Pandora Should Move To Android

Why the heck is this in LOL! when there's still a valid discussion going on here? :eek:

Well, Angström has a reason: It's small and build to be run on mobile devices.
Ubuntu is nice and getting better for small devices, too, but at the moment it's just slow.

The PND system is no problem there - it can easily be compiled to be usable on other systems as well, so Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, etc. can all run PND files if properly included.

Ubuntu makes sense if you have a bigger SD Card lying around and want to install it there.

Android makes no sense: Not that many games yet, even with the official appstore (or not-so-interesting games).
I wouldn't use it.

Don't you see that users and devs get doubtful? Something what really interests me, do you OPT guys talk about it before someone posts something like this? I feel the urge to post a major majoric über mega rant, but trying my best to suppress it. I don't find the right words, because this is so obviously miles off from reality. You guys manage to step into _every_ freaking cowpat and instead of just walking along you jump up and down in that shit.
Funny dudes.

kingofpopcorn.gif

I think this is okay to talk about. craig says he was just getting feedback on an idea, which seems valid, even w/o consulting the other OP members.. but that's kinda giving him the benefit of the doubt given the thread title and original post..

Surely it is not a mod's job to direct the discussion though. Android or not is a serious question, even if only - no, because...
Some people want it, because it sounds easy to them, everyone else says it is not a good fit.

This thread just makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. It's like going into a congress building and being greeted by kindergarten children dabbling about who knows what.

Yes, getting Android on the Pandora would probably be an awful idea, but I currently see stuff like
"No, you can't develop stuff on it" and
"No, it's too slow" and
"No, it's a phone OS" and
"No, it's not in the 'spirit' of OP" and
"No, it's being controlled by a mega corporation".

4 of those arguments are simply false (well it IS a phone OS, but Linux is also a phone OS and yet it's being used on super computers as well) and one is subjective. So can we please *move on* and either try to clarify what we *really* want to say, or come up with *new arguments*?

SomeGuy99 said:
I lolled, while agreeing. what a strange experience :)

tsh said:
Surely it is not a mod's job to direct the discussion though. Android or not is a serious question, even if only - no, because...
Some people want it, because it sounds easy to them, everyone else says it is not a good fit.
Do anyone want to see mali quitting his role as moderator ?????
The topic was DEAD and even frightfull for many.
It needed to rest. and the loll files was a great tomb for that specific topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'll just lay back and laugh my ass off. Moving this to lol files was at least a chance to prevent further damage. Have a fruitful discussion and good night.

sebt3 said:
tsh said:
No, I'm not saying Mali is doing a bad job, just that hiding a topic just because it scares people will not make the question go away. The topic is not dead, surely there will be new non-phone android machines which have serious overlap with the Pandora in some spaces.
It is good to discuss how we can run android apps, if there are any which are useful.
It is good to know how easy it will be to port Android.
It is good to know how complete that port will be.

Anyone who has issues with android as an OS needs to accept that it is here, and is fairly successful...

Yeah someguy, this is really helpful. You are a really helpful person. My problem is obviously that I'm here too long already. This has become a part of my life and I actually _do_ care and don't delight in lame trolling like you practise. Enjoy it.

mali said:
Yeah someguy, this is really helpful. You are a really helpful person. My problem is obviously that I'm here too long already. This has become a part of my life and I actually _do_ care and don't delight in lame trolling like you practise. Enjoy it.

I didn't mean to upset you okay. As I said already, you're one of my favourite people on here.

If my humour genuinely upsets people, I will stop. I never meant to cause any harm.

tsh said:
sebt3 said:
tsh said:
No, I'm not saying Mali is doing a bad job, just that hiding a topic just because it scares people will not make the question go away. The topic is not dead, surely there will be new non-phone android machines which have serious overlap with the Pandora in some spaces.
It is good to discuss how we can run android apps, if there are any which are useful.
It is good to know how easy it will be to port Android.
It is good to know how complete that port will be.

Anyone who has issues with android as an OS needs to accept that it is here, and is fairly successful...

I'll bite.
Yes, it is fine to discuss those things. It would be good, perhaps even awesome to make sure that the Pandora can run android apps, but what most of here are objecting to is replacement of the default OS, which is the meaning that craig very clearly wrote. There are good technical reasons to be fearful of that: for one thing it's another layer, so performance can only suffer (and being a java VM, perhaps by a significant amount) and it will take resources away from running programs (ram, CPU) and from potential flexibility (space for libraries in the NAND)

And if it would prevent using regular X programs than that would be Much worse. I want my Pandora to run linux apps that I run on my desktop. Note that the first page or two points to a solution for running Android apps from a regular desktop distro, this sounds like a functional and inevitable solution to me.

The best option, that wouldn't cause a war in this forum:

Android as the Officially Suported OS. With minimum support from the devs/community.
But hell. Angstron forever as the OFFICIAL Standard OS.

(I would like to see Gentoo, Ubuntu and Debian in it, though... And I DO LIKE Android)

Remember : If someone doesn't think OpenPandora should drop what they're doing and change operating systems it's because they "have an issue with Android".

That is the only possible reason to not want this sudden, unexpected change. If someone tries to use logic or rational thought, do not be fooled! They are simply trying to hide the fact that they are hateful and prejudiced against Android for completely crazy reasons. (Probably they were dropped on their head as a child.)

Scared that Angstrom will disappear as a supported OS? for real? now that is funny...
I have a clone of the GIT if OPL loose it...

tsh said:
Scared that Angstrom will disappear as a supported OS? for real? now that is funny...
I have a clone of the GIT if OPL loose it...
We are not worried that Craig will come to our house and install Android and then delete all the world's copies of Angstrom. You honestly think that's what we're worried about? Really? Perhaps instead of assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a complete idiot you could try to understand the debate up to this point.

You know ... like a grown up.

I know it's hard, but just try your best.

Thanks.

Back