Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

lollipoppizza

Still Fresh
The Google Nexus 7 has just been revealed and frankly the 1GHz Pandoras stack up quite well compared to the tablet.

http://www.engadget....ted-before-i-o/

1thumb15-1340814575.png

However the price difference is huge: $199 for 8Gb with 1Gb of RAM, Tegra processor etc.

Yes, I know that Open Pandora can't be compared to a huge multinational corporation and yes, I know the Pandora was released 4 years ago with a different aim and public but I think it could be a 'challenge' for the Pandora 2! :)

So what should the Pandora 2 cost?

And specifications?

Any opinions are welcome!

The price and spec of that tablet is so cheap it might be cheaper to buy them in bulk and cannibalise it for any Pandora2 than to actually buy the parts ourselves.

The price and spec of that tablet is so cheap it might be cheaper to buy them in bulk and cannibalise it for any Pandora2 than to actually buy the parts ourselves.

Could be true if the PCB were small enough to be used straight and could accommodate your peripherals. Sadly that's probably not the case. I really doubt you'll very successfully pop the BGA parts off of the PCB and reuse them, and if you could it'd be really expensive.

Well, I see you point but the Pandora dev team shouldn't think about other products like this one: Pandora 2 should always be a niche product just like Pandora. That's why the Pandora 2 could cost even 500-600 €: it shouldn't be a mobile phone, or a netbook. It should be Pandora 2 :)

Well we now know it will have to be about $699, it cannot realistically be done for much less than that, unless we want a whole mess again.

Yes, good idea, maybe we need to make sure everyone knows that now :)

Sometime in 2013, prepare to spend $699!
For that price it will have to have all the bells and whisles, lastest tech and design or I'll have to think twice. IDK but, I always have money for the gadgets that I want.

If it happens it will be the best.
Well Craigix, I can't argue with you. If you say so then I believe you. The OpenPandora is a great device. I can't wait to see how much better it gets. Keep up the good work.

If I started my own tread about this question, it would basically be the same as this one. So, I'm just re-posting it here. Have at it.

If the OP2 was being made today, with all the lastest specs, what would those be?

Maybe the question should be 'for the absolute best it could be, what would you be willing to pay'.

Because for $500 you won't be getting the best tech, and we want to use the best tech possible.

It's not simply about putting "the best" in Pandora 2, it's more about making sure you have the right power for what you design the machine for.

If the Pandora 2 is just going to be a good Android device, I won't give a crap about it. If it can do things than other machines can never hope to do, I'll be more interested (almost) regardless of price.

It has to be significantly better than anything else in surrounding categories: it does not have to be the best in hardware for that, it could be simply best hardware/software optimisation, best integration, best form factor, etc. That's the only way you can survive with a small company on a niche market, but going where big companies will NOT venture.

I'm going to assume/hope the Pandora 2 is a device much like the current OP with some more R&D time... that's all I need really

also, yyyeah, people still think it's 1995 and don't understand inflation. It's the future, things cost more because you make more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would pay that much only if the pandora 2 woluld capable of replacing a full desktop PC. That means dvi/hdmi output, a power over or comparable my old athlon x2, and a full desktop linux. The USB ports can be solved with a hub.

With this and still mataining the 10 hours battery life, and improving some things like build quality, nubs, etc It may be worth.

Of course the software will a have the last word, it must prove to do things the actual pandora can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back