Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Just noticed there is now backer limits on the pledge levels . The $95 level has sold out as has the $225 and $699 levels. There is only 6200 (out of 20,000) of the $99 spots left then it's over people's.

So if you do want one of these, get in now, as this will be sold out in about 12 hours the way things are looking.

Update: In the last 30 minutes 250 of the $99 level have sold. There is now only 5950 of the $99 pledge spots left. That's a rate of 500 an hour ie under 12 hours left before it's sold out

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah right, for a product they already can sponsor by the gentleman involved into it... :(

Not to sound too negative, but what exactly can that offer that anything else is not offering a long time ago?

I mean, the whatever console indie BS they are pushing on is nothing different then a whole lot of china or other people doing similar can already do a long time ago.

In this case, we have to wait for a while to get it, and for what exactly? for android 4.0? You have to be shitting me.

Let you know something, why didn´t anyone come up with a team of new talented game developers instead? that would be new stuff at least.

Everyone knows that any platform can be as good as its developers.

Next round is game devs+consoles kickstarter?

Android boxes are not new, there is a few going around at least and for a while and cheaper.

Well, let the rush of Independence 'free those who have more money that they can value while believing they are doing something´.

Kickstarter decided to really go down these days... :(

The original idea was somehow good.

@erico, please don't hold back, lets hear your real feelings about it :p

I sort of agree with you in part. If you did have a high spec android phone already with hdmi out, then a dock and wireless controller would be a better offering.

But that said, $99 for a quad core Tegra 3 Android console is good value. There have been others around but with no where near those specs for the money.

hehehe and I´m really holding back!

2m dollars invested for 6 months on a ´naive safe´ investment can cough up a lot of extras.

I take the current disguised big companies hitting KS to be ill to its system on a long run.

But don´t take me wrong on it, I´d love to have as many as possible alternatives on main stream consoles.

To devs or wannabe devs like me, it is only good! :rolleyes:

I´d probably buy something like this before I´d ever fork for the main others.

But lets talk about the software, is it going to be what android already offers?

There's an update on the Kickstarter page. Looks like they are now asking for ideas on stretch goals ie things they can do with the extra cash they have raised.

Now only 4900 units left. rate is speeding up. This will be all over very soon.

This does look interesting so I ended up backing, purely because it's so bizarrely cheap, basically £77 including postage... that is utterly ridiculous. There is almost a month left to go so I'm going to be watching this like a hawk, if I smell a rat then I'm backing out with the speed of a thousand weasels. I really can't see how this is going to work, or how they intend on sustaining this product, my guess is that they will sell this initial starter batch at below cost, use the founders to iron out the bugs then market the final product at a much greater price. I don't think they will be attempting to make costs up with subscriptions etc because they are saying that it is an open console and they are inviting devs to do whatever they want with it, so presumably it could just be flashed with a custom rom and you could circumvent their software entirely.

edit: oooh I just 'merged' with Garrett, I feel so cheap and slutty

My guess is that $99 represents cost. By the time it comes out (March next year) with the numbers they have sold, there may even be some profit for each one as component prices should have come down by then.

Well, they certainly talk a good game :

We are designing the controller to be a love letter to console gaming. It will have everything you've learned to love: fast buttons, triggers, laser-precise analog sticks, a D-Pad – and it will have a touchpad for any games making the trek from mobile or tablet to the TV. It'll be just the right weight. We are working with select developers to play-test the controller through development. We call it 'the Stradivarius of controllers,' and we hope developers will be inspired to take gameplay to a new level with it.

They'll get a lot of complaints if the controller turns out to be low quality.

$2.5 Million pledged & rising :blink:

Only 2950 more consoles before they sell out

I estimate you have about 5-6 hours from this post to get one before it's too late.

^

They'll just bump the numbers up when they sell out of certain categories, or add other reward levels. The $99 wasn't there when it started and they'll just add 10K more units as necessary, the illusion of there only be a limited number remaining gets people to open their wallets rather than waiting to see what happens.

Interesting blog that didn't touch on the hardware costs really:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/IanFisch/20120711/173901/OUYA_the_Android_console__naivete_at_work.php

^

They'll just bump the numbers up when they sell out of certain categories, or add other reward levels. The $99 wasn't there when it started and they'll just add 10K more units as necessary, the illusion of there only be a limited number remaining gets people to open their wallets rather than waiting to see what happens.

Interesting blog that didn't touch on the hardware costs really:

http://gamasutra.com...ete_at_work.php

50/50. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. I actually got the feeling with this one that they put the pledge caps on after it started going crazy early today. They are already asking funders what they should do with the extra cash, there's a poll on it.

I "voted" for expanding / improving retro console emulation on android

A virtual market like nintendo and gamegadget for retro console roms, at the level of android it could be sucessful unlike limited distrobution like the game gadget has.

Im sure my vote will be the minority and streaming games like onlive etc is what people will be asking for (although its already possible) mainstream game developers on android wont hurt the platform either.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like they have expanded the $99 pledge limit to 80,000 spots. So no fear of it running out anytime soon anymore. As per my previous post they plan to use the excess cash on popular ideas pledgers come up with via a poll, will be interesting to see what they decide to with it.

I think the most funded project ever on Kickstarter (in any category) was the Pebble watch which raised $10,267,000 , it will be interesting to see if the Ouya surpasses that.

You know, I actually decided to cancel my pledge, the more I read about this the more it starts to sound a little wacky. The guys behind it don't really seem to know exactly what they want out of it, it's more like a big bowl full of cool ideas. I'll watch it and see if anything interesting materialises, but I don't like the way it's going right now.

Looks like they have expanded the $99 pledge limit to 80,000 spots. So no fear of it running out anytime soon anymore.
That is not the direction I would have gone. They're marketing team needs a head slap. Realizing they were selling like hotcakes, I would have made a new pledge level at $120, called the $99 ones "day one special editions" or something.

I am absolutely not going to pledge to this. The idea is interesting but I don't have a particularly strong faith in them being able to pull it off. Ok, maybe with the money they're raising now they will be able to, maybe, or at least pull something off. We'll see.

For what this is, I'm thinking I'd be willing to pay upwards of several hundred dollars to support it, same as I did with the Pandora (and likely will with the P2) so iff they manage to pull this off and start selling them retail, I will have no problem with any markup they will inevitably have to do and won't be disappointed that I didn't get in when they were cheap. Buying into the kickstarter is a $100 risk I'm not willing to take.

I think you will be seeing some articles very soon which are not afraid to question this device, costs and viability.

Even if they make $10mil there still won't be any profit so unless they literally pay themselves $1mil each and shut down, they are working for very little aside from headaches.

My guess would be they will be making you pay a subscription to actually use it.

Back