Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

Well, if the price will be lower when you trade in an old panda, then i will 100% go for it.

I might still get it anyway tho, but it would be nice if you can do a trade in.

Well, if the price will be lower when you trade in an old panda, then i will 100% go for it.
A trade in is almost guaranteed to be less than what you'd get selling it on ebay. When the time comes, that'll probably be my course: sell my old one on ebay and use the money to supplement the new one.

Somebody tell Apple I want to trade my ipad 1 for an ipad 3 with a discount.

The Pandora 2 will increase the size of your penis.. and include a jetpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
If craigix and co. can't make a cool device for $200 - $400, then others will. Fact is, spending >$600 on a games device is just .. well .. silly money. Not a lot of people have that, or will spend it unless its for a damn good reason. Better would be to set the sights a little lower, and .. innovate .. when it comes time to adding valuable features that attract the market.

If craigix and co. can't make a cool device for $200 - $400, then others will. Fact is, spending >$600 on a games device is just .. well .. silly money. Not a lot of people have that, or will spend it unless its for a damn good reason. Better would be to set the sights a little lower, and .. innovate .. when it comes time to adding valuable features that attract the market.

Well, you dont have to do, there will be different kinds of pandora's available, you can always go for the one that suits your needs for the right price.

I can't understand the mentality of people that are happy to bung out several hundred of their chosen currency on a phone but don't want to drop the cash on a Pandora. It's not a games device, it's a mini PC. I'm not saying this is you Torpor but to say not a lot of people have the cash is simply incorrect when you only have to look at sales of iphones and high end android phones to see that many people do have the cash.

The Pandora is way cooler than a phone or a game console. It's a tiny computer in your pocket. It's whatever you want it to be. It's easily the most awesome bit of kit I've ever owned and I will happily pay for a Pandora 2 when it's here because once again it will be a unique seriously cool bit of kit.

The Pandora is the only bit of kit I find myself reaching for day after day both for play and work. My Android tablet is flavour of the month everytime I find a truly good game but then it's back on the shelf after a week or two and back to the Pandora. And even that is becoming less likely as the Pandora plays several of my favourite Android games now and if I find a new game that works on both it's usually the Pandora that wins as you can't beat a 10 hour plus battery life :)

I can't understand the mentality of people that are happy to bung out several hundred of their chosen currency on a phone but don't want to drop the cash on a Pandora. It's not a games device, it's a mini PC. I'm not saying this is you Torpor but to say not a lot of people have the cash is simply incorrect when you only have to look at sales of iphones and high end android phones to see that many people do have the cash.

The Pandora is way cooler than a phone or a game console. It's a tiny computer in your pocket. It's whatever you want it to be. It's easily the most awesome bit of kit I've ever owned and I will happily pay for a Pandora 2 when it's here because once again it will be a unique seriously cool bit of kit.

The Pandora is the only bit of kit I find myself reaching for day after day both for play and work. My Android tablet is flavour of the month everytime I find a truly good game but then it's back on the shelf after a week or two and back to the Pandora. And even that is becoming less likely as the Pandora plays several of my favourite Android games now and if I find a new game that works on both it's usually the Pandora that wins as you can't beat a 10 hour plus battery life :)

Amen, having a pandora means i wont be needing a tablet or a laptop, it replaces both.

Sadly no one else really wants to make something like Pandora. Almost no one is interested in combining gaming controls (never mind well done gaming controls) with a keyboard. Even the companies doing gaming-centric devices are sticking at the low end of the price curve with meager hardware and poor quality control.

If anyone with a fairly modest amount of money (say $1m, probably even less) invested in something like this they could easily take Pandora 2's market. IMO.

Who do you think is spending $700 on a phone? In this country you usually spend $200-300 at the most on a phone, where the data/voice plan subsidizes the rest. You don't get a bunch of leverage in deciding what the plan costs, and definitely not by going with a lousier phone. And just because a lot of people do have the cash doesn't mean that it's incorrect to say a lot of people don't, and regardless it doesn't really matter if they have it or not if it's something that they aren't willing to pay. And we're already seeing several in this community who are saying they will not buy a $700 Pandora 2. With such a small user base as it is it's sad to see this happen. Trying to convince them that it's actually worth the money because they just have the wrong mentality about it is foolish. Going on about how cool or great it is won't change anyone's mind.

also, yyyeah, people still think it's 1995 and don't understand inflation. It's the future, things cost more because you make more.

Historically technology gets cheaper as time goes on, faster than inflation goes up actually. A "normal" laptop used to cost $2000 back 10 years ago, where today a "normal" one will run about half that... and that has nothing to do with specs... if you throw in specs now vs then then its exponentially cheaper not just reverse to inflation. I would like to see someone argue that.

I will very likely purchase a pandora 2 at $700 as long as it maintains its bleeding edge on proposed release date. The a8 600mhz kicked the shit out of everything in its catagory at the time... now its kinda a hard sell.

It would be like releaseing a cortex a 15 quad core @2ghz today... nothing else has it, paired with its form factor and batterylife its a easy sell... but if they make a a15 when the next gen after a15 is saturated the market and almost at the max of the high end spectrum of what its capable of doing (today we are amost at the max of what a9's are capable of) not a lot will jump at it

So yea as long as they stay in front edge of the market it will be worth the 700 price or whatever but to stay competive they should price proportional to what other devices do and actually lower the price over time, not raise it "with inflation"

Also not sure what country you live in but nothing inflates180% (or whatever % 320 -> 500 equals out to be) over 3-4 years... not even perishable non renuewable things like gasoline

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly no one else really wants to make something like Pandora. Almost no one is interested in combining gaming controls (never mind well done gaming controls) with a keyboard. Even the companies doing gaming-centric devices are sticking at the low end of the price curve with meager hardware and poor quality control.
I've said this before and now its becoming even more true, the 3DS XL, when released and with the second nub attachment, will be one physical keyboard short of being a Pandora. And there's already a linux port for the DS system.

I've said this before and now its becoming even more true, the 3DS XL, when released and with the second nub attachment, will be one physical keyboard short of being a Pandora. And there's already a linux port for the DS system.

The 3DS XL would be a fun toy to play around with if it were open/hacked, but even if it were hacked, Pandora 1 would beat it hands-down in terms of software versatility and community.

Edit: I guess in terms of build quality, Nintendo has the huge advantage of being able to invest tons of money into getting it just right.

We are buying a 3D printer so the new case will be as good as it can be, plus we have been experimenting with aluminium.

Edit: I guess in terms of build quality, Nintendo has the huge advantage of being able to invest tons of money into getting it just right.
They have the money now but, just like every other company they started just like this one, Craigix, Evildragon have. Take another example from Apple, the Woz and Jobs. Woz build the first apple computer with some computer chips stuff in a wooding box he carved up. Now they can afford custom made chips and parts made just for them before everyone else kirf them.

Edit: http://elizabethxto.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/apple-1-1976.jpg

[ x ] <400€/$500/£320
This.

The Challenge is not to make a good product for a high price but make a good product for an affordable Price. I say Pandora 2: 250-300€ and I'm sure you can sell around 50K units and more with this price in short time. So you can order more units which makes the production cheaper and so on. ;) I see the biggest Problem of Pandora 1 was the small batch, which made everything so expencive and forced the OP Team to find companies that are willing to make such small batches, which doesn't turned out very well imho.

We are buying a 3D printer so the new case will be as good as it can be, plus we have been experimenting with aluminium.
I guess there are cheaper ways instead of buying a usable 3D Printer for gazillion bucks. ^^ I see more and more (online) 3D Print Shops that offer good quality prints to fair prices, I love the 21. Century! :)

A 3D printer is like ~$1200.

Most of those online print shops end up charging you about $150 for a single print. It's far cheaper to just buy the printer.

Sure the P2 price is a bit more, but think about it like this: You are spending $699 up front, but how much are you paying for software in the long run vs. any commercial handheld? I think the overall device lifetime financial investment is probably lower (for most people).

It would probably be best to have two or three variants to make sure that there's something for everyone's budget. E.g., in two years or so, you would get the option to buy:

- refurbished Pandora 1 with broken nub or wifi: 100 EUR

- refurbished fully functional Pandora 1 with 256MB RAM: 150 EUR

- refurbished fully functional Pandora 1 with 512MB RAM: 170 EUR

- refurbished fully functional Pandora 1.5 (1GHz model): 220 EUR

- new Pandora 1.5 (1Ghz model): 320 EUR

- Pandora 2, basic model (say, 512MB RAM, 1.5 GHz CPU): 400 EUR

- Pandora 2, standard model (say, 1GB RAM, 1.8 GHz CPU): 550 EUR

- Pandora 2, premium model (say, 2GB RAM, 2 GHz CPU): 700 EUR

- Pandora 2, super-premium (same as premium but comes with nice preloaded SD card(s) and perhaps some USB devices): 850 EUR

The prices and specs are completely made up, but something like this would be really nice: it would allow teenagers with essentially no budget to buy a Pandora while those of us who can afford it, can get bleeding edge stuff. I would also make sure that the profit margins on the low-end models are as low as possible while the margins on the high-end models can be much more considerable.

I realize that economy of scales makes it difficult to make more than one model, but still I think something like the above would be great.

One important advantage of having lower-end models, is that it avoids software devs getting lazy and releasing slow software: if it has to run nicely on the low-end model, then it will run very smoothly on the high-end model. If you only have the high-end model, you'll typically end up with software that doesn't fully use all the hardware potential there is, because the devs won't feel the need to further optimize as soon as it works well enough.

Back