PanMAME Betatesting

I sent a PM to john4p hoping he could work his magic on the latest notaz SDL, maybe he will help.

notaz would be the man for this but I don't want to bug him as he is the kernel man also.
You just need to do the following 3 modifications to notaz' latest SDL in src/video/omapdss/osdl_video.c:

1) in line 294 change:

ret = osdl_setup_omapfb(fd, 1, x, y, w, h, width * height * ((bpp + 7) / 8) * 2);

to:

ret = osdl_setup_omapfb(fd, 1, x, y, w, h, width * height * ((bpp + 7) / 8) * 3);

2) in line 325 change:

pdata->fbdev = vout_fbdev_init(fbname, &width, &height, bpp, doublebuf ? 2 : 1);

to:

pdata->fbdev = vout_fbdev_init(fbname, &width, &height, bpp, doublebuf ? 3 : 1);

3) in line 333 change:

border_l, border_r, border_t, border_b, doublebuf ? 2 : 1);

to:

border_l, border_r, border_t, border_b, doublebuf ? 3 : 1);

Then you can easily build the sdl lib using autotools. I've built it directly on Pandora.

Would be convenient if notaz made this configurable as an entry to the omapsdl.cfg, e.g. "alternative_dblbuffering = 1" would use 3 instead of 2 in the parts posted above.

Thanks! Is this what works for you, or is this something, that would work with more than 2x scale?

Thanks! Is this what works for you, or is this something, that would work with more than 2x scale?
That's just what fixed the tearing for UAE4All. Doublebuffering wasn't working correctly.

I don't know what notaz' latest SDL is capable of. But if it already works for more than 2x scaling then it will still work after this modification.

Last edited by a moderator:
We tried your lib, but that can't allocate memory if the size is bigger than 800x600.

I did the modifications to an older version of notaz' SDL. Maybe his most current release can allocate the memory needed.

But why do you need to display gfx > 800x600 on an 800x480-display?

Because we have scale3x filters ;) It renders to the higher resolution and can apply the filters to it, then it downscales to the screenres, what is a neat trick, as you can't apply those filters, if you only have 2x scaling. Also MAME has some wired resolutions to deal with.

I will try it, thanks a lot again!

Ah, okay. I used to think on a handheld screen filters like Scale3x, Eagle or 2xSai wouldn't be needed but you can definitely see the improvement.

Yes, thats why I want to keep them, if I can. Would be easy to just not allow scaling, but meh, some older games can do 3x without too much performance loss.

I dont suppose we could see some more videos of this :) with the cool different themese people are using etc.
Would like to some pics/videos with different skins, but when I try to upload it tells me I don't have permission. Does anyone know how I could get upload permissions or who to contact?

I integrated the changes from John4p in Notaz latest sdl from git and tearing seems to be gone.

Bad news: the resolutionrestriction is still there, but some games can be stretched to 3x now.

I think I will remove the Mode... Line from the videomenu, so you can use Magnify to scale to higher resolutions only. Also, selecting higher resolutions shouldn't crash anymore, but just lead them to be not selectable. That should be fine for everyone, Ithink.

Things like this is why I love this community (gp32x.de included).

Thank you to mcobit, john4p, and notaz of course.

Looking forward to more testing. :D

I think that should be fine, as in machines like CPS2, the scaling to 3x doesn't really make sense anyway.

Also in next release, I will set nubs automatically to joystickmode and back, as them being in mousemode doesn't make any sense.

I think that should be fine, as in machines like CPS2, the scaling to 3x doesn't really make sense anyway.

Also in next release, I will set nubs automatically to joystickmode and back, as them being in mousemode doesn't make any sense.

Awsome can't wait :)

New version on repo!

0.106.1.8:

- Used a modified version of notaz sdl to archive proper doublebuffering (thanks john4p)

- You can only select resolutions with the Magnify option now, resolutions, that are not supported, won't be applied

- Nubs should be set to joystickmode automatically now and are restored on quitting the menu

- No need to delete the .advance directory for this update

And here is the complete source for advmenu, advmame and notaz sdl with all modifications I have made until now.

It compiles out of the box in sebt3's toolchain. If you are using another environment, be sure to define -DPANDORA when compiling to get the changes in.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i13oua1cx3oucw8

video, video, video :)
Sorry, I don't know if I can make a video today, but jw11611 seems to have one, that he just needs to upload somewhere...

Edit: Also, why not just donwload and test it yourself milkshake?

Sorry, I don't know if I can make a video today, but jw11611 seems to have one, that he just needs to upload somewhere...

I'm on it. Still have about 3 hours before I get home but will have the video uploaded shortly after. Video will include 0.106.1.8 version of PanMane with custom advmenu skin and video previews.

I'm on it. Still have about 3 hours before I get home but will have the video uploaded shortly after. Video will include 0.106.1.8 version of PanMane with custom advmenu skin and video previews.
great, can't you simply upload it to youtube?

great, can't you simply upload it to youtube?
Should be able to. I don't have a youtube account but hear it's pretty easy to figure out. I'll try that first and see how it goes.

Back