Release Pale Moon

The PDF functions of Firefox are not compiled in by default with PaleMoon. It make sense on most Desktop configuration because you have PDF support on your system. On the Pandora, it make less sense, but not sure I can activate that function. I'll dig the many config parameter for the compile to see if I can activate it, but not sure. In the mean time, use regular Firefox or QuZilla or other...

I assumed it was taken out as one of the things that was removed to save speed. Qupzilla and Firefox both have it. Was it never there?
I think you have to be more explicit, I just don't understand which function your are refereing to. Just launched Fireforx and I didn't saw "Print to file".

About PDF, you can enable internal PDF handling in PaleMoon.

go to "config:about" and search for pdfjs fields.Than change pdfjs.disabled to false (double click on the line) and pdfjs.firstRun to false (or not?). Now, internal PDF handling is enabled. If you want all pdf handled internaly, go to Edit|Preferences and in Applications tab, change the value for "Portable Document Format (PDF)" to "Preview in Pale Moon".

It is certainly a nice-to-have and not a need. Thanks for looking into it! I've always wondered about a system wide implementation, as I haven't been able to get addon/extensions to work for print to PDF. I think otter browser has it working though.

EDIT: In fact, I believe ptitseb is right that the feature is not a part of Firefox, and I have certainly tried all the extensions I could find as Firefox was my main browser for a while. I am not sure about Qupzilla, but will check when I get home. We do have options, however, as I believe it works in one of my Debian installs as well as in Chromium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the "Ignore the buildin Flashplugin" Option ;)

I will reflash my Pandora soon,update all and will try the new Build ;)

Ah, so Print to File is part of the OS and not the browser? Hopefully the Pyra will have it, it's a good feature to have in combination with Google Cloud Print.

New build on the repo. I have just updated the sources to latest stable. I'll try to stick with stable release from now on.

Build 05

-----------

• Used 25.2 final sources

Also, I have run the peacekeeper test from future mark. Here are the result (everything but the h264 video run ok, with some strange freeze on the spitfire test, and notes tahta I have a 1Go swap)

peacekeeper_palemoon_1.png

peacekeeper_palemoon_2.png

peacekeeper_palemoon_3.png

peacekeeper_palemoon_4.png

I tried the new Repo Version Yesterday Evening

with a reflashed 1GHZ Pandora.

With my 70Kb/s Internal Wlan Connetcion worked the Webm Videos not because the Bitrate and Sound Error.

Then i renembered to change that Webm thing to false in About:Config and with 144P worked my Pandora now very fine with Youtube ;)

Looked German Anime Wedding Peach Series ;)

Also the Nand internal Flashplugin is wonderfully ignored ;)

Can you change that Webm Video to false by default in your PND?

That would be perfect for us Pandora Users ;)

Good work from you again,thx for doing that ;)

So, here is a new version.

Note that, previous was 25.2.final, new is 25.2.1, so I think it will not show up as updated in PNDManager.

Build 06

-----------

• Used 25.2.1 final sources
  • Because of the naming, it may not show as updated
  • Put Webm disabled by default

Thanks for Pale Moon, I didn't know it before and again something I know from the Pandora has made it to my desktop pc.

It has completely replaced Firefox for me now.

Thanks for Pale Moon, I didn't know it before and again something I know from the Pandora has made it to my desktop pc.

It has completely replaced Firefox for me now.
Same here!Replaced Opera on all PCs :)

There's even a version optimized for Intel Atoms... working nicely on Meegopad, better than k-meleon

The main reason is that sites are designed and implemented by morons (for morons). Web designer is still not among the better paying paying jobs in this industry. Also the fact that they are trying to shoehorn (bad) security, advertising spam capability, and interactive applications into HTTP has lead to quite an unwieldy technology with lots of large and crappy implementations (browsers and frameworks). And there currently is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Sorry to reply to such an old post, but couldn't leave this ill-informed post uncorrected. :)

Web designers might not be very well paid, but web developers are somewhat better paid, and most of what you're talking about here requires a web developer, not a designer. Also you'll find most developers really care how their web apps run on slow devices, especially mobiles, because they represent an ever increasing percentage of traffic.

What makes a lot of sites slow is actually not "lots of large and crappy implementations" at all, but advertising networks. Visit any popular website with devtools open and watch how much of the time is related to the almost endless trips around ad network servers which often block rendering because they don't care about the user experience at all, just the fact the user gets to see an advert.

Btw, I'm impressed by the performance of Blue Moon, great job!

Since I switched to Pale Moon on my Windows systems too & read up on some stuff on their forums and web page, I just stumbled over the redistribution license page, which sais:

Even though Pale Moon is open source and the source is supplied under the Mozilla Public License, redistribution of the Pale Moon binaries is limited by certain conditions under a proprietary license by Moonchild Productions, as permitted under 3.2b of the MPL v2.0.

[..]

10.The only exception to this redistribution policy not otherwise covered in points 7 or 8 is if the repackaged or private build with official branding has been pre-approved by Moonchild for redistribution and is listed on this website as a contributed build.

[..]

12. If you wish to distribute binaries for other platforms built on the Pale Moon source code, you may not use official branding unless these builds have also been approved as a contributed build as per point 10 of this license or if they are exempt under points 7 or 8 of this license. Even so, you obtain no rights to the Pale Moon name or logo, merely the permission to use it for the 3rd party build and only for as long as it is officially endorsed or satisfies the conditions for exemption. [..]

13. Unofficial branding ("New Moon") as supplied in the source code may be used for unendorsed binaries at all times. Thusly branded binaries with the New Moon logo and product name are not subject to the endorsement and exception rules as set out in previous points of this license and may be freely distributed subject to the Mozilla Public License as regards source code changes and availability. [..]
...so it seems the Pandora build should use the New Moon branding, or get a "contributed build" approval from the Moonchild guy.

When I first read over the exception in point 8, I thought it would probably not apply... But depending on your build configuration, it might work after all, and everything is fine as is:

8. An exception applies to point 5 of this license for inclusion of the officially branded binaries in freely available and fully Open Source operating systems, [..]. This exception only applies to unaltered versions of the Pale Moon binaries or officially branded variants specifically built for the target operating system from unaltered sources (including brand-specific configurations like e.g. home page, default search engine). If any of the essential settings of the browser are altered beyond what is strictly needed for providing a working build on the target operating system, the exception in this point does not apply and the license defaults to point 10, instead.
...but I'm no license expert, and I find the details of this one mildly confusing.

Back