Origami Golf

Imerion said:
I tried to test the Nov 3rd Build, but it locks up when I try to select the first level. Maybe I missed some info? I use the Wiz-version if that is of help.

Hey Imerion, sorry about that, don't wanna leave out Wiz users. I just uploaded a new build that should fix the Wiz problem. In addition, the controls feel even better! Kurts doing a fantastic job ironing all this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Imerion, sorry about that, don't wanna leave out Wiz users. I just uploaded a new build that should fix the Wiz problem. In addition, the controls feel even better! Kurts doing a fantastic job ironing all this out.

Nice! Sorry for taking so long time to get back to you, but I have had much to do lately and simply forgot to check this forum. I just tried the new build and it works great! Very impressive stuff; the graphics are smooth and work well and the ball physics is great! And being able to control the camera at all times is a nice touch! It's hard to judge how far the ball will go when striking though and the club animation looks a bit odd, but I guess that is simply because its such an early version. An idea would be to add some kind of arrow that gets longer the further back the club goes, to show in more detail how much force is used.

Hey Imerion, thanks very much coming back with your thoughts. Very helpful!
I agree that its difficult to judge the strength of the hit. Once the club animation/rotation oddness is worked out (it needs to swing back in a proper arc) and the whole hitting process is smoothed out, Ill be interested to hear what yall think and if more visual feedback is needed.

Sorry for the quietness ... working daily!
Here's an example of what's coming:
level0.jpg

Can you spot the secret hole that takes you to places unknown?

And, I've also been working lotso on the next hole! It features a train, and more color :lol:
trainhole.jpg

traylorpark said:
Sorry for the quietness ... working daily!
Here's an example of what's coming:
level0.jpg

Can you spot the secret hole that takes you to places unknown?

And, I've also been working lotso on the next hole! It features a train, and more color :lol:
trainhole.jpg

I've just played the Nov 3 build and it seems you've made a lot of improvements! It all feels a lot sharper and neater now, though if I had one complaint it's that the putter still doesn't seem to really connect with the ball; rather it swings, then the ball goes. Small thing, but an important one I think.

Also, I'd really love to see you go a bit farther with the Origami feel - with all of the possible textures and patterns and beautiful pastel colours and whatnot it seems a pity to have so much teal/grey scenery! On that note, your train level is looking lovely ;)

Keep it up guys!

Thanks for the compliments guys! Coming from community members who I really respect, it means a lot!

AJack said:
I've just played the Nov 3 build and it seems you've made a lot of improvements! It all feels a lot sharper and neater now, though if I had one complaint it's that the putter still doesn't seem to really connect with the ball; rather it swings, then the ball goes. Small thing, but an important one I think.

Also, I'd really love to see you go a bit farther with the Origami feel - with all of the possible textures and patterns and beautiful pastel colours and whatnot it seems a pity to have so much teal/grey scenery! On that note, your train level is looking lovely ;)

Keep it up guys!

Ajack, the crits are very useful thanks. I agree that there are some issues still with the actual hitting of the ball. Ive recently learned just how difficult it is to make a club hit a ball in a convincing and enjoyable way. Ahhh, game design :D

Certinaly, the rotation of the club, speed, strange animation and camera `pop` while swinging and hitting need to get ironed out.

About your thoughts on the drab colors ... yup :lol: Ill tell you, initially the drab color was a design choice to make the targets `popping open` more rewarding. But the reward was not worth the sacrifice and the overall enjoyment of the level was compromised. Ive taken a couple steps to try and allieviate the drab colors (youll see in our next builds) but eventually I decided to take what I learned on this level, and move onto the next one.

One thing I learned is ... colors are nice.

Anways, thanks for checking the game out!

traylorpark said:
Ajack, the crits are very useful thanks. I agree that there are some issues still with the actual hitting of the ball. Ive recently learned just how difficult it is to make a club hit a ball in a convincing and enjoyable way. Ahhh, game design :D

Certinaly, the rotation of the club, speed, strange animation and camera `pop` while swinging and hitting need to get ironed out.

About your thoughts on the drab colors ... yup :lol: Ill tell you, initially the drab color was a design choice to make the targets `popping open` more rewarding. But the reward was not worth the sacrifice and the overall enjoyment of the level was compromised. Ive taken a couple steps to try and allieviate the drab colors (youll see in our next builds) but eventually I decided to take what I learned on this level, and move onto the next one.

One thing I learned is ... colors are nice.

Anways, thanks for checking the game out!

It's a pleasure to be part of the creative process! The other suggestion I forgot to make earlier was that a power bar during the swing animation would also be a great help, as the motion of the club doesn't give a very accurate impression of how hard you're swinging.

As for the art, I'm glad you're going with a more colourful approach as the project moves forward. When I see images like this:

origami.jpg

...it really drives home what a beautiful and unique style this game could have :)

Looks very nice. Continue; 3D games for the Caanoo are always welcome to be added to the diverse library.

AJack said:
As for the art, I'm glad you're going with a more colourful approach as the project moves forward. When I see images like this:

origami.jpg

...it really drives home what a beautiful and unique style this game could have :)

Heh heh, that image gives me some ideas!

SolarLune said:
Looks very nice. Continue; 3D games for the Caanoo are always welcome to be added to the diverse library.

Thats nice of you to say, thank you! I would certainly love to see more 3D homebrew for the Caanoo ... actually, Id love to see more homebrew for the Caanoo regardless (at least more people talking about it).

In other words, MORE DEVLOGS PLZ! :angry:

Just wanna let ya'll know that we are still here! Kurt has been super busy recently, and I've been constantly working away at the next level.
I'm starting to scare myself a little bit, with the amount of detail and work that's going into this one. Should make for a much more interesting (visually) level.

Actually, visually, this is probably one of the most involved levels I have planned.

Here's a look at some in progress work.

train_inprog3.png

train_inprog2.png

until next time!

This is really a very beautiful looking game. I can't wait until you guys finish it .. I will buy it for sure! :)

Hey thanks!
It sure is ... I traveled home over the holidays and just came back. Kurt has been wrapped up in a number of things.
We've been chatting a lot about the project though and we're on the cusp of new updates and stuffs!

would you know it ... I spent the last week dying from some flu that apparently originated from swine. Yeah, I didn't do much work then.
Finally my head has cleared up.

Back