Pandora at Replay 2011 - Retro Gaming Expo - Let's meet up

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Open Pandora Ltd at Replay 2011

Replay is a gaming EXPO with a healthy interest in all things retro. The event will be held in Blackpool (UK) on 5th/6th November 2011.

See the Replay website for more details.

In this thread it was suggested to Craig that there should be an official presence from OP Ltd and also that it would present a good opportunity to arrange a meet up of Pandora users. After a truly tantalising write up of Replay 2010 from Sugar_Kane, Craig seems to be keen on the idea of getting involved.

Craigix said:
I will probably bring the iCP maybe?

Craigix said:
Sounds like my kid of bop, see you there!

This thread has been started in an attempt to pin down what sort of involvement OP Ltd will have at Replay 2011, whether fellow forumites would be interested in coming along and if there is any interest in the idea of a meet up for Pandora users.

@ Craig :

It would be really great if you could let us know :

1) What capacity will Open Pandora Ltd be attending in? i.e. Do you plan to have an official store selling ICPs? What are your thoughts about giving a talk / presentation relating to the Pandora and the 'joys' of bringing a hand held retro gaming PC to market?

Answer :

Craigix said:
I can only attend for iControlPad Ltd, and if we can we will be happy to sell iCPs at the event and also demo them.

If Ed wants to come too then we can involve the Pandora as well.

2) If you do decide to have an official store, would you like any Pandora / ICP owners to help with product demonstrations? I'm sure many, myself included, would be more than willing to spend an hour or three showing off their truly wonderful devices to the masses.

3) What are your thoughts on combining this event with a meet up for Pandora users? To me this seems like a no brainer, It's long over due, it might even be enjoyable and would be good for community relations, think of the fun you could have fighting off hoards of Pandora owners armed with pitchforks and flaming torches as you unveil the official appstore / donations scheme ;)

@ ED :

We all know you need a holiday, take it from me a visit to Blackpool in November is a truly unique holiday experience, if we do decide to have a meet up for Pandora users then it wouldn't be the same without you. Might be a good opportunity to meet some of your investors face to face too.

Answer :

EvilDragon said:
I've been to Blackpool already... that was 17 years ago :D

Sounds like a good idea to me. By then, everything Pandora-related should be setup and in production, it will be shortly before the "official" release (not just for some preorders, but shortly before it should be available from stock!) and therefore, the more interest the better.

Of course, meeting some of you guys is also part of the fun :)

@ Everyone else :

If you like the idea of this and would like to come along then don’t be shy, please post in this thread. I’m sure any suggestions / offers of help would be welcome as well.

From a personal perspective, I attended Replay last year and found it highly enjoyable. The venue is a little ‘tired’ (to put it mildly), the focus was by no means purely retro and the bar was not the greatest ever. But they did have 30 or so original arcade cabs, and maybe 15 pinball tables all on free play. As well as ST, Amiga, Snes, Megadrive etc. The fellow attendees were friendly and the general atmosphere was great. My strong suspicion is that more or less anyone from these forums would be in serious danger of having a good time if they came along.

Right, better go and buy my ticket.

Who's coming to Replay 2011?

If you post that you've bought a ticket then you'll be added to the list.

Craigix

d4damage

Evil Dragon

FZERO

Ian J

may88

milkshake

miner49er

Mr_Loon

Nick May

pmprog

Poke Paradox

Retro Sprites

sbt

A thought or two on the Pandora meet up.

It would make sense to me to have this at a venue away from Replay, perhaps at a traditional English pub, this would allow people to attend who didn't want to / couldn't afford to attend Replay.

I sincerely hope that there will be official interest in the idea of a meet up from the OP team but if there isn't then let's do it anyway. I'd be more than happy to spend an evening getting to know some of my fellow Pandora users.

I'll update this post with relevant information as and when it becomes available.

Pandora meet up logisitics.

Meet up after Replay on the Saturday night at the Ramsden Arms at 8.30PM

Address / contact details for the Ramsden Arms Hotel :

204 Talbot Road

Blackpool

Lancs

FY1 3AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
should have a line of pandoras lines up in booth, all emulating one console thats shown off at the whole expo

In all seriousness I'd be happy to get involved in some capacity. We could have a test pandora and icp set up (bolted down in some fashion naturally), give people the chance to buy an icp (keep a small stock under the table, if those run out perhaps have a laptop set up on the icp page so that they can order online at the event). Collect details of anyone wanting to register for the next batch of pandoras, or for contributions.

Id be interested in going to this but if im in employment by then will have to see about time off work.

I can only attend for iControlPad Ltd, and if we can we will be happy to sell iCPs at the event and also demo them.

If Ed wants to come too then we can involve the Pandora as well.

I've been to Blackpool already... that was 17 years ago :D

Sounds like a good idea to me. By then, everything Pandora-related should be setup and in production, it will be shortly before the "official" release (not just for some preorders, but shortly before it should be available from stock!) and therefore, the more interest the better.

Of course, meeting some of you guys is also part of the fun :)

@ Craig : Thanks for the update, have added your response to question 1 to the first post.

@ED : Great to hear that you're tempted, have added your response to the first post.

Request to any passing mods : Any chance of a sticky for this thread? My suspicion is it might become quite a popular topic. :)

Replay 2011 seems like it could be interesting. Looks like it has two major flaws though.

1) It's being held at Norbreck Castle Hotel which is a dated, pebbledashed novelty shithole of a 'hotel'.

2) It's in Blackpool which quite frankly is the stag and hen capital of the North, complete with puking drunks, violent door staff and fights in the kebab shop at 2am, so expect to be on some reality TV show if you go for a drink in town.

(Oh, and the Norbreck Castle Hotel is actually nowhere near Blackpool town center, it's about 4 miles away in a place called Bispham.)

However, I did grow up there and managed to escape without being glassed in a pub. Unhappily, my parents still live there so I have to return very occasionally.

So, if I actually have my Pandora by the start of November and if ED and Craig are going to be there I might be tempted to drag my arse to the other end of the country to meet some fellow Pandorians.

Hey, your definition of hauling it to the other side of the country is not the same as mine.

Replay 2011 seems like it could be interesting. Looks like it has two major flaws though.

1) It's being held at Norbreck Castle Hotel which is a dated, pebbledashed novelty shithole of a 'hotel'.

2) It's in Blackpool which quite frankly is the stag and hen capital of the North, complete with puking drunks, violent door staff and fights in the kebab shop at 2am, so expect to be on some reality TV show if you go for a drink in town.

(Oh, and the Norbreck Castle Hotel is actually nowhere near Blackpool town center, it's about 4 miles away in a place called Bispham.)

However, I did grow up there and managed to escape without being glassed in a pub. Unhappily, my parents still live there so I have to return very occasionally.

So, if I actually have my Pandora by the start of November and if ED and Craig are going to be there I might be tempted to drag my arse to the other end of the country to meet some fellow Pandorians.

Almost every show like this I've been to has been in a similar shit hole, why do the organisers hire these places? It can't just be price related, I know many locations which are both cheap and beautiful in the north east.

I looked at the internal photos, you're right, it looks like a bloody 1980's bingo hall.

Still, see you there.

http://www.norbreck-castle-hotel.com/

I don't know, looks quite exotic to me.

6oHPu.jpg

I concede. Just get me a ticket and I'll dance around semi-naked with my Pandora. That'll turn some heads, at least.

Back