PanMAME Betatesting

Thank you mcobit for the quick answer (and the amazing emulator btw ;) )

I changed to "AdvanceMAME" and it works now. At least it lists the roms correctly. But when I try to launch any of them, I only get a black screen, then it returns to the roms selection menu. If I put them again in the "rom" directory in appdata/panmame, they work fine. It seems there is another setting to tweak...

Maybe you have to give the correct path in the advmame.rc file, too.

I think I know whats wrong:

Notaz old sdl forces doublebuffering, but the new one doesn't do that, I forgot to add a =1 behind the SDL_OMAP_FORCE_DOUBLEBUF.

Will be fixed in next release, but for now, if it really annoys you, you can mount the pnd manually, copy the startupscript advmenu.sh out of it and into a folder called scripts in the appdata/panmame directory. Then edit that file, that the line looks like this: export SDL_OMAP_FORCE_DOUBLEBUF=1 and save.

I did that and it helps with Gauntlet but still has problems in other games Like Commando (Capcom, 1985).

Then I tried this:

Adding Notaz SDL libs to fheroes2 , causes heavy flickering in the game [on all Notaz SDL configs] and renders game unplayable.
Here's the modified SDL lib which solved the tearing issue with UAE4All:

http://www.mediafire...28xlnhkxmtxdi78

Maybe Heroes2 works fine with it, too.

If you put the modified SDL library linked above in the appdata/panmame/lib folder it fixes the tearing problem

but does not work with the AdvancedMenu front end.

omapsdl: SETUP_MEM: Cannot allocate memory

Signal SIGSEGV[Mapper], fault at (nil), from code at (nil)

But if you comment out the ./bin/advmenu line and add ./bin/advmame commando the game 'Commando' and others I tried play without tearing or rippling.

This is with all other settings being the same.

So maybe john4p or even the legendary notaz could help us here?

Thanks again!!!

Hmmm, I'll have to check, what is different in the menu, that it doesn't work.

Maybe I can only use notaz sdl for mame, not for the menu.

Lemme experiment a bit :)

Edit: Thanks a lot for testing!

Edit2: This sdllib works for me with rhe menu, too. Did you change window to fullscreen in the advmenu.rc by any chance? This could explain the error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you have to give the correct path in the advmame.rc file, too.

Thank you for your fast reply. Unfortunately I followed your suggestion but it didn't seem to work. Did someone suceed in pointing to another roms folder? Duplicating those romsets everytime eat a lot of space on my SD card ;)

I've managed to redirect the file path for roms, you have to select the exact path for the alternate folder (didn't work for me typing it it, I had to copy it from a file explorer), and paste it into the second half of the roms line(after the colon)

Hope this helps!

(null)

Hmmm, I'll have to check, what is different in the menu, that it doesn't work.

Maybe I can only use notaz sdl for mame, not for the menu.

Lemme experiment a bit :)

Edit: Thanks a lot for testing!

Edit2: This sdllib works for me with rhe menu, too. Did you change window to fullscreen in the advmenu.rc by any chance? This could explain the error.

No problem with testing. MAME has been my favorite for years.

So yours works with the john4p mod sdl linked above?

What firmware are you using?

I did a ref-flash of SuperZaxxonB1.1 firmware

PanMAME Version:0.106.1.6

I renamed the appdata/panmame folder so that it would respawn

When I put notaz's latest sdl in appdata/panmame/lib the menu works

When I put john4p's modified sdl (media fire link above) in appdata/panmame/lib the menu will not launch and it quits to desktop

When I put earlier notaz sdl versions in appdata/panmame/lib the menu will not launch and it quits to desktop

I tested it again and it seems like the problem is, that the lib from mediafire can't downscale high resolutions.

If you set the menuresolution to 800, it will work, but for stuff higher than 860, it can't allocate the memory.

I could try to use SWSURFACE instead of HWSURFACE, if this is a videoramlimitation.

If you just set it to 800, mame and the menu will run, but you can't use 3x scaling for the games, as this will cause mame to crash, so I have to see, if the above will work.

Edit: If I can get it to work, so that it can at least do 3x resolution without crashing, I will include that lib as default.

How do you set the menu resolution to 800?

Is this done in advmame.rc?

I tried:

device_video_overlaysize 800

display_size 800

and

device_video_overlaysize 640

display_size 640

Still no menu with older SDL library.

How do you set the menu resolution to 800?

Is this done in advmame.rc?

I tried:

device_video_overlaysize 800

display_size 800

and

device_video_overlaysize 640

display_size 640

Still no menu with older SDL library.

I'll release a new pnd shortly,that has the same sdllib, but should work with the one from mediafirelink, too. But note, that you can't select higher modes as 2x if you choose to use this version.

Will the hiscore.dat work with this build? Thanks Bud

I'll have a look at dat files in general and you could test if it works, ok?

Edit: from what I can see, dropping dat files directly into the appdatafolder should work. If not, maybe you will have to create a directory called bin in appdata/panmame/ and copy them there.

I put the hiscore.dat in both locations and it works ( restarted and double checked) .

I just don't know wich location in the appdata it uses..But it works :)

New version on repo!

0.106.1.7:

- Now has proper documentation

- Firstrunscript, that shows the readme and sets up the appdatafolders, when you click on ok button

- Savestates are mapped to shift for save and caps lock (Fn+shift) for load (note, that not all games support savestates.)

- Tweaked menusize to 800 to run with older notazsdl versions, if you want to use them.

Please delete .advance folder from appdata/panmame when updating!

If you want to keep your old buttonconfigs, see last releasepost on how to do so.

Have fun!

Edit: Most stuff should work as expected now. Please tell me, if anything is missing and if you find something, I'll see, if I can include it.

I had a look at the dk2 rom and driver, but it seems like a lot of stuff changed in later mame versions, where it is included, so I tried, but I can't get the driver to compile, sorry :(

I put the hiscore.dat in both locations and it works ( restarted and double checked) .

I just don't know wich location in the appdata it uses..But it works :)

Hi scores should work out of the box.

The hiscore.dat is already included in the PDF.

If you want to update it put a newer hiscore.dat in appdata/panmame/share/advance/ folder.

@mcobit, downloading now, thanks

I will upload the complete source of my modified AdvanceMenu and AdvanceMAME tomorrow evening, maybe someone wants to have a look and improve it further.

Seibu spi hardware is there a problem with sound driver as mame 106 runs it fine on my pc but sound is messed up in advance mame tried viper phase 1 raiden fighters 1 2 and battle balls all running more or less fullspeed with overclocking shame as viper is my fav game.

This could be caused by a too slow emulation. Or you could try to set the samplerate from 11025 to 44100 in the advmame.rc and see, if it improves things, may cost some performance though.

Also you could try to set resampling from emulation to internal and see, if it works better.

Thanks mcobit, all is well now.

Using the john4p mod of notaz's SDL library works with advancedMENU and all tearing is gone.

For those who want to see what I was on about play Commando (Capcom, 1985) and once you start moving up the field you will see a vertical ripple across the screen.

This can be fixed by placing the john4p mod of notaz's SDL library (mediafire link in the quote below or in .zip attached to this post) into appdata/panmame/lib/ folder. You have to create the lib folder yourself.

Adding Notaz SDL libs to fheroes2 , causes heavy flickering in the game [on all Notaz SDL configs] and renders game unplayable.
Here's the modified SDL lib which solved the tearing issue with UAE4All:

http://www.mediafire...28xlnhkxmtxdi78

Maybe Heroes2 works fine with it, too.
john4p_mod_of_notaz_sdl_library.zip

Attachments

• john4p_mod_of_notaz_sdl_library.zip
    721.5 KB · Views: 125
Back