Ithic.com Visits Portland in September for Retro Gaming Expo

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
It's time to take the show on the road.

http://retrogamingexpo.com/

Reserving a table to show off the Pandora and Pandora1GHz (hoping they'll be in full swing by then).

Anyone who's going to be visiting, it would be cool to meet up with other community members.

I'm just bumping this to see if there's any interest in the NorthWestern US for the Open Pandora and people who read these boards. I'm not 100% sure on attending, but should know something within the next two weeks.

I would go if I wasn't in the complete opposite corner of the U.S. o-o

I think it would be great to see some pandoras there, or a table reserved to show them off. I actually met mygames19 there last year and got to hold and use the pandora for the first time. Still don't have mine to bring though, April 2009 pre-order and cant afford a premium upgrade. But someday I'll bring mine to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

^ Like wise, Now if there is an East coast Retro gaming convention...

Glad to see some positive responses to this thread this time through!

I'm not sure if I'll be heading to Portland either. I'll either be in Maine or Northern California at the end of the month. Vermont's been nice but my girlfriend is outta work in 8 days. I've got a job prospect in Maine, but am playing the waiting game at the moment. So if we wind up in NorCal, then I'll be hitting the Expo in Portland. If I get the job in Maine, then I'll likely have to pass up the event.

I miss NorCal, a lot.

Like last year and the year before it, me and my group of friends are planning to attend the Expo this year. I'm actually glad you are going to be there - Even though I love the device, a lot of people started questioning my purchasing decision, and I'm rather quiet mouthed and sometimes don't know how to properly respond without thinking about it first. Hopfully having you there will give the project more exposure and maybe help people better understand the appeal of the device.

P.S. I'd figure since this is your thread it'd be easier to ask this here: Do you have any replacement battery covers? Mine's had a tab and pulltab broken off and it's made it extremely worrying to carry mine around anymore.

Thanks!

It's time to take the show on the road.

http://retrogamingexpo.com/

Reserving a table to show off the Pandora and Pandora1GHz (hoping they'll be in full swing by then).

Anyone who's going to be visiting, it would be cool to meet up with other community members.
I may go I live fairly close this would definitely be one more reason for me to go

Like last year and the year before it, me and my group of friends are planning to attend the Expo this year. I'm actually glad you are going to be there - Even though I love the device, a lot of people started questioning my purchasing decision, and I'm rather quiet mouthed and sometimes don't know how to properly respond without thinking about it first. Hopfully having you there will give the project more exposure and maybe help people better understand the appeal of the device.

P.S. I'd figure since this is your thread it'd be easier to ask this here: Do you have any replacement battery covers? Mine's had a tab and pulltab broken off and it's made it extremely worrying to carry mine around anymore.

Thanks!

^

PM me your address, I'm assuming you need a black battery cover, not the newer platinum case color.

As per your justifying the Pandora to friends etc., its not a device for everyone. I've had people tell me this is something they've wanted for a long time but didn't know it was available in this type of form factor. People either get it or they don't and in a world full of tablets and smart phones with more power, those who understand it seem to be the retro gamer who knows what good control feels like. I'm biased of course. But I just see the Pandora as something capable of playing thousands of games, and sure there are things like the Dingooo, GP2X, and these PSP knockoffs (or a hacked PSP itself) for a fraction of the price, however the Pandora just plays things really well. I think there is something to be said that this device is made in a place with good working conditions and standards of treatment for the employee, and some people will never understand that and could care less.

I'll end with the community, because without it, this wouldn't have ever come about, the software, OS, even the hardware with things like audio capabilities and Dave C case/DPad design. I just wonder if there is anything remotely like the Pandora and this community involvement (as well as developer access)?

I'm not 100% set on Portland yet, but hope to know more soon.

where at in norcal?

Humboldt County

Can I just say how awesome this guy is? He sent me a Battery cover in the mail. For Free.

Now you need to be at PRGE, just so I can shake your hand. :)

As per your justifying the Pandora to friends etc., its not a device for everyone. I've had people tell me this is something they've wanted for a long time but didn't know it was available in this type of form factor. People either get it or they don't and in a world full of tablets and smart phones with more power, those who understand it seem to be the retro gamer who knows what good control feels like. I'm biased of course. But I just see the Pandora as something capable of playing thousands of games, and sure there are things like the Dingooo, GP2X, and these PSP knockoffs (or a hacked PSP itself) for a fraction of the price, however the Pandora just plays things really well. I think there is something to be said that this device is made in a place with good working conditions and standards of treatment for the employee, and some people will never understand that and could care less.

I'll end with the community, because without it, this wouldn't have ever come about, the software, OS, even the hardware with things like audio capabilities and Dave C case/DPad design. I just wonder if there is anything remotely like the Pandora and this community involvement (as well as developer access)?

My friends are anywhere between understanding and not caring... I was talking about those who saw me playing on the Pandora at last year's show. I got a lot of curious eyes, but I had a few people ask me what it was. Some where receptive.... and some, not so much. I even had one guy rudely make a comment about my supposed 'poor' decision making.... but I digress.

I'm not 100% set on Portland yet, but hope to know more soon.

In all seriousness, don't feel obliged to come. I'd love to visit with others in person who actually understand the idea of the Pandora and are into the community, but the reality is we already do that here online. I mostly just wanna shake hands of others and get to know them a little, because sometimes it feels a little lonely.

Thanks again, bud. :)

No worries, tomorrow I'll be sending the guy who runs the event payment for a table, just getting a single table as I'll probably be the only person working the event. Looks like I'll be spending a few months on the West Coast. Not sure if it will be something more permanent, time will tell. Regardless, it looks like I will be in Portland for this Retro Gaming Expo. Pretty stoked to have some direction. Now I just need to figure out how to get my Pandora shop from point A to point B.

Good times :)

Now I just need to figure out how to get my Pandora shop from point A to point B.

house_moving_malaysia.jpg

No worries, tomorrow I'll be sending the guy who runs the event payment for a table, just getting a single table as I'll probably be the only person working the event. Looks like I'll be spending a few months on the West Coast. Not sure if it will be something more permanent, time will tell. Regardless, it looks like I will be in Portland for this Retro Gaming Expo. Pretty stoked to have some direction. Now I just need to figure out how to get my Pandora shop from point A to point B.

Good times :)

Although I was looking forward to enjoying the event myself, I would be willing to man the table if you want a break for a little while. :)

i was at the Seattle Retro Game Expo this year and last. unfortunately, there's still not much to do there beyond the vendor room.

Ya, I was at it last year too... and I agree. There wasn't much there, to be honest. They still looked like they where getting their feet off the ground. The Vendor Room was small and crowded, and the gaming room was also small.

This year's Portland expo will be at the Oregon Convention Center.... Which is just huge. I'm more into the vendors personally, but I'm sure I'll end up enjoying the 20,000 Sq. Feet of arcade and the Freeplay consoles too. Oh, and some internet webshow guys are going to be in town too. So ya, what we've got going is going to be a lot better then what I remember SRGE to be like...

Last edited by a moderator:
It was also REALLY hot last year at PRGE, moving to the convention center should give the space and airflow required for all those people, and all those machines :p

Back