Pandora Should Move To Android

Exophase said:
- But to all the "let's stay with Linux" crowd, Android is still Linux.
Is it?

EDIT: this topic is growing faster than I can read it <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Yoyobuae said:
EDIT: this topic is growing faster than I can read it <_<
And it's linked to from Craig's twitter account.
*waves at camera*

Even thoughI love Android and all devices that embed it, I won`t support any kind of official change. Yes, I want to experience Android on the Pandora, but I don't want to kill the PND experience and the Hardcore Linux possibilities.
Of course, there are potential users that are not interested in all capabilities Linux has to offer in Pandora. So, at best, OpenPandora could support both as standards that can be directed installed into the device. So us linux/hardcores can still enjoy our full OS and dev/apps possibilities, without having to scared away our potential next clients.

Of course, that's just my opinion.... It makes sense for me. We should discuss all possibilities about this during the weeks to come before Batch Two.

Android is a totally different dev environment. Pandora should be an evolved and improved GP2X. Devs have already spent a lot of time developing and improving software for it. By choosing for Android you might scare of those devs, and that are the devs we need most (i.e Notaz).

Android is nice and I support anyone porting it, but it shouldn't be enforced or requested by the OPT.

I think Android should be an official option on the Pandora, but also available with it's current OS. More options is always a good thing.

Just in case anyone missed it, there is now a poll where you can vote on whether Android should be the default OS:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55417-android-poll/page__st__15

The results so far are pretty one-sided...

Calm down guys.

The only way Android will happen is if Craig hires a development team. It's not likely.

typs lik dis said:
I have severed friendships because the other parties have bought android devices and shoved them in my face like it's the next thing since sliced bread.

You're kidding right? Oh dear.

Android on the Pandora as a third party or community driven alternate operating system? Yes.

Android on the Pandora as a replacement for Angstrom as the default operating system? NO!

OpenPandora LTD spending time, money, or resources on Android?

NO!

24ux2lh.jpg

I don't have time to look through all 13 pages on this thread, but just so you know, you can write for Android in C++, I have written full games for Android that are 100% C++ except for some startup/shutdown code, and the music/audio code (and hopefully music/audio will be available properly in C++ at some point too).

It's not the best development environment in the world (using native code for Android) but it is very much possible.

Steve

Why throw away what you've got? Not knowing much about any of it, it would seem that you'd be constrained to do things the Android way instead of any way you like. Would you have the same freedom to just compile a program on the device and run it, for example Firefox? I think Android does fit in for phones but it's usefulness for wider ranging devices is currently limited.

It should be an option but not the Primary OS. I don't really see what you would gain exactly from making a forced transition over to Android, I like the OS but I don't really think it suits the device. From an end user point of view the joy of the current OS is that it acts like a desktop.

I would also suggest the OPT concentrate on polishing the current OS before they start thinking about anything else, or finishing the pre orders. Finish a project before you start another one please lads.

It would be nice if an easy simple install were available, but I don't think it should be the primary focus. i.e. It can run, but it shouldn't ship with it.

Delurking....

Like many of us, I've been waiting for my Pandora for some time now and I continue to wait because it is a unique product that I very much want to get my hands on. If it was just another Android clone then I would have cancelled my order ages ago.

I don't even want Android as an option since I'd rather see Team Pandora put their efforts into making this special, unique device even more special and unique rather than some Android also-ran.

I like Android and have an Android phone but don't want it on the Pandora. The Pandora is something different in my eyes.

Current Pandora OS - Unique, special, different...exciting!
Android - Commodity, commonplace....boring!

Cheers,
Mike

craigix said:
Consider:

The Pandora should move to Android to get real commercial software and games - plus it's only a matter of time before someone else releases an Android games console (which works well), Pandora should be first.

Discuss...
You are working pretty hard to split the Community, right?
The discussion alone confuses people more than it helps. Devs could stop working because they are unsure now if they should still use Angstrom or move to Android or just waiting what will happen in the future...
I would be really pissed if I'm a Dev and woked all the time on Angstrom to improve it for the Pandora and then you come and trash all the hard work for switching to another OS? :blink:
And I doubt that Android is faster than Angstrom, I doubt it will run better onto the Pandora and I guess it needs another year to make it run good enough for the needs of the Pandora. And nobody knows what Problems appear with Android onto the Pandora.
I don't get it, what is meant by "real commercial software" because this can be done for Angstrom too. If people want Android Software, they buy an Android Device or they put Android onto the Pandora for their own.
I want Pandora Software, I like the PND system and I really believe in Homebrew. I believe that Homebrew can be as good as "commercial software" and we can prove this with using Angstrom onto the Pandora and NOT using Android and commercial software. ;)

I wouldn't care about an Andoroid Gaming Console, let them make a million Android Gaming Consoles! :) We have the Pandora, we don't need Android, we don't need (many) commercial Games.
If you want to make money, simply build and sell more Pandoras, this is the much more efficient way. ^^

This topic even makes one of the few women here cry out loud.

I still don't know if Craig is serious with this, but here's a little more after trying to gather my thoughts.

Android has an Appstore. Making Android run on the Pandora has the immediate effect of a huge choice of software including countless support forums and stuff
-> Community killer, as mentioned above not only will there be a splitting here but for most of the support people would just wander off to obscure phone sites

Just like the Apple Appstore there is a multitude of applications to choose from
-> Choose freely between hundreds of apps for the same purpose and mostly without a complete feature set as a desktop program would provide.
-> Get a wide range of Apps that merely offer web services - yay let's install an app instead of making a bookmark, that's wise!
-> Fart apps and kin - there is *so* much useless software - comparing android app stores to the n900 repository is like comparing a tree to a fruit basket, but for me at least there's just nothing missing!
-> Free apps are quite often ad-supported - yay for adsense in my software!

Pandora has no accelerometer, no GPS, no 3G, no vibration
-> Google does not support the device.
-> No orientation detection = most games don't work unless you can translate nubs input to virtual accelerometer input - now that I mention this, sounds feasible
-> Lots of apps rely on location data
-> I have an Archos 7 Home Tablet which has no accelerometer, it sucks and I know it

It may be a smart move coupled with loads of stupidity. I'd rather skip the smart move to avoid the stupidity.

Alternative, yes. I mean it's already there and has been tried (see youtube). Devs with interest will inevitably work with it so eventually users will, too.

Default, nevar!

Is it an enthusiast/niche device through, by and for us or something you want to conquer the world with economically?
Eh?
Aha.
Lay off the booze damnit!

I can see the appeal of instantly opening the Pandora to a huge back catalogue of commercial software and apps, but I feel that this would confuse the direction of the Pandora.

The Pandora's current OS has been selected, is being optimised and developed for, and with only a few hundred units in the wild Apps and Games are surfacing almost every day. Changing OS ether as an option or as an official OS would confuse matters, alienate devs who have already invested a lot of time and expertise in the current OS, dilute developments, some would favour one platform over the other. A second OS would I think also damage the momentum development has gained so far.

At the end of the day, the Pandora has never been a mainstream device and as far as I know, has never had any aspirations as such. Considering Andriod as an OS instantly opens up the Pandora for comparison with the many other Android devices already out there.

Lets focus on a single OS, and let the momentum continue.

I'd ordered 2 Pandora's and i'm still waiting. ;) Sure, Android would be a nice OS, but i like Angstrom more than Android. As Option would Android ok, but please don't move away from the Angström OS.

My 2 cents, murphy

PS: I don't like Java ;)

Back