Samsung Galaxy Note 8

I have not experienced any lag at all on my note 2. Everything is buttery smooth and apps open instantly. Easily the best mobile experience I've ever had... on any device.

Not sure what you were doing to get a laggy experience.

Drawing.

The lag is when you draw, if you go around sketching as you would on a paper/wacom tablet/cintiq/caanoo, it takes quite a while for the phone to catch up.

It is like it is always a second behind.

Operationally, everything else goes fine.

I´m gonna buy one this week anyway.

Also, the caanoo plots a point/dot exactly where you touch it.

It seems this is the only touch device(note 2) I saw that can do almost similar.

Ipads are horrible this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
@erico: Do you remember which software you were using to draw?

I know that at the moment some of the drawing apps indeed are a bit laggy. I expect this situation to improve with future updates.

I would love to get a mini review of the sketching performance of these following apps: (by a Note 2 owner)

TV Paint

LayerPaint

Sketchbook Mobile

Papyrus Beta (Vector drawing... also, would like to know if the vectors can be edited in another program?)

Drawing Pad

Markers

Infinite Painter

(any other apps you know of?)

I tried the one that came with it, can´t remember the name.

Don´t wanna be a show down, but I don´t see it getting any closer to instant.(ubuntu maybe?)

The laggy way it goes is ok though, and precision is ok too.

If you are into pixel art, there should be no problem at all.

For sketching and ilustration, it may be just get used to it.

I read somewhere it is about the tech, but I can´t confirm it.

Another thing, for the more artist ones, is the fact that skeatching on such screen may imply you touch parts of your hand on it and so cause wrong things to happen.

I guess it is all about getting used to it, I sure will.

I´m excited about samsung+wacom though...maybe in a few phone/table generations they get it going fine :)

Found another alternative if you don't mind fans and some heat, the Samsung Series 7 Slate XE700T1A and similar, sold for about 460€ - http://www.office-partner.de/markenshops/samsung/notebooks/126886/samsung-slate-pc-serie-7-700t1a-s03de-29-46cm-anthrazit?campaign=psm/idealo/Markenshops/Samsung/Notebooks

Runs on a Celeron which has about triple the benchmark rating compared to that new Atom. Battery life is from two up to around six hours IIRC, that's Battery Eater test vs. low brightness/no wifi, light usage. But again fans and some heat. Hmm...

Edit: Those battery values could be based on the ULV i5 model, I expect the Celeron to run longer, does anybody know? EDIT 3: Kay, they both have 17W TDP, so the i5 will run longer because it will get the same work done it a shorter time.

More edit: I just noticed you have made your decision Fae. I hope you don't mind me adding one or the other machine here since we've gone into detail on the subject and this seems like kind of a resource now. At least for me, still haven't decided, meh.

TV Paint
LayerPaint
Sketchbook Mobile
Papyrus Beta (Vector drawing... also, would like to know if the vectors can be edited in another program?)
Drawing Pad
Markers
Infinite Painter

(any other apps you know of?)
I didnt buy any of the ones you mentioned that are paid, I did try sketchbook express and it is a pretty laggy experience. As in the output isn't instant. I don't know how fat that program is but that's the first program I've seen that gave this phone a slowdown.

I use papyrus already on a daily basis for note taking. I only notice a slight lag when trying to get it to lag. (Swiping very quickly from top to bottom or round in circles) normal stuff like handwriting or notes or signing my name its a fluid and virtually instant experience and does the pressure registers correctly throughout the motions. You set the starting thickness of the utensil if that makes sense. I'm not a art person... Obviously.

While both programs aren't 100% instant from input yo output, the actual strokes you make with the spen all register fluidly with no jaggies or straight lines.

More to follow

Yep, IIRC that is the program I tried, papyrus.

It did a good job, I agree with what you said that lag comes only when forcing.

Some style of drawing, like sketching, may use those rapid strokes, but pixel art only requires precision and zoom, so the phone fits perfectly there.

Truly, I don´t mind the level of lag on note 2, it seems to me the best there is currently.

@kuro , that slate looks cool.

Found another alternative if you don't mind fans and some heat, the Samsung Series 7 Slate XE700T1A and similar, sold for about 460€ - http://www.office-partner.de/markenshops/samsung/notebooks/126886/samsung-slate-pc-serie-7-700t1a-s03de-29-46cm-anthrazit?campaign=psm/idealo/Markenshops/Samsung/Notebooks

Runs on a Celeron which has about triple the benchmark rating compared to that new Atom. Battery life is from two up to around six hours IIRC, that's Battery Eater test vs. low brightness/no wifi, light usage. But again fans and some heat. Hmm...

Edit: Those battery values could be based on the ULV i5 model, I expect the Celeron to run longer, does anybody know? EDIT 3: Kay, they both have 17W TDP, so the i5 will run longer because it will get the same work done it a shorter time.

More edit: I just noticed you have made your decision Fae. I hope you don't mind me adding one or the other machine here since we've gone into detail on the subject and this seems like kind of a resource now. At least for me, still haven't decided, meh.
Just stuck my money down on the XE700t1c (the i5 one) and at the same time ordered a 256gb Crucial mSata drive to upgrade the SSD from the pathetic 64gb drive they ship in the UK (rip-off Britain again). Managed to use some vouchers I had and the 12% discount I get to get it for a quite reasonable 854 GBP. Which makes the 136 GBP for the SSD a bit more palatable.

Reasons for purchase (other than shiny, shiny new kit and some money burning a hole in my pocket) I had two requirements; Wacom digistiser so I can annotate my Open University course work (PDF's) as well as a keyboard for typing up assignments, and also full Windows compatibility so I can run the course software.

I'll sell my old Thinkpad X200 to offset the cost and I'll be sorted, methinks.

And it's arrived... haven't had too much of a play as I spent last night opening it up and sticking the 256gb SSD in and installing WIndows 8 pro (plus all the Samsung drivers). I will say that the construction is high-quality and although the 1080p screen isn't quite as nice as my wife's retina in the iPad 3, it's bright and sharp.

</no one cares>

Sorry, I didn't even know you had posted! (this thread gets burried so quickly).

I certainly wouldn't mind if you posted a review here - putting emphasis on it's weight, portability, battery life, and of course how a program like Photoshop or Painter performs....

Pics would be appreciated... Especially if you are able to do a side by side comparison with devices like the Nexus 7 or iPad mini (which is similar in scale to the Note 8).

This is just curiosity's sake for me ... As I've pretty much decided on the Note 8... But the more comparative info the better. :)

Just by the by, I found out today the Note 8 will also be available in charcoal black... And it looks really sexy. ;) . ... so now i'm torn which colour to get! Hopefully I'll get a chance to handle them both before I buy.

Just got the note 2. I have to restate that the pen is quite good and response time is tolerable.

Pen could be as long as the phone for my big monkey hands but it is quite fine.

Best phone I've seen so far for art stuff.

Back