular. I see more "newbs" than regulars almost "

It seems the things that you accuse me of you are guilty of yourself. Most of the "spinning" is done by you. You just like to argue and fight. You decided you were going to be against me in every way so you spin things to make me look like some evil asshole bent of destroying the world.

Right if you read my post in that forum you see. I stick up for you , but I did think the thread was off. I'm not holier than though. I'm awful. I should put posts better, and nicer. I really worried about that first post to you because I knew I'd come accross as a dick. Just think about your posts.

Children, children. Stop fighting.

Is it me, or has the pressure, and anticipation made people a bit edgy? It sounds almost like a PSP-board, with whiny 14 year olds sharing their True and Factual opinions on Gaming, Life and Everything, then calling people "tards" when their opinion deviates from theirs...

I'd also like to take this moment to remind everyone how far off target this thread has gotten:

We were talking about the wonderful news that Squidge had done early porting work on the PCE emulator. All the stuff Squidge works on brings him and every other Dev a little closer to understanding the machine and making it do things no one would expect. I'm sure if you'd told anyone the GP32 could do 3D on any level way back when it first started out you get funny looks but it does now. The early stages of porting for anything will look rough but as they tinker with it more it will improve. It may be as little as a 1% or it could be 70% or more in improvment but they've got to work on it to make any progress. If you arnt a dev you cant say for certain and honestly I dont hink even a dev can untill they really spend some time digging through the guts of the system.

PCE is a work in progress as is UAE, it's something to keep in mind.

OrR posted on Oct 13 2005 at 07:53 PM said:
DaveC's problem is that he often posts his opinions and viwes on things as facts. For example the PSP being faster, that is not known with certainty, yet. Or big screens=bad. Afaik he hates the screen resolution. I also can't imagine him bashing noobs. Stop the fighting, it's useless. :p

I never said big screens = bad. I said the WIDE screen format and resolution on the PSP is not ideal for emulators. That really isn't an opinion it IS a fact if you look at the specs, sizes etc and research it. If you don't think it is fact then prove it wrong. I don't just make that stuff up to be contrary.

I didn't want this flame war, but Cyclops insisted on attacking so...

I never bashed noobs either. On the contrary I have given advice and HELPED many times. The only time I have ever been a bit of a smart ass is when a noob would come on here asking for N64 or DS emulation :p

Back to PC-Engine I hope this will surpass GP-engine. PC-engine was a cool system with great GFX for its time.

it's so hard to stop these damn flame wars once they start. Not that I would know about that? ;)

IMO, Pc Engine with the added CD support in it's many incarnations (cd-rom2, super cd & arcade cd) Will make the Pc Engine emu just as important as a megadrive or snes emu for me. As it had much better support for cd software than the megadrive ever did.

x68000 posted on Oct 14 2005 at 09:55 AM said:
Not that I would know about that? ;)

yeah, mr. low-blow(last post in locked thread)

..anyway, hopefully we'll run PCE cd games like with the emu on psp, but we'll have better controls and a better display ;)

If we could get the source code to any of those PC-Engine emus it would help speed developement up.

The GP2X could really use perfect PC-Engine emulation. Heres hoping.

DaveC posted on Oct 12 2005 at 05:50 PM said:
Being a whiner is never popular.

Niether is adding pointless, offtopic posts...

All I could hope for is DraculaX, I have a JAP to ENG translation patch that does some of the game, otherwise I have the games script, and I'd have to say other than SOTN and DoS, this has to be my favorite Castlevania game.

There's also some good shooters for pcengine cd

Operation Wolf is pretty neat, along with bomberman 94 i think it was (that bomberman game is like the genesis version which is my fav...)

I just hope that there is any emulator playable at launch.

What's yer guys fav tg16/pcengine game?

Back