A Personal Opinion About The Case (Moulding)

Just a thought....

Since these things are a modders dream anyway, how about if they case cracks or whatever, that person can order or be covered by warranty with a new case at a later date? That way he can get his pandora, and feel comfortable with being covered?

OK, people this went off topic like the another monstruous thread.

MW CX wont Go to china, please stop suggesting it. (i wont quote it because they said it several times)

it would be nearly pointless, as usefull as a skype session with them. and X times much more expensive.
if they went there, they could end up on a chair on a hotel all day doing nothing but waiting some answers.
they would have to find a translator (a good one), something a bit expensive.

they could just contract a 3rd party consultancy firm that know how to push and how to get things straight. for much less than the plane tickets.

and if Fatih and his friend cant get communications straight well, i bet no one will be able to.

going back to topic.

i was also wondering if these cases objective are to check if requested changes are done properly and not to check cosmetic quality.
anyway, my questions would be:

1) why the big crack on the hinge?(dont ask directly if it was due some "Excuse" because they will way yes for sure)
2) are these parts still missing the final re-working? (talking about the finishing to get matte ending)(well also for the jagged areas)
3) you havent used any Master batch right? just pumped them out using recycled material? or are you having a serious problem with mixtures and parameters?.
4) why the diference in quality between screen lid and keyboard parts.
5) you need to state not only if a good case is shown, only to point out i like that one, but also to define a variability and re-ejected patterns.
6) if next one comes only thru photos, please ask that more than one to get on the photo since most of the time they will only show the best of the batch and the rest might be just crap.

... OK sorry breakfast goes first ill be right back.

... im back.

well i dont see any forther points. i believe OPT will have to risk some first MP in order to check if MP units are superior.

what would be the least ammount of cases that can be setup for this MP?, (yes i know contract is for 10k)

• Get the cases that they've paid for from this factory.
  • If the cases aren't good enough, open source the schematics for the case and let any company make their own custom versions to sell.
  • Users will buy the cases that they like the best and review all the cases from the different companies.
  • Let the company that makes the most popular case supply the default cases for Pandora 2.

Problem solved :D

Tripmonkey_uk said:
  • If the cases aren't good enough, open source the schematics for the case and let any company make their own custom versions to sell.
  • Users will buy the cases that they like the best and review all the cases from the different companies.
  • Let the company that makes the most popular case supply the default cases for Pandora 2.

one big issue!

are they refunding for the non delivered cases?

Last edited by a moderator:
DroneB Dev said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:

one big issue!

are they refunding for the non delivered cases?
What non delivered cases?
This would mean that the Pandora would have to ship with cases as planned, they just wouldn't have to be perfect.
M.Weston's already said that they are structurally sound.

i believe everyone are mixing and quoting OUTDATED INFO.

a huge crack on the hinge means it is NOT structuraly good.

i believe that what he wanted to say is that the shape factor is good enough.

something i would believe if these case can be assembled with no problems. so the remaining problems are not mould based, but
on the production and QC terms

DroneB Dev said:
*snip*
2) are these parts still missing the final re-working? (talking about the finishing to get matte ending)(well also for the jagged areas)
*snip*
Any idea if this matte finish gets applied to the mould themselves?

I would imagine that if the modifications to moulds involve machining them (by hand or machine) then the finish will get eaten by it. If the matte finish exists only on the surface, any machining would even indirectly cause wear on it, even erase it completely.

By the looks of the marks around the key and button holes on the keyboard face of the lower part, it seems like the matte was erased by the modifications. These marks seem to follow the edges of the holes, which I would imagine the machine tool would need to do, in order to adjust the hole size. The moulds are the negative of the cases, right? In that case it make sense that the matte finish got affected on those parts.

hmm, matte ending is not mould based usually since it is not as easy to get as a shiny.

on the factory i know, they use some chemical bath in order to do that.

Where I worked, all matte parts were already matte when coming out of the tool. We had no chemicals or tumblers.
Someone mentioned that this factory uses a tumbler, but I don't know if it was just a guess.

DroneB Dev said:
i believe everyone are mixing and quoting OUTDATED INFO.

a huge crack on the hinge means it is NOT structuraly good.
Sorry but after reading through all the info, I was under the assumption that the cracked hinge was due to either the crap plastic used or the miss aligning of the tools; not a problem with the actual mould or design of the case itself.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Sorry but after reading through all the info, I was under the assumption that the cracked hinge was due to either the crap plastic used or the miss aligning of the tools; not a problem with the actual mould or design of the case itself.
That's the point: we don't know anything about any of this! It's all speculation. The very last step they could have done before sending them out was take a hammer to that piece of plastic on every single one for all we know. People seem to be basing solid opinions on hearsay, and it's a little scary.

Tripmonkey_uk said:

This is an absolutely outstanding idea.
If anyone in the electronic gadget press bags on the crappy cases, OP can say,
well, we opened up the case design, FTW!
Brilliant!

Drak said:
Lumpy, wonky, and scratched... :(

Three of Snow White's dwarfs you don't often hear about.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a case like this as a temporary thing, just as long as I could buy a 'fixed' one later on separately. AFter watching Evildragon's "putting the pandora together" video, it seemed real easy to put together.

Back