Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

Uh no, i implied him to ease up, i am implying you to do the same right now.
No, you blatantly stated that you wanted him to ease up, and are stating it again right here; in the context you implied that it was because you valued Grench's optimistic dream more than Exophase's facts.

Telling someone they're wrong is not an attack, nor is it a response to an attack: some people just don't like false information. Grench was wrong, Exophase corrected him. You are wrong, I am correcting you. I am frequently wrong, people correct me all the time, but not this time.

Uh no, i implied him to ease up, i am implying you to do the same right now.

Never mix media types on a device or you wind up with something like this:

http://apj.co.uk/pc110/pt_hw.htm

And yes, I've always wanted an IBM PC-110 but could never justify actually buying one.
Man, when did this happened? I never knew IBM made a handheld, running win95 at that. It almost look exactly like the Pandora.

Wow! I love the docking station! :)

p_doc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice device.

Docking station? Do Want

Don't know if that'd be a good idea.

The Pandora has to be made to be compatible to a docking station and that'd cost money.

Surely you could also fot a docking station to the Pandora but it's hard if the Pandora isn't designed to fir in a docking station.

A docking station on the existing Pandora wouldn't be that awkward. It just needs a bit to go in the back to the EXT port. Look at the 3DS charging pad, that doesn't attach to anything in the bottom either. It wouldn't be as well fitting as that but it'd work.

@WizardStan

@Exophase

even if we're all saying: "just don't use the internal microSD and ignore it" arguing logic with some is a waste of time.

someone saying "eew, I don't want an <Y> mixed with my <X>s" is right up there with the infantile "refusing to eat his meal because the potatoes are touching the carrots".

the meal has been stained for life with the oogahboogah yuckiness cooties! whaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I've been accused of trolling, but 8 pages later you guys haven't got anywhere using logic.

its a lost cause.

Well maybe, if the Pandora 2 sells good, evildragon could make a poll

"Would you buy a docking station?"

I've seen a lot of perfectly rational arguments in this thread, though some of the participants in the discussion are very passionate in defending their point of view.

I agree with many of the pro-microSD arguments: it's smaller, so we have more physical volume left for other things; in the medium-range, price per GB and speeds are comparable, and the trend seems to be towards more microSD devices so prices will probably drop.

I also agree with many of the contra-microSD arguments: top cards will probably always be faster and bigger in full SD, and since the P2 will be an expensive niche device, it should not limit users that want to use top cards. Also it is nice if P1 cards can be used on the P2, and the physical volume argument does not really apply since it suffices to have one internal and one external slot, so compared to the P1 we still save the volume of the NAND.

There are good arguments in favor of both views. Personally, I think the P2 needs at least one full SD slot (for compatibility with the P1), and I would prefer to have two, one of which would be internal and be used to boot from / swap / install most programs. Perhaps an additional _external_ microSD slot could be added, if space is available.

Docking station? Do Want :D

there already is a plethora of docking stations for OpenPandora:

http://tinyurl.com/75ceogg

docking stations were required because you needed to plug 8 different cables to your laptop.

that's not the case anymore, all you need to plug is 2 or 3 cables: power, USB, and optionally video (if you're really lazy you can even get a USB video adapter to get an external screen without plugging in a 3rd cable).

Last edited by a moderator:
I also agree with many of the contra-microSD arguments: top cards will probably always be faster and bigger in full SD, and since the P2 will be an expensive niche device, it should not limit users that want to use top cards. Also it is nice if P1 cards can be used on the P2, and the physical volume argument does not really apply since it suffices to have one internal and one external slot, so compared to the P1 we still save the volume of the NAND.

Why do you believe that top cards will always be faster for SD than microSD? Nothing about the technology implies that you can get faster speeds with larger chips. If there's enough market demand for large cards on microSD there's no reason why they won't get the same premium performance cards. You can already see this with the recently reviewed card running at 90MB/s read and 80MB/s write.

Who knows what the market condition will be in late 2013, but the trend is pointing towards convergence of quality for microSD. Frankly I find it questionable that end users will see a ton of benefit from upgrading the performance of their boot SD anyway, but maybe that's something that will have to be compared..

There's also no reason to believe that any segment of SD will always have superior cost per GB. The only natural advantage SD has is larger capacity at the highest end. There has to be continuing market demand for this to exist too - the same small dies can be used in microSD and SD but the large ones can only be used in SD. The demand will probably remain though, since I don't expect digital cameras to drop full SD.

Why do you believe that top cards will always be faster for SD than microSD? Nothing about the technology implies that you can get faster speeds with larger chips. If there's enough market demand for large cards on microSD there's no reason why they won't get the same premium performance cards. You can already see this with the recently reviewed card running at 90MB/s read and 80MB/s write.

Because that is the way it has always been. Finding a reviewer's sample article about a 16GB microSDXC card getting similar performance to full sized 128GB SDXC cards that have been on the market nearly a year does not support your argument of same-same Grench is insane.

Who knows what the market condition will be in late 2013, but the trend is pointing towards convergence of quality for microSD. Frankly I find it questionable that end users will see a ton of benefit from upgrading the performance of their boot SD anyway, but maybe that's something that will have to be compared..

There's also no reason to believe that any segment of SD will always have superior cost per GB. The only natural advantage SD has is larger capacity at the highest end. There has to be continuing market demand for this to exist too - the same small dies can be used in microSD and SD but the large ones can only be used in SD. The demand will probably remain though, since I don't expect digital cameras to drop full SD.

The Pandora is not just a game console. You may not have any use for cards larger than 32GB - many of us do.

All of the microSD vs SD discussion has just been made moot though as CraigIX stated that they will be moving to microSD. I, personally, consider this to be a colossal mistake as it immediately halves the storage performance and storage capacity of the device. So be it. That is his and the Pandora 2 design team's choice. Until this point I was 100% in line to buy one. If it's going to be a microSD device - I just lost interest. A primary use for my Pandora is in reviewing pictures and video coming off of my cameras. If I can't pop the SD card from one to the other - it's no longer a 'device of interest' to me. You're all welcome to your own purchase decisions. The design team needs to know, though, that if they go microSD, they will risk loosing a big chunk of the photography and beyond-gaming purchasers & users of their device. I can't make a microSD slot accept a full size SD card. I'm not about to give up the capacity and capabilities of the full size cards for other devices.

Anyone who thinks microSD is going to 'catch up' to full sized SD in the next 18 months are the real 'dreamers'. It hasn't happened in the last 10+ years - what makes you think it's going to magically happen now?

Hardware development team, please don't be this short sighted. Understand that this device is way more than a game console - and those beyond console uses would see substantial negative impact if the device goes microSD.

And yes, I've always wanted an IBM PC-110 but could never justify actually buying one.
Man, when did this happened? I never knew IBM made a handheld, running win95 at that. It almost look exactly like the Pandora.

Wow! I love the docking station! :)

p_doc.gif

Product 3 confirmed!

That little device ran Windows 3.1, Windows XP, IBM OS/2, RedHat Linux, FreeBSD and more.

Onboard it had TWO type II PCMCIA slots, a CF slot, modem, soundblaster audio, dual front speakers, a microphone, 640x480 256color graphics on a 4.7" screen, a 486sl CPU and up to 4MB of RAM.

I've drooled over pictures and specs for those for 15 years and never had the right reasons and chance to buy one.

It had just a bit larger dimensions than the Pandora.

IBM PC-110: 157x113x33mm

Pandora: 140x83x27

Very cool old tech.

I had a chance to buy a new one about 15 years or so ago through a company called Dynamism. They were originally only sold in Japan. Dynamism was importing them and translating the manuals for US consumers. At the time I wasn't able to come up with the 1200.00USD to buy one - that's $1200 in 1996 currency - so something on the order of $2K in today's $$$$.

The Pandora is a better machine in pretty much every way except build quality - it's hard to top the late '90s IBM build quality. Just pick up an IBM PS/2 tactile click keyboard from that era if you need an example.

@grench not going to jump into the argument, just going to leave this here and walk away.

full sd

http://www.sandisk.c...hs-i-card-30mbs

micro sd

http://www.sandisk.c...rds-for-android

stupid expensive but bleeding edge fast full sd

http://www.sandisk.c...-i-memory-cards

EDIT:

I agree in general with the full sd internal vs microsd for speed, if it comes down to slimming down as much as possible/surface area I say go for micro.. but keep the two external full + 1 internal (format depending on available physical space)

you can always use micro cards with an adapter, but you can't shrink a full card down to a micro slot.

Sorry - but listing links to a manufacturer's site with meaningless MSRP numbers and no release dates is fairly well pointless in this discussion.

Good effort though.

I prefer SD cards used with P2. Simply because microSD cards wear faster! (I use them a lot). If you swap them, full sized SDcards are the bether choice in this case.

Regarding speed and size, SDXC cards are always ahead.

Craigix said:
There is no way we can make it smaller and keep full sized SD. No other similar sized devices use full sized SD anymore, by 2014 full sized SD will be on its way out and mini/micro will be way out selling it, which will make mini/micro the market leader for price and spec.
1.SD cards are not dead yet.There is no need to always go with the flow!

2.I'm fine with the size. An alu case sounds swesome! ; )

3.miniSD cards are pretty much dead

Foxgod said:
Its by no means enough evidence to call the big bang a fact, which is why its still a theory.
ehm well..... sry its a fact xD eath ain't about 2000 years old lol (just kidding) : P

I dont want to make fun of anyone but how do they explain dinosaurs? seriously? o_O

Back