Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

Maybe we should have a sticky in this section that contains the omap5 specs, and then expand it with specs of other potential socs for the P2.

So that people can base their idea´s on what the socs are capable of.
That is a good idea!

I never said dreamers are better, i said dreaming is not a bad thing, good things can come from it.

The rest you just filled in yourself, which is a common thing for people who feel attacked all the time.
You said it in the context of Exophase pointing out the flaws in Grench's "dream". If that's not what you meant to say, then what you said added absolutely nothing to the conversation but confusion.

Again no, the point was to tell Exo to ease up, hes offended too easily, and you seeminlgy have a similar problem, almost starting to think both of you are the same person.

Here is a block diagram if you want it: http://www.ti.com/ge...ontentId=103102

It's not really a great one, more showing a configuration than all of the peripherals, but at least it gives you a minimum. I see two SDIO and two MMC/SD. The SDIO ports are probably capable of running plain old SD cards (but not MMC cards); would be very strange and pretty pointless if they couldn't, as well as a departure from previous designs.

Of course there's no guarantee Pandora 2 will have OMAP5, MWeston has even expressed Exynos 5 could work. This is assuming they can even get either.

That one is a bit slower then the omap5 tho, does the mali gpu offer enough advantages over the omap5 gpu to choose for the Exynos5 instead?

There is no "Mali GPU", there is a broad family of GPUs that are named Mali. We don't know what Exynos 5 uses (I'm not actually sure it's even officially confirmed that it uses Mali, and I don't just mean claimed by rumor sites).

Although Exynos 5 is currently claiming to be 1.7GHz and OMAP5 2GHz we really don't know that the latter (or former, for that matter) will be available with that rating and a low enough TDP to run in Pandora. It's probably more suited for high end tablets or even bigger devices. It's naive to think that a Cortex-A15 at 2GHz won't consume several times the power a Cortex-A8 at 1GHz does, even with the smaller process node.. and we're not just talking battery life, there are limits to how much heat a small form factor can take and how much power a mobile high efficiency PMIC can provide.

Here is a block diagram if you want it: http://www.ti.com/ge...ontentId=103102

It's not really a great one, more showing a configuration than all of the peripherals, but at least it gives you a minimum. I see two SDIO and two MMC/SD. The SDIO ports are probably capable of running plain old SD cards (but not MMC cards); would be very strange and pretty pointless if they couldn't, as well as a departure from previous designs.

Of course there's no guarantee Pandora 2 will have OMAP5, MWeston has even expressed Exynos 5 could work. This is assuming they can even get either.

That one is a bit slower then the omap5 tho, does the mali gpu offer enough advantages over the omap5 gpu to choose for the Exynos5 instead?

There is no "Mali GPU", there is a broad family of GPUs that are named Mali. We don't know what Exynos 5 uses (I'm not actually sure it's even officially confirmed that it uses Mali, and I don't just mean claimed by rumor sites).

Although Exynos 5 is currently claiming to be 1.7GHz and OMAP5 2GHz we really don't know that the latter (or former, for that matter) will be available with that rating and a low enough TDP to run in Pandora. It's probably more suited for high end tablets or even bigger devices. It's naive to think that a Cortex-A15 at 2GHz won't consume several times the power a Cortex-A8 at 1GHz does, even with the smaller process node.. and we're not just talking battery life, there are limits to how much heat a small form factor can take and how much power a mobile high efficiency PMIC can provide.

Well, hopefully one of the two will be cool enough.

Either will be cool enough if you (or more typically, the SoC vendor) restrict the clock speed enough. They're definitely made to support phones, which have stricter requirements than Pandora.

But we don't know where those restrictions, if any, will lie so it's impossible to get a complete understanding of performance at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either will be cool enough if you (or more typically, the SoC vendor) restrict the clock speed enough. They're definitely made to support phones, which have stricter requirements than Pandora.

But we don't know where those restrictions, if any, will lie so it's impossible to get a complete understanding of performance at this point.

Sounds logical enough, from marketing perspective my expectation would say they wont have to be restricted a whole lot.

If they do have to, then 2013 wont bring much revolutions in phone tech, as 2011/2012 did.

Not considering the improved architechture ofcourse, common consumers only care about clock cycles, amount of cores and ram.

Again no, the point was to tell Exo to ease up, hes offended too easily, and you seeminlgy have a similar problem, almost starting to think both of you are the same person.

Speaking of which, many people seem to think that RedBaron and I are the same person. <_<

Sounds logical enough, from marketing perspective my expectation would say they wont have to be restricted a whole lot.

For example look at OMAP4460 which was announced to be 1.5GHz but in practice was almost always limited to 1GHz or 1.2GHz in phones and even tablets.

Hopefully these processors will have asynchronous clocks and you'll be allowed to clock one higher if the other one is off.

This thread.

jackie-chan-wtf.png

+ for $699 the Pandora 2 better do something special like cancel parking tickets. ;)

Speaking of which, many people seem to think that RedBaron and I are the same person. <_<

You're not? Oh great i've just lost a fiver. :(

Again no, the point was to tell Exo to ease up, hes offended too easily, and you seeminlgy have a similar problem,
Again, yes. You told him to lighten up within the context of pointing out flaws in Grench's "dream". Whether it was your intention or not, by telling Exophase to lighten up and not Grench you implied that Grench's optimistic dream was more important than Exophase being correct. That is, as he said, unfair and irrational.

almost starting to think both of you are the same person.
More than one person is allowed to correct someone when they are dangerously wrong. Not just kind of maybe optimistically wrong, I mean flat out not supported in anyway within the confines of the present reality wrong.

If someone has an idea that hasn't been disproven, by all means they can go ahead and dream their dream. If the dream is proven false and they continue to proclaim it as if it were still fact despite the evidence, that is when I have a problem.

Again no, the point was to tell Exo to ease up, hes offended too easily, and you seeminlgy have a similar problem,
Again, yes. You told him to lighten up within the context of pointing out flaws in Grench's "dream". Whether it was your intention or not, by telling Exophase to lighten up and not Grench you implied that Grench's optimistic dream was more important than Exophase being correct. That is, as he said, unfair and irrational.

almost starting to think both of you are the same person.
More than one person is allowed to correct someone when they are dangerously wrong. Not just kind of maybe optimistically wrong, I mean flat out not supported in anyway within the confines of the present reality wrong.

If someone has an idea that hasn't been disproven, by all means they can go ahead and dream their dream. If the dream is proven false and they continue to proclaim it as if it were still fact despite the evidence, that is when I have a problem.

Uh no, i implied him to ease up, i am implying you to do the same right now.

There is not room in a (possibly smaller) P2 for three SD slots

at a squeeze there might be room for two SD and one microSD - maybe

There is probably room for two SD slots

full SD will probably be marginally cheaper per GB or Mb/s for a while yet

P1 owners may want to use their old SD cards

Craig says he wants the P2 to be smaller - it certainly shouldn't be bigger

My personal preference would be for two full SD slots, one internal, one external, with enough built-in disk for a recovery/skeleton OS of sorts - or whatever is cheap(est)

Why? Why?

3DS is horrible in my hands.

I never had a handheld which fits as great in my hands as the Pandora.

More features like 3 SD slots or R2/L2 buttons are more important than a smaler device.

The bigger it is the more you can put inside :D .

it certainly shouldn't be bigger

That's true. It shouldn't be much bigger but a bigger screen is also nice.

Yupp, Pandora 2 could be thinner but not smaller. We are not little Nintendo Kids with tiny asian hands or so, we are Men, we need a good bunch of "brick" to hold! :D I even would make the P2 wider, and I personaly wouldn't have problems with Atary Lynx Dimensions, except the thickness of course. ;)

Why? Why?

More features like 3 SD slots or R2/L2 buttons are more important than a smaler device.

Must agree with you, if P2 will be as big as Pandora, I'm totally ok with that :)

Uh no, i implied him to ease up, i am implying you to do the same right now.
No, you blatantly stated that you wanted him to ease up, and are stating it again right here; in the context you implied that it was because you valued Grench's optimistic dream more than Exophase's facts.

Telling someone they're wrong is not an attack, nor is it a response to an attack: some people just don't like false information. Grench was wrong, Exophase corrected him. You are wrong, I am correcting you. I am frequently wrong, people correct me all the time, but not this time.

Why? Why?

Must agree with you, if P2 will be as big as Pandora, I'm totally ok with that :)

I wish Craig would change his mind and make P2 an inch larger.

Thinner lcd portion wouldnt piss me off none, the base seems reasonably think but slim would have to come from somewhere to be more pocket friendly.

It does fit in the pocket, but i and everyone else knows theres something rather large in my pants. (Giggity giggity)

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Back