Pandora Keyboard Layout (legends)

And here's the special gold version:

Pandora5.jpg

Hi, I have a question for spanish people. How could we write "ñ" and written accents?. I think that we could use mapped buttons but... Would it be possible a specific version for Spain?

I think you are doing a fantastic job. :)

I understant difficulty of makeing special national kbds. Much more useful will be universal english and special key mapping application. Many chracters can be written by special "prefix" mark, ie (czech) á é ě í č... be done by shift + long or hook key and after this simple character key (a e e i c in this example) or shift + key for uppercase. But there are languages, that cannot be written in this way, such as russian, bulgarian, arabian or other fareast langs.

So I expect that first Pandora run (I mean first 3000 series) will be only in some US and EU version (and Germany may be).

Can anybody called confirm this?

WarmFluffyUK: You ommit some hairy woman as a logo :) Look at Czech list server Pandora.

If the Devs are clever, they add an option into the Firmware, where we can choose between the Language for the Keyboard.
So we can use special Letters with "Alt Gr" maybe or an FN key or something. For example in German, the "A" Key also is for "Ä", other Languages have their own letters there. Its the best way I think.

MWeston said:
I had an idea for the CTRL and ALT buttons. I feel reluctant to reduce the size of ALL the keypad buttons or to extend them into the space left open for thumbs on the side so how about this:

CTRL - mapped to the X button when console used (could be FN + X elsewhere)
ALT - mapped to the B button when console used (could be FN + B elsewhere)

This would make getting CTRL-C very easy and also allows CTRL + (key1) + (key2) possible since the two key limit does not apply to game buttons. What do you think?

How often would these keys really be used?
Huh? There is an 2-Key-Limit? :lol: The same thing like at PC's when you push to many buttons (I play alot MAME 6-Button Games with my Keyboard :D ) and the speaker beeps? I thought this was a issue of the last Century... ^^
How can I press "CTRL+ALT+DEL" at the Pandora with a 2-key limit? ;)

@WarmFluffyUK: Nice Renderings but some of the surfaces seems to be a little bit to Finger-Print-sensitive. Here, I 've tried some non-glare- Wood/Burl materials at my own "Art Deco" Pandora Design:

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Here, I 've tried some non-glare- Wood/Burl materials at my own "Art Deco" Pandora Design
One word; Awesome!

fusion_power said:
Here, I 've tried some non-glare- Wood/Burl materials at my own "Art Deco" Pandora Design
Brilliant, I just love the wood effect. What did you create the models with?

awesome renders, Warmfluffy, great work :)

and yes, assigning ALT etc. To the action buttons will do just fine :)

MWeston said:
I had an idea for the CTRL and ALT buttons. I feel reluctant to reduce the size of ALL the keypad buttons or to extend them into the space left open for thumbs on the side so how about this:

This would make getting CTRL-C very easy and also allows CTRL + (key1) + (key2) possible since the two key limit does not apply to game buttons. What do you think?

CTRL/ALT are both essentials for console use, but also elsewhere. Personally, I expect to use them in the odd game and when using Pandora for more laptop-ey tasks like word processing, browsing, etc, so I'd estimate I'd use them a fair bit - copy, paste, save, load being the obvious frequent uses, but I'm sure there are others.

For such tasks, putting them on the action buttons would be fine, espcially since the keyboard already has an Enter key.

However, if I were buying this and I didn't know they were on the action buttons, I'd be concerned. If that's the direction you're going in you really should make sure that those buttons are clearly marked as behaving in that way on the hardware, not just explained in the manual (which of course at least some of the people who would need the buttons probably won't read from cover to cover) or when opening the terminal, lest you scare off potential customers.

Or what about assigning them to FnStart/FnSelect? Are Start/Select counted as game buttons or keyboard buttons? Don't know, but combinations might be easier that way...

Nice renders.. Discussing the keyboard made me wonder.. will it be possible to map the right mouse button to a key (for touchscreen) so when that particularly key is hold pressing on the touchscreen will be recognized as right mouse button?

i just noticed something, and sorry if its come up before, but will the 'fn' key, being a macro and all, cause issues with key bindings in game from accidental palming?

i would love to see quake 4 on this thing, but right now i would be absolutely thrilled if it had tremulous!

MWeston said:

Quite often, for me, seeing that I expect to be able to run at least some Emacs on the Pandora :)

But that sounds like quite a good solution to me. Apart from that I don't quite know what you mean by "console" there - I'd want to be able to reach CTRL and ALT even when in an application that is not the one and only magic console window - For instance in an Emacs, or in some word processor or calendar or something like that.

But all that would be software anyway, right? I mean, as in it'd be somehow up to the developer whether to use the game-controls or the keyboard-controls input model.

I'd chip in with the other furriners and beg for a standardised way of accessing national characters, too. Not that I think there should be specific keyboard mats for every country, but just some sort of similar mapping as for CTRL and ALT, I.e. "left trigger is a mode-shift for special national characters, so that left-trigger+a gives an input of å *if* you have the swedish alt-keymap loaded".

Hm. That sounded complicated. I'll try again:

I propose that the user be able to define the national charset used - swedish in my case. The keyboard stays the way it is for everything that is on the keys. However, pressing left trigger makes the keyboard send national characters instead. So that i could get åäö by pressing left-trig+jkl (or something like that). This then being dependent on mapping - i.e. a French national charset would possibly give éèê for that same key sequence.

WarmFluffyUK said:
fusion_power said:
Brilliant, I just love the wood effect. What did you create the models with?

Thanx. ^^
I'm using Blender...and I must say, I hate Blender to :lol: Very crappy user Interface, it was a nightmare to create anything useful with that.
Here, a new Pic of the closed Pandora:

For the real Pandora I hope, there is a visible difference between a closed Pandora and a closed NDS. ^^""

Fantastic artwork, really special. Based on the colours rendered, I think black or silver is nice!

I hope the screen lays flat and doesn't open only to an angle as indicated; you can imagine, if you are trying to play a game with the D-pad, the screen will be tilted forwards, which is far from ideal. If the screen can be moved so it is completely flat to the control area then there is no issue.

Javacat said:
Nice renderings fluffy! Your favourite one isn't very girly though :ph34r:
It doesn't get more girly than Doom 3 :p

WarmFluffyUK said:
I think this is my favourite colour scheme so far:
Pandora6.jpg
Nice renders, but I believe the analogue nubs are black. :)

Very nice renders, makes the design look much better than the official ones do. It actually looks like a handheld now unlike those in the crap renders (by comparison) in the originals. I think craig and co. should be using yours instead.

Javacat said:
Nice renderings fluffy! Your favourite one isn't very girly though :ph34r:
Well it's not the colour I like the most, it's the render, I have played about with the textures and lighting a bit and simply love the resulting image!

As far as colours go, I love the red one :)

Back