How will the Pandora 2 differentiate itself from the market ?

thatgui

Advanced Member
I know that nothing is really set in stone yet, but as craig already has a clear vision of the Pandora and taking the "community oriented" design process of the first Pandora into account, it seems the Pandora will be/have the following features:

• footprint will be basically a tad bigger than the ICP2s (to have enough room for hinge, additional electronics)
  • 1080p Screen
  • at least one, maybe two microSD slots
  • HDMI Video out (probably miniHDMI)
  • FULL USB Port
  • most powerfull SoC currently on the market
  • upgradable SoC
  • Keyboard and game controls
  • Wifi and probably bluetooth
  • Android as main OS (as it will be supported by the SoC manufacturer), Linux as an Option

By the time the Pandora will come out, the already full smartphone market will be overcrowded, leading to feature and price wars between the big manufacturers. As external controller support through mobile OSes themself will surely improve, addons like the ICP2 will surely sell more easy to the masses. Leaving possible surprises aside I guess it is safe to say that the mobile OS market will be split between Android and iOS.

Looking at these facts I ask myself how the Pandora 2 will differentiate itself enough from the market to snap a piece of it off:

footprint will be basically a tad bigger than the ICP2s (to have enough room for hinge, additional electronics)
The P2 will be sleeker than the P1, but smartphones are sleeker and controllers are detachable

1080p Screen
Craig says that they will be standard by that time, so every device will have one

at least one, maybe two microSD slots
Almost every smartphone already has one, a second one will be nice, but does it create the wants/need for a Pandora 2 ?

HDMI Video out (probably miniHDMI)
I'm no sure about that, is it likely that more smartphones get video out (maybe through an adapter cable) in the future ?

FULL USB Port
Something that surely will differentiate it from the market

most powerfull SoC currently on the market
Possible, at least for 4 or 6 months till the next big thing is released. But does this really matter that much ? Sure as with PCs now in the future there will be some games which will push the hardware requirements upwards, but most SoCs in the current Tablet/Smartphone market are already underused.

upgradable SoC
This could be a dealbreaker, but I still have doubts how this will work out. What timeframe are we talking about ? maybe 5 or 6 months ?

Keyboard and game controls
As said before my guess is that they will be far more common and cheaper than now, so no big plus for the Pandora 2 anymore

Wifi and probably bluetooth
fairly standard, and with the Pandora lacking any other forms of communication (3g,4g,?g), not very attractive

Android as main OS (as it will be supported by the SoC manufacturer), Linux as an Option
Android will give the Pandora 2 a huge catalogue of games and applications, but every other device that runs android will have the same

I think ED specifically mentioned he wants Linux as well in the package (not as an option!), if not he would not be interested in it. Same as Notaz, I believe.

And 1080p was a subject of heated discussions (useless resolution at this kind of size -> end up killing your battery consumption and will put your GPU to its knees - Personally I do not see what advantage it bring versus 720p resolution for this kind of screen size).

Obviously the differentiating factor has to be Linux as a full distro in your hand. SOmething Android can never hope to provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ED specifically mentioned he wants Linux as well in the package (not as an option!), if not he would not be interested in it. Same as Notaz, I believe.

Obviously the differentiating factor has to be Linux as a full distro in your hand. SOmething Android can never hope to provide.
I agree on that, but thats all discussed to the death already. I'm simply interested in where the Pandora could stick her head out of the masses of other devices based on the "facts" that are public right now.

Small niche community hardware. Same as Pandora (1).

It seems like it will be too expensive to compete with the big companies.

As stated, Android - Yay! Same as EVERYONE else.

Linux - No high end games/any real games.

Seems like a niche community line.

Is it to much to want a full sized sd card slot ? Just one ?

Guys, you are barking up the wrong tree here. This thread is not (!) intended as a plattform to discuss things like "we need a full sd slot" again.

Craig and a part of this community thinks that the Pandora 2s design should be more aimed in the mass market direction, to raise sailes and attract more people and maybe attract more developers. If this means to sacrifice some of the Pandoras features they are willing to do it. So why not play this through in a food for thought manner.

What sold me was gaming controls + keyboard + emulators + linux + two SD slots and the uniqueness of that combination.

If P2 doesnt offer a unique featureset, it will have to compete partly on price. A tough job. I think it has a chance to be unique or at least qualitatively above the pack in features.

A while back a company was offering a solution to run native android apps under linux (EDIT: it was demoed on the N900). Anyone remember the name? Swiss company maybe. Could be a unique differentiating feature for P2.

For me, the pure-blooded Linux is the only justification for this device. If you plan on selling it as an Android device with some Linux distro which kinda worked on first release, but nobody's had time to get back to it--forget it.

Remember in the $500+ mobile device market you're expected to have an accelerometer, GPS, front/back cameras, dual microphones with noise cancellation, and haptic feedback. Most such devices also have access to cellular voice/data services. It's hard to imagine a happy ending for any effort to go head-to-head with Samsung.

Frankly, if it's microSD and Android, then there isn't much differentiating it from my Galaxy Note II when used with a ICP2.

Software alone isn't going to cut it, if the hardware is too similar to existing stuff (smartphone+icp2), then it's probably better to start working on a good GNU/Linux distro for smartphones instead of trying to compete to the big name hardware manufacturers.

The hardware itself also has to cut a niche. Battery life is one thing, but it's not going to be enough by itself. Clamshell design and full USB port are nice (they give it a micro-laptop flavor), but they don't really add that much functionality. So more is needed.

A screen with PixelQi-like visibility in daylight but with color (it exists, it is possible), that would be a major new thing to have. Even if the resolution would be relatively low (but still more pixels than what you can see with the naked eye) and if it wouldn't be multitouch, that wouldn't be much of a loss in most use cases like desktop applications and retro-gaming.

Two full SD slots for easy swappable external storage would also certainly be something that would differentiate it from phones. It could e.g. be an excellent gadget to view and organize your digital pictures and movies.

Just don't try to make something that is essentially a smartphone without the phone at twice the price.

What klapse, vandyswa, Grench, and _wb_ said.

It's fine to make adjustments for the sake of usability or improvement -- slimmer form factor, microSD, Android, etc. But movements in a mainstream direction are different from the deliberate decision to step into the mainstream arena. I think the latter is a losing proposition. What might win would be things like the fact that the handheld is open, and in the case of the P2 it will be modular. But that's a big "might" in the win.

If the differences laid out here are exhaustive, the next question for me that arises is, are these differences enough to survive?

I agree on that, but thats all discussed to the death already. I'm simply interested in where the Pandora could stick her head out of the masses of other devices based on the "facts" that are public right now.

This is a very positive and constructive topic, sorry for interrupting it. I got those sensations when I read the first post:

- Alright, all the features I don't care about and which is not the reason I bought the pandora one listed again.

- Like your opinions, is there a conclusion?

- Oh, there isn't, its a marketing brainstorming for a product I am still not interested in.

Well, nothing is set in stone. I hope other values will after all lead to the pandora 2. Finding reasons why "Craigs" pandora 2 is still different will also not make me want it (Its not just about being different or special, its about satisfying needs). There is a not so unclear idea of how the pandora could look like beside Craigs ideas. Those ideas will for sure not attract the masses. Why should it. This community is awesome because it found together to create a device that satisfies desires which are not relay attractive for a broader audience.

I'm now a happy Pandora owner too. I am amazed, the pnd system, hex-a-hop, firewhip, firefox, the game controls, the possibilities, I mean wow, for a comunity projekt, respect!! A lot of things working nice, experience is seeming-less, beyond my expectations.

There are also flaws. Most of them have been discussed and many constructive ideas have brought into those discussions. I am not saying that those discussions are left unnoticed. I am saying the priority seems to be somewhere else. I am sure not important in this community, but many little pieces make up the hole thing. I want to say again what I let craig know: What he has in mind might blow my mind and I am in for it on kickstarter and whatever. Right now it does not look like so. I am more in, for what other people propose in other threads (Everything what you would not like to have discussed here). If if the goal is to find a marketing strategy for a product I have no interest in, this thread is not for me, the pandora two is not for me, and every part of this forums that are not related to the pandra (1Ghz) are not for me. Nothing more, nothing less (I probably will be very sad, nothing anyone here has care about [Expect those that are sad to]). There is also nothing I can do but write my little silly comments here and there when time allows.

Little conclusion: I do not want a pandora 2 where the main features are as mentioned above, ergo no interest in thinking about marketing it. I rather read again topics full of fights about a pandora 2 which would interest me.

Big conlusion: Sorry for interrupting this topic, i don't think that my comment is of topic, understand though when it is concerned as such.

Side note: I am using many I's because it sounds like ultimate truth not doing so. There is no ultimate truth in what I write. I am writing and interrupting because I think I am not the only one that thinks like this and hope to get some support or dis support (In order to know where I stand). That will not only help me, but also others that have a similar mindset.

Final questions: - What made the Pandora special for you? (Sorry, probably of topic, but I would love to know)

What klapse, vandyswa, Grench, and _wb_ said.

It's fine to make adjustments for the sake of usability or improvement -- slimmer form factor, microSD, Android, etc. But movements in a mainstream direction are different from the deliberate decision to step into the mainstream arena. I think the latter is a losing proposition. What might win would be things like the fact that the handheld is open, and in the case of the P2 it will be modular. But that's a big "might" in the win.

If the differences laid out here are exhaustive, the next question for me that arises is, are these differences enough to survive?

The way I see it is like this:

There is this little community witch is strong enough to pull the project out of the deepest shit I have seen in my short live... The reason is a device which is awesome. A lot was learned from the past. I think development cost can be kept low with taking working and loved concepts and improving parts people here are not so happy with. From this strong point it should be possible to get a device which is like the Pandora just improved. The result should appeal to most of the old customers and sure some new ones that learn about it.

Plans right now seem to go in the direction of a similar device but it feels like changing so many things that it could be considered a different device. This brings all the uncertainties back (Will it feel god in the hand, will it be comfortable to use, did they make a design error which was not considered important but will then bug many people...). Additionally, it seems to compete with a marked that has no sense to me but consumption. Bored people buying fancy device. I like my device to be usable and functional, in this special case in an area the pandora fills....

Well, I am writing again more than i should and had a loooong day, so let me just post this video again, it explains so much better the last point I want to make:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fb73kHBAirU?feature=oembed

Well, I am writing again more than i should and had a loooong day, so let me just post this video again, it explains so much better the last point I want to make:
Interesting Video. ^^ Such TV commercials never ran here in germany, maybe because they were just to stupid, wrong and manipulative, or more likeley because "Comparative advertising" is forbidden here. :D No way, you can mention or even name an competitors product in an commercial, they take this really serious here.

So better stay by the truth about the strenghts of an product and do not mak other products worse than they are.

This is a very positive and constructive topic, sorry for interrupting it. I got those sensations when I read the first post:

- Alright, all the features I don't care about and which is not the reason I bought the pandora one listed again.

- Like your opinions, is there a conclusion?

- Oh, there isn't, its a marketing brainstorming for a product I am still not interested in.

Well, nothing is set in stone. I hope other values will after all lead to the pandora 2. Finding reasons why "Craigs" pandora 2 is still different will also not make me want it (Its not just about being different or special, its about satisfying needs). There is a not so unclear idea of how the pandora could look like beside Craigs ideas. Those ideas will for sure not attract the masses. Why should it. This community is awesome because it found together to create a device that satisfies desires which are not relay attractive for a broader audience.

I'm now a happy Pandora owner too. I am amazed, the pnd system, hex-a-hop, firewhip, firefox, the game controls, the possibilities, I mean wow, for a comunity projekt, respect!! A lot of things working nice, experience is seeming-less, beyond my expectations.

There are also flaws. Most of them have been discussed and many constructive ideas have brought into those discussions. I am not saying that those discussions are left unnoticed. I am saying the priority seems to be somewhere else. I am sure not important in this community, but many little pieces make up the hole thing. I want to say again what I let craig know: What he has in mind might blow my mind and I am in for it on kickstarter and whatever. Right now it does not look like so. I am more in, for what other people propose in other threads (Everything what you would not like to have discussed here). If if the goal is to find a marketing strategy for a product I have no interest in, this thread is not for me, the pandora two is not for me, and every part of this forums that are not related to the pandra (1Ghz) are not for me. Nothing more, nothing less (I probably will be very sad, nothing anyone here has care about [Expect those that are sad to]). There is also nothing I can do but write my little silly comments here and there when time allows.

Little conclusion: I do not want a pandora 2 where the main features are as mentioned above, ergo no interest in thinking about marketing it. I rather read again topics full of fights about a pandora 2 which would interest me.

Big conlusion: Sorry for interrupting this topic, i don't think that my comment is of topic, understand though when it is concerned as such.

Side note: I am using many I's because it sounds like ultimate truth not doing so. There is no ultimate truth in what I write. I am writing and interrupting because I think I am not the only one that thinks like this and hope to get some support or dis support (In order to know where I stand). That will not only help me, but also others that have a similar mindset.

Final questions: - What made the Pandora special for you? (Sorry, probably of topic, but I would love to know)

This and _wb_ 's .

Answer to question : the pandora is special to me because of the heart of all the people who sacrificed for the project ( If there is ever a documentary film on it then it needs to have the song Carry On in it ) plus the tight knit comunity feels like ... A digital home . It's awesome capeabilities , boss dpad , and 100 percent openness don't hurt either .

Apology to MODS :

Sorry for going off topic .

^^ I apologize I my computer froze and I clicked the post button to many times . I tryed erasing it but it glitched . Took me 5 min of

My life not going to try again

Make it possible to wear it as a forearm-terminal with phone (and gps?) like the GD300

http://ruggedpcrevie...s_gd_gd300.html

gd300_arm_400.jpg

Of course it should be possible to slide the touchscreen and have the controls/keyboard underneath. ;)

Back