Pc-engine Already Ported To Gp2x

Squidge posted on Oct 3 2005 at 09:48 AM said:
Quake and UAE are the ones I'd like to see up and running full speed, if possible. So, I suppose you could say they are my personal favorite projects at the moment. I did think of porting Frodo and BOR as well, but I think I'll be concentrating on UAE/Quake for a while, as they have captured my interest. Better to have a single working emu out there, rather than 10 half-working ones :)

The guy that originally ported Frodo to the GP32 is getting a GP2X so no rush with that one.

Do you think you will get these working with sound eventually?

Last edited by a moderator:
@squidge

just wondering if you had a look at the details on that emu?

do you think it looks viable?

It would really be a killer emu if it could be pulled off.

no probs mate, but i do hope you get a chance too.

Just make sure that youre feet are clean first - as it will blow your socks off :)

I'd be more than willing to donate, if you could or someone would be able to code for this.

Just wanted to say that your decision to keep working on this two projects first before doing further porting is really good. I was a bit afraid that you keep porting tons of things, without getting anything running perfect.

I think everyone thinks the same way, so don't worry about having not the time to port more. ;)

Digitalrat posted on Oct 5 2005 at 07:08 AM said:
Just wanted to say that your decision to keep working on this two projects first before doing further porting is really good. I was a bit afraid that you keep porting tons of things, without getting anything running perfect.

I think everyone thinks the same way, so don't worry about having not the time to port more. ;)
Agreed - stick to one or two projects at a time, at least until you get bored of them.

x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 07:50 AM said:
no probs mate, but i do hope you get a chance too.

Just make sure that youre feet are clean first - as it will blow your socks off :)

I'd be more than willing to donate, if you could or someone would be able to code for this.

But did you see the resolution? It is like 4X the screen res of the GP2X so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

x68000 posted on Oct 7 2005 at 11:16 PM said:
hmmmm, could be a definite problem

Could you see a way to get around it dave?

You could scale the screen down and cut out pixels like GBA emus do. It would look ugly as hell though. With TV out you could get closer but I think that is still not enough. That thing had crazy high resolution for it's time and from those screenshots it looked like they used it. That was very advanced and I am surprised it never caught on, it was pretty awesome. It looked like a gaming computer super system of it's day. It was a nice piece of kit and I would not be too hopeful of seeing it run on a GP2X or any handheld any time soon.

Your best bet is to run it on your PC through an emu.

fritz300 posted on Oct 8 2005 at 07:42 AM said:
Don't they have a PC Engine emu running on the PSP?

They have one on the PSP, the PC, GBA, Palm, PPC, GP32 etc. What does that have to do with it running on the GP2X?

i still have an original x68030 system with a lot of the better games, but i rarely play it as i just leave it in it's box these days. I may sell it on ebay before christmas. An emu would be fantastic, but may be a little unrealistic.

I'd love for more people to see it running as i know they would be blown away by it.

Thanks for checking this out dave :)

i dont' think this system ran most of those games at 1024x768...that's the max resolution, though. i mean, it was first released in '87 and most people didn't have displays that could do xga resolution in those times, right? wasn't this x6800 used with regular tvs? then the resolution would most likely be around the 320x240 area, right?
reading about it, it looks like a powerful system that had perfect arcade conversions..looks cool

Iirc, most games ran at around 640x480 ish, but not sure... however, whereas 1024x768 starts to look a serious problem, I suspect the main issue with 640x480 would simply be the additional time it took to write the info to memory for an area 4 times the size of one for 320x240.

We do have hardware scaling onto the screen, though, so THAT at least would (theoretically) not be an issue...

@junker - the system cannot be ran using a regular tv, has to be used with a monitor.

Unlike the amiga, there was no tv modulators made for the system

Squidge posted on Oct 3 2005 at 07:18 PM said:
Quake and UAE are the ones I'd like to see up and running full speed, if possible. So, I suppose you could say they are my personal favorite projects at the moment. I did think of porting Frodo and BOR as well, but I think I'll be concentrating on UAE/Quake for a while, as they have captured my interest. Better to have a single working emu out there, rather than 10 half-working ones :)

You *do* realise, don't you, that with E-UAE running smoothly on it that Sensible World of Soccer (SWOS) will stop any further development efforts, don't you? At least it would with me...

Hell, if you can get E-UAE running smoothly on it (and I don't doubt that this looks feasible) with SWOS, I'll never get much else done... I dread to think how many hundreds (thousands?) of hours I used to spend playing it.

Hi Squidge, first i'd like to say i'm happy your adding something to the gp2x when it eventually arrives so don't be offended by the following diatribe. :)

I just wish that quake and the little known UAE emulator were not priority over the pcengine emulator which plays a large library of games over the one trick pony quake.

We've all played quake till the cows come home and although it would be nice to try UAE out the interest doesn't seem as high as the Turbografx16 is I believe. Whatever you work on is whatever you work on but quake again for the umpteenth time seems the one to wait on at least in my opinion. :D

Well at least something seems to be in the works with definite progress to our favorite little yet unreleased handheld.
Hope your coding goes well and thanks for creating something we can use on our personal media machine. Later Squidge. Joe.

Back