Release Pale Moon

Does anyone know if recent Firefox on the Pandora still has TLS problems with the Google login page? Because PaleMoon doesn't...

(Also, please don't change L/R bindings - I use those all the time when typing...)

I had one crash, but that seems to have been due to Flash barfing on some embedded ads - been fine ever since I disabled the plugin.

The greatest thing about Pale Moon is that it still supports the old Sync protocol (and they have an Android version with weave sync support).

2: Disable FireFox compatibility mode

Especially the compatibility mode seems to slow PaleMoon down a lot.
From what I understand, all "compatibility mode" does is change the UserAgent identifier that is sent to web servers. But possibly many sites feed more complex stylesheets and javascript to browsers identified as "real" Firefox.

This works very nicely! The only current pandora browser with which I can reliably use Facebook. Not that Facebook is the best website to browse on the pandora :) but it is a good test, since it eats so much memory that most browsers just go belly up and die. This one doesn't. The only other one which survived more than a few minutes was Jumanji, but that one no longer starts, unfortunately :/

I didn't get any sound on youtube, but I got running movies. That may, on the other hand, have something to do with the flash plugin, since attempting to watch videos on facebook (yes, I know - living on the edge) ended in a "You need to install a modern flash plugin" kind of message. Or have i missed something?

This works very nicely! The only current pandora browser with which I can reliably use Facebook. Not that Facebook is the best website to browse on the pandora :)
This is in fact IMPRESSIVE!

Why do todays websites eat so much ressources by the way? Even less graphical stuff like Twitter, Facebook (some pics there but still no reason for the slowness). Recently Youtube loads even slow onto my PC and takes long to load the thumbnails. They make their website worse every week.

Websites should be actualy more optimized, especialy since mobile devices are in trend. Or how does all that webstuff run onto todays smartphones and tablets? I have to ask that stupid because I don't have any of that devilish modern devices. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these sites have apps that run on smartphones if you want to access their stuff, so they design their websites for computers with gigabytes of ram and multicore processors.

Why do todays websites eat so much ressources by the way? Even less graphical stuff like Twitter, Facebook (some pics there but still no reason for the slowness). Recently Youtube loads even slow onto my PC and takes long to load the thumbnails. They make their website worse every week.

Websites should be actualy more optimized, especialy since mobile devices are in trend. Or how does all that webstuff run onto todays smartphones and tablets? I have to ask that stupid because I don't have any of that devilish modern devices. :D
The pictures aren't the problem.The problem is the complexity of the sites and above all the scripting in Java Script. Browsing gets much faster if you disable JS - even in this board. Unfortunately some sites don't work without Javascript... -_-

This works very nicely! The only current pandora browser with which I can reliably use Facebook. Not that Facebook is the best website to browse on the pandora :) but it is a good test, since it eats so much memory that most browsers just go belly up and die. This one doesn't. The only other one which survived more than a few minutes was Jumanji, but that one no longer starts, unfortunately :/
Qupzilla worked very well for Facebook as well.

Websites should be actualy more optimized, especialy since mobile devices are in trend. Or how does all that webstuff run onto todays smartphones and tablets?
The pictures aren't the problem.
The problem is the complexity of the sites and above all the scripting in Java Script. Browsing gets much faster if you disable JS - even in this board. Unfortunately some sites don't work without Javascript... -_-
On Smartphones and Tablets they don't use the Web - they use "Apps", which give the Publisher much more control over the user's environment (no browser plugins, thus no ad-blocking etc.)... But still, many web sites have "mobile" versions - which are not used on the Pandora, as it's usually identified as a "desktop" device (probably there's somewhere a Firefox add-on that makes the User Agent switchable between mobile and desktop).

For example:

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/

https://m.facebook.com/

https://mobile.twitter.com/

The main reason is that sites are designed and implemented by morons (for morons). Web designer is still not among the better paying paying jobs in this industry. Also the fact that they are trying to shoehorn (bad) security, advertising spam capability, and interactive applications into HTTP has lead to quite an unwieldy technology with lots of large and crappy implementations (browsers and frameworks). And there currently is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Websites should be actualy more optimized, especialy since mobile devices are in trend. Or how does all that webstuff run onto todays smartphones and tablets?
The pictures aren't the problem.The problem is the complexity of the sites and above all the scripting in Java Script. Browsing gets much faster if you disable JS - even in this board. Unfortunately some sites don't work without Javascript... -_-
 On Smartphones and Tablets they don't use the Web - they use "Apps", which give the Publisher much more control over the user's environment (no browser plugins, thus no ad-blocking etc.)... But still, many web sites have "mobile" versions - which are not used on the Pandora, as it's usually identified as a "desktop" device (probably there's somewhere a Firefox add-on that makes the User Agent switchable between mobile and desktop).

For example:

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/

https://m.facebook.com/

https://mobile.twitter.com/
But most mobile website have less features, e.g. without the possibility to send or read messages. Just because most features are implemented with Javascript...

Interesting, I didn't knew that some websites use dedicated apps to run onto mobile versions. No wonder they can be lazy with the Browser versions. ^^" Well, disable Javascript does not always help, I use noscript as standard onto my Pandora Firefox installation, but like already sayed, some websites need javascript (and more) to even run. Facebook does even seems to need everything because it does not work 100% correctly, as long as you don't enable everything that is blocked by noscript, scary. At least I'm not a FB junkie (it's just everywhere, sadly), can't imagine people would be happy with the browser version on mobile devices at all.

By the way, on my Pandora, Firefox does use the "mobile" versions of websites if available. I had the mobile version of google as standard, as same as the mobile version of golem.de. Nothing set per hand. But I usualy prefer the normal versions of these Websites anyways. ^^"

Does anyone know if recent Firefox on the Pandora still has TLS problems with the Google login page? Because PaleMoon doesn't...
I think that updating to the latest firmware should fix this. The Pandora before 1.71 was missing some certificates. Palemoon comes with them but other software don't. 

Guys if you like PaleMoon please rate it in the repo OR comment to show your appreciation in there. I can't believe nobody left any feedback there...
Done.  Thanks for the reminder.  I used Pale Moon for my recent comments and ratings.

I like Pale Moon a lot on my desktop, but after installng it on my Pandora I haven't managed to find it in the Network menu.  Still, someday I'll really like it.

Maybe a corrupted download?

Back