Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Almost 3 million $ pledged in less than 2 days, 28 days to go...

How about making a Kickstarter for the Pandora 2 ? If it has good specs (enough to emulate a PS2, lets say), and a resonable price (500$ ?), I'm prettry sure you will get more than 10 million $ pledged :p This should be enough to make it a reality right ? :p

they might charge a subscription to use their service, but as a device they (at least plan) is to make it a open console, source code, sdk, internal debug board, root out of the box possible and they mentioned the possibly even the schematics being released. I may be overly optimistic on this but the plan sounds great if it is technically possible to do at that cost... I have no idea.

I think you will be seeing some articles very soon which are not afraid to question this device, costs and viability.

Even if they make $10mil there still won't be any profit so unless they literally pay themselves $1mil each and shut down, they are working for very little aside from headaches.

My guess would be they will be making you pay a subscription to actually use it.

They did mention that they will be taking 30% of developer profits on official games sold over their market.

Whether or not this will cover the hardware costs is... well... I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

How about making a Kickstarter for the Pandora 2 ? If it has good specs (enough to emulate a PS2, lets say), and a resonable price (500$ ?), I'm prettry sure you will get more than 10 million $ pledged :p This should be enough to make it a reality right ? :p
$250 for the P2 would be a resonable Price. ;)

As lower the price, as more people will buy it, so I guess, a P2 Kickstarter campaign may not be that successful, if people are forced to pay $500 ore more for it.

$250 for the P2 would be a resonable Price. ;)

As lower the price, as more people will buy it, so I guess, a P2 Kickstarter campaign may not be that successful, if people are forced to pay $500 ore more for it.

We don't want more people to buy it. It will be $699 and will keep the niche market, we want that.

It will however be the most powerful handheld we can make. No corners will be cut at all. It will have the absolute best hardware we can buy.

Hmm, brief mention of the Pandora as recognition of the goals of an open console. Nice.

We don't want more people to buy it. It will be $699 and will keep the niche market, we want that.

It will however be the most powerful handheld we can make. No corners will be cut at all. It will have the absolute best hardware we can buy.
To be more precise, I don't want a huge customer base just because of nice big numbers, the only thing I want is a huge developer base and I'm sure, everyone would profit from this. As more people are having such an Device, as more peopla also will make Software for it and we really can need that.

No way to do it again like Pandora 1, where only one guy was doing the hardcore kernel stuff and maybe 2-3 others the OS base things. I'm sure, you also want to have an usable firmware/OS and app base for the P2, much faster than we had for the P1. ;)

The only way to get this is to have more devs that can do this stuff. Sad but true. I'm also for a niche market device, it has something exclussive and I never would buy an iPhone, alone because of the fact, everyone has one :D

But the HW of P2 has no value, if good Software is missing. And this is the point, where I watch the OUYA project very carefuly. Even if their HW sounds nice, at the end we will see, if they can succeed with the available Software.

They actually have excess funding ! If they fail ( which I dobt as of the current amount of money they have already )they could to recover losses jack the price up another usd 50$ on the remaining unsold units ( the ones that were not preordered ) all in all I wish this company luck though I dobt there need it just look at their kickstarter page !

But the HW of P2 has no value, if good Software is missing.
That's actually what makes using the Android platform the brightest idea of all this endeavor, and what could save their ass from the Phantom effect.

If the user can load up ANY Android app and play without much worry (using the controler's touch pad) then it's viable from the start, and makes it sell. Then devs won't be shy to make some versions "optimized for Ouya" like we've seen with the iPad for example, and then the wheel will be spinning, no problem.

For any HW maker the biggest problem is getting people to make software for it. Now they've found a way to have SW available even before the HW is there, good for them :)

I'm gonna wish them a good luck and hope it works, it's gonna be interesting to watch. Like others said, it's surely built at a loss for 100$, but they should be able to make up for it if they take 30% of all microtransactions (and if they last long enough).

Also, this play-box reminds me of the "pandora box" or whatever it was called, what happened with that idea/concept/project ?

I can't say it often enough, You will loose customers with that high prize. When Pandora was announced for $300 it was, what I was personally able to pay and was ready to pay for it as I liked the idea and everything about it.

With $700 I will never be able to pay that much money for it :(

Yeah, I think the idea of a Pandora box was thrown around for years. pretty much exactly what the Ouya thing is.... looks like they just got there first. Doesn't change anything

I can't say it often enough, You will loose customers with that high prize. When Pandora was announced for $300 it was, what I was personally able to pay and was ready to pay for it as I liked the idea and everything about it.

Do you think maybe you have said it often enough now?

We cannot make it for a lower price and continue as a viable business.

As usual devs will get units for free, or for a substantially discounted rate.

Do you think maybe you have said it often enough now?

We cannot make it for a lower price and continue as a viable business.

As usual devs will get units for free, or for a substantially discounted rate.

Id assume the inner circle of known developers would get their p2 early/free.

Developers should be given refunds based on community involvement. pay $600, release something popular. people donate and they'll get money back?

This would hopefully resolve any issues with chumps stealing them. maybe?

Back