Pandora Should Move To Android

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Consider:

The Pandora should move to Android to get real commercial software and games - plus it's only a matter of time before someone else releases an Android games console (which works well), Pandora should be first.

Discuss...

No way I'm going to write my software in Java. A complete move to Android would be reason enough for me to cancel my order. A port of Android couldn't hurt though for those who'd like to selling their soul to Google for software.

Obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not interested, *personally* - had I wanted Android and what Android offers, I would have bought an Android device to begin with.

Offering it as an option likely isn't a bad idea, but I have to admit that it loses a lot of its appeal to me if it's the only option, or the default one.

EDIT: I thought the Android Marketplace (is that the name? I forget) was only available if your device satisfied a set of conditions laid out by Google?

Really an excellent idea. I genuinely think this is the way to go, at least so you guys won't have to keep worrying about the software side of things.

The Pandora doesn't need to MOVE to Android because it's capability to run different GUIs etc. is one of it's strong points.

But should a lot of time (and potentially money) be spent to get Andriod working well on Pandora? Absolutely.

Just be careful that doing this doesn't highlight the Pandora's limitations (it's not a phone, it doesn't have tilt sensors, it doesn't have a built in GPS).

Very exciting to hear you saying this though Craig...

IMHO The ideal would be able to run android apps in Pandora's linux. By porting the virtual machine and wrapping the environment.
A possible start point? (& 2)

EDIT: I forgot to say that I only want my Pandora with linux. The android OS option would be ok only if it remains as an option.

If it will help you make more money, I suppose it's for the best.
But I'll have to install something reasonable in its place. Android doesn't even have Qt at the moment, does it?

Edit: Sig related

Just give us complete kernel support and let everybody choose their favorite distro. I'm personally not interested neither in Angstrom nor in Android.

Vitel said:
Just give us complete kernel support and let everybody choose their favorite distro. I'm personally not interested neither in Angstrom nor in Android.

This. And a downloadable package with system scripts. (pnd_support, overclock, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not such a bad idea, but what if... you could install windows xp and run games like gta: san andreas? That would be better for me than android.

My lame attempt at sarcasm.-----^

Nope. Pandora is quite far from an android device, IMHO - Not a phone, no tilt, no gps, and so on. As mentioned above. Offering Android as an alternative OS - Good thing. Would also be something that might be happening somewhat by itself once enough machines are out in the wild - Someone will start porting, somewhere, and it will be possible to just support that or those persons in order to get a good Android dist together that would then be able to run from SD or whatever. But diverting your own manpower to this at this time - No.

Com64 said:
Its not such a bad idea, but what if... you could install windows xp and run games like gta: san andreas? That would be better for me than android.
Just to quickly prevent this from going off-topic before it starts: This is not possible, as the Pandora is an ARM-based device, not x86.

Prometheus said:
Com64 said:
Just to quickly prevent this from going off-topic before it starts: This is not possible, as the Pandora is an ARM-based device, not x86.

sorry, it was a bad attempt at sarcasm... anyway, I dont think adroid offers enough good to be worth running on the pandora.

hrm... I wonder if windows mobile would work an an arm-based device...
edit: ah yes, Windows mobile (aka windows phone) is based on windows ce, which is compatible with ARM processors.

1) Offer the Pandora in Android flavours
2) Support android apps in the current distro
3) Profit

Don't drop PND please.

Prometheus said:
Com64 said:

No... tongue? My mind is blown.

I LOVE android. I really want to see Android running on my Pandora as a second OS, but I could not see the Pandora working if it was the main one.

We'd lose the appeal of having aproper UI, along with our own choise of proper browsers, etc.

Dual boot option maybe. Android is pretty, but sluggish on a 600mhz device in my experience. It would bring a lot to the table for people who are so inclined (I'd use it on the side too, probably) but we need a real OS.

Having Android as an "option" that gets you the "commercial only" software, sounds reasonable, if it happens.

(But surely you want to get what you have working smooth, then to change direction so soon. Unless you have the resources to do both?)

It (Android), could attract a bigger following for the Pandora, hence a bigger (marketable target) audience, which could only be better for OPT sales volumes in the future (should you be able to meet demand!).

Asteroid said:
Having Android as an "option" that gets you the "commercial only" software, sounds reasonable, if it happens.

(But surely you want to get what you have working smooth, then to change direction so soon. Unless you have the resources to do both?)

It (Android), could attract a bigger following for the Pandora, hence a bigger (marketable target) audience, which could only be better for OPT sales volumes in the future (should you be able to meet demand!).

I don't think that OPT could ever be capable of meeting such demands, unless a bigger company helped them out, or they um... get more people to um... help keep up woth demands?

Gruso said:
Dual boot option maybe. Android is pretty, but sluggish on a 600mhz device in my experience. It would bring a lot to the table for people who are so inclined (I'd use it on the side too, probably) but we need a real OS.

The extend system that Stuckie is building have the power to bring android apps without even leaving our beloved OS. Why changing this ?
Maemo can be build too.

Pandora
+
PND
+
Debian extend
+
Android
+
Meamo

All run by the same kernel at once... :)

Back