Pandora Should Move To Android

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by craigix, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Exophase

Exophase Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.

IMO yes... there are lots of forks of the Linux kernel, maybe not usually as decisive as this but I'm sure even Pandora's kernel hasn't been fully passed upstream yet. To me this is like saying GP2X isn't Linux because it's shipping with an ancient kernel. So long as a fork doesn't strip away major functionality it should still qualify.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  2. HackModford

HackModford Member

I like the idea and would be perfectly happy if it was android.

3. Jourdy288

Jourdy288 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. Fifteen pages... I hate to say this, but TL:DR.
    I don't think it SHOULD move to Android, but I do think that there should be Android as an option.

4. PokeParadox

PokeParadox Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder Staff Member

I have no issue if Android compatibility is bolted onto our OS... so you can access the Android apps and run them, but to switch to Android completely is just silly.

5. rv6502

rv6502 Member

exclusively move to? maybe not.
    but having Android as a supported OS can't hurt.

as for getting commercial software & games, getting more than 1000 devices out there might help a lot ;)

I got to try barzoule's Pandora at @Party2010 and we discussed making games, the market is still much too small to support pandora-exclusive commercial projects but I'm planning on doing Pandora ports of my games as they're developed under Linux anyway.
    I just need my device to test :p

6. Caine

Caine Hardcore Member

Summary so far: (no|yes|ok, but only as an option)*

7. Loonie

Loonie Active Member

Personally, I would not be interested, though perhaps it could be an option.

8. trix

trix Very Active Member

LOL that's a great summary of basically every post in this thread.

9. Eniko

Eniko Raving Python fangirl

There are a few people who don't agree with this view, you know.

10. yodaofborg

yodaofborg Assimilated you will be!

Yeah, but their posts got buried so fast by those of us thinking the above, that nobody saw em!

11. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

The link sound like they are using custom API / interfaces. IMHO this is line I draw to take apart what is a simple fork (that will/may be merge back) and something that isn't linux anymore.

When I sugested the idea to use Stuckie extention system, I was thinking about : chroot the whole android image, provide device interface (a few mknod) and force it to use second framebuffer.
    But as android is using a custom framebuffer API, that won't work. At least without a large job on the base Android libs. At this point, you're not packaging, you are porting from a plateform to an other.
    What I was suggesting was feasible in a reasonable time-frame for an high-level hacker (that's not me, obviously), but with the API changes the timeframe is way less reasonable.
    and knowing that the beagleboard team still have no framebuffer for android is a clear indication that the changes are not obvious at all'.

12. Exophase

Exophase Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.

To me I think it qualifies as "Linux" so long as the base APIs, syscalls, driver model, etc are still available. I don't know if it's the case on Android, that they're using custom new interfaces on top of everything, or if they have stripped out and replaced things. I'm not trying to force a semantic argument on this, the reason why I think this is relevant is because it dictates whether or not Linux things can be ported to it.

Can you link me to any kind of writeup of Android's framebuffer API? I'm wondering if an emulation device is not possible. You seem to be talking about allowing Android to be ran within a vanilla Linux build like what we currently have. I'm thinking more the opposite, going to an Android that's compatible with current Pandora applications as a Linux substitute (obviously won't work for anything relying on X, but apps using SDL or fbdev/OSS/ALSA/etc straight could).

I'm concerned about any OS options, particularly ones that gain any fair amount of traction, that cause a fundamental software compatibility split. I don't like knowing that, even optionally, the already small Pandora userbase might not have routine access to the same app pool. People will dual boot, but inevitably a lot of them will end up sticking with whatever they use the most, because switching OSes is a pain. So if compatibility isn't there I don't think both should be supported/endorsed options.

13. puppydee

puppydee Linux Virgin!

I don't really mind either way but I might be selling my pandora anyhow since I might be needing some cash for real life type of things, it's complicated :)

14. SomeGuy99

SomeGuy99 :)

15. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

Nothing outside the register link above. I didn't knew before reading this article.
    In fact the last time I checked android, I discovered that they were using their own libc (containing their own threading implementation) , I was gone like "bulls**t, what we needed the most is a 4th opensource libc implementation for the linux kernel, yeahh". So you could guess my knowledge of the actual plateform...

For the rest we basically agree, I was thinking about using our current kernel as writing kernel drivers is not the easiest task on earth.

16. xopher

xopher Member

When I first read this it was 2 pages deep. It seemed like an intelligent pondering. Now I am wondering if Craig has trolled you all while on break from the assembly line. :unsure: Then again I haven't read much of the other 14 pages of postings, probably just my ignorance appearing in public. Good thing I wear pants.

17. fahrstuhl

fahrstuhl Member

Android Blog regarding app-removal.
    Over-The-Air; centralized; protection!; removal of 'malicious' software... This is just pure evil, even more pure than this interesting ED-pic that's floating around here somewhere.

I... Well... And...

Please don't.

18. SNESFAN

SNESFAN Retro game fanatic

I would run android as the main OS if it was offered, it already has all the software I could ever want for a handheld. The one thing my android phones are missing are gaming controls and a keyboard.

I would literally be beside myself in happiness if the latest version of android (AOSP 2.2 froyo) and the market were gotten to run on the pandora.

if there's a dev fund directly related to this project, point me in that direction

19. emcp

emcp Member

16 pages
    and since page 5

NO

20. DynaMight

DynaMight Member

If anyone wants to play with Android, go ahead: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/emulator.html You wont get the Market/Google Maps etc though, but you can install apps by their APK's

Best way to proceed is to find out if there are drivers already available for Pandoras hardware. The Motorola Milestone used the OMAP3530 A8 Cortex and full specs can be found here: http://and-developers.com/motorola_milestone:device_information