Open2x Dr6 For F100 And F200

I had a similar problem with the DR4 to what Alghazanth is having.
>http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45518&st=60

It got stuck right in the beginning at the "Loading userspace..." and stayed there forever, the orange installer screens never even appeared so no flashing took place. I must have tried at least 10 times going from GPH to Open2X, failing and going back to GPH again, trying another SD-card and other possible solution before I tried to re-download the package. (or if I remember things right, I actually COULD NOT re-download it for a couple of days due to the server being down)
Once I got that downloaded again, I compared the filesize and the new one was bigger. Then as I copied the contents over to the SD-card all worked without any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Nice to hear that PAL tvout works.. Does the image look too cut off or about right? On my NTSC TV I get about 8 missing pixels at most on all sides. Can you center the image OK, adjusting offsets and can you scale the image bigger or smaller?"

hi

image seems to be okay but i can't do anymore testing as i had to revert to stock firmware since i need to use pykaraoke in class tomorrow :)

will try more extensive testing w/e

thanks again for all your work

Senor Quack said:
"[/quote]Nice to hear that PAL tvout works.. Does the image look too cut off or about right? On my NTSC TV I get about 8 missing pixels at most on all sides. Can you center the image OK, adjusting offsets and can you scale the image bigger or smaller?"
well...
1)Pal works, nice view but it can shift a bit left.couse of a blank part of the laft part in videoplayer(mplayer)
resim4b.jpg

abcd0003.th.jpg

2)With open2x's videoplayer(mplayer) don't show the second line of the subtitle. Just top of the 2nd line shows.
resim3.jpg

I think not the subtitles but the whole bottom area don't show. Just like standart gmenu2x tvout problem.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7218/abcd0004m.jpg

3)why mp2x(mplayer 4.1) don't work. I need it becouse of Turkish subtitle language support. Default one is not supporting. When i try to start mp2x, it just shows "launching mp2x" and freez.

Gpsp2x tvout (on pal) works fine.
mame4all(v1.5) dont work,you can choose the game but can't see the loading roms. Game starts but just see the rainbows on the screen.
Mamegp2x(previous vers. of mame) : can see the loading roms but end:) Cant see the games. Games actually starts in both mame, i know from the sounds but no screen.

Hmm, might have to do some more thorough testing tonight to see if I can get my PAL output working. There's a second TV I can try it on, and perhaps some different cables/connectors as well.

'Burbruee' said:
I had a similar problem with the DR4 to what Alghazanth is having.
>http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45518&st=60

It got stuck right in the beginning at the "Loading userspace..." and stayed there forever, the orange installer screens never even appeared so no flashing took place. I must have tried at least 10 times going from GPH to Open2X, failing and going back to GPH again, trying another SD-card and other possible solution before I tried to re-download the package. (or if I remember things right, I actually COULD NOT re-download it for a couple of days due to the server being down)
Once I got that downloaded again, I compared the filesize and the new one was bigger. Then as I copied the contents over to the SD-card all worked without any issues.
I have re-downloaded the package using download manager and tried again , but still stuck on the mount root fs. I'm yet to try another card , but in the worst case I will have to re install the gph firmware I guess (and hope that I won't really brick it forever with that) :eek:

Well, at this point I think that DR6 don't work with newer F200 B units shipped with 4.0.2 firmware that have new LCD screen.
I tryed to download several times the firmware for F200, I installed latest version of 7z program.
Tested with 3 kind of sds and 3 kind of card reader.
Always the same result: after fw upgrading the screen became black and purple:
[attachmentid=371]

Always I turned to gph firmware all works perfect!

Any suggestions?

Ok good news!

Now works!

At the black & pourple screen i pressed buttons and I waited almost 15 min after this I rebooted my console while pressed Select and start and now works.

Is this problem caused by newest LCDs?

Fcalc application don't works.
No music in duke3d. Timidity problems?.
Gnuboy has crappy sound.
Mp2x don't read OGM files.

Just to add my thanks and good confirmation: works well with my F200 (other than a pixel wide white line on the left). I can include a serial or build number if anyone cares.

^ Try playing with the LCD timing utility. It's really simple to use (a pleasure to use actually) and could well solve your display problem.

Hi,

No luck with a cheap and crappy Dane-Elec 2GB SD card here :(

Freshly FAT 32 formatted with:

CODE
samuel@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkfs.msdos -v -F 32 -n GP2X /dev/mmcblk0p1

I also tried to format it with gparted...

I tried with both my laptop and GP2X built-in card readers...

My GP2X is an F200 B with FW 4.0

I boot the console with select + home but it doesn't go past the initial white GP2X screen...

Bye, Magic Sam

Update on PAL output: All is ok. I tried it on a second TV, seems it was only a problem on the first TV I tested (an old, old thing using a VCR as an RF modulator :p).

Hi guys,

I give a first try on my GP2X F100 mkII unit with open2x DR6, I'm really impressed by the global feeling, congratulations !

I've just quickly tested few features and these are my results :

- USB gamepad control is great. :D
- the new picture viewer is good (fast and reactive). :lol:
- TV out is working (both NTSC and PAL), but offset setting and gamma does not works(to be confirmed).
- Soft reboot is really cool. B)
- picodrive tv out with 2 gamepad works :D
- I had a black screen when launching PocketSnes with TV out, and need to do a hard reboot.
- Wind and Water works fine.

And then no more battery...so I need to get an AC adapter to continue tests, battery sucks when using both tv-out and usb gamepads.

Well , I finally managed to go back to Gph firmware. I was disappointed to not being able to use the Open2x , which I was very excited for ; but happy to get my good old pal :gp2x working and it's in my backpack again :) Thanks everyone for the help ;)

Conferm that mame don't is dispalyed on tv out.

And with mp2x video is cut in the bottom part in pal mode and with ntsc mode Is not centered.

"file manager" tvout just like videoplayer tvout(with pal tv). When you open the file manager, bottom part of the screen not show and the whole screen go up a little. so when you open the player controls in videoplayer, upper half of the control screen not shown just like the file manager.

'Magic Sam' said:
Hi,

No luck with a cheap and crappy Dane-Elec 2GB SD card here :(

Freshly FAT 32 formatted with:

CODE
samuel@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkfs.msdos -v -F 32 -n GP2X /dev/mmcblk0p1

I also tried to format it with gparted...

I tried with both my laptop and GP2X built-in card readers...

My GP2X is an F200 B with FW 4.0

I boot the console with select + home but it doesn't go past the initial white GP2X screen...

Bye, Magic Sam
Try another card.. Also: mkfs.vfat is what I use. It probably just is a wrapper to mkfs.msdos but who knows. I have an F200 B and it will read my 2GB generic SD card I got as a promotion when booted. But it will not whatsoever recognize that same card when I try to update the firmware off it. My F100 will flash off that card just fine. But the second I use my Transcend 2GB and 4GB cards they work fine.

'JeanLouSchmidt' said:
- picodrive tv out with 2 gamepad works :D
- I had a black screen when launching PocketSnes with TV out, and need to do a hard reboot.
- Wind and Water works fine.
I had PocketSnes working great with TV out but then I made some changes to fix some other things, didn't go back and test PocketSnes and last night I found the same problem.. It is a problem with the VSCL register (PocketSnes seems to do strange things to the scaler registers). I'll fix it this weekend hopefully.

The TvOut tweaker took an lot of work, I had to really finesse all the tweaks it makes over the course of a week working all day long it is so hard to get a good balance between all the crazy things programs and libraries do with the scaler registers.

'BackAssward' said:
Just to add my thanks and good confirmation: works well with my F200 (other than a pixel wide white line on the left). I can include a serial or build number if anyone cares.
Yes, Gruso is right it is a timings problem. I set the timings lower (-4) than the F100 units to make the scanlines better. When you do that, you notice a faint line on the left. You can get rid of that line by increasing the timing (keep it on UPLL though). You will start to see worse scanlines, however.

'CoMiKe' said:
A simple suggestion:

Put the CRC of the files along the download link, so anyone can check them before flashing the GP2X.
OK, I'll try to remember to put an md5sum or something

'paradroid' said:
Fcalc application don''t works.
No music in duke3d. Timidity problems?.
Gnuboy has crappy sound.
Mp2x don't read OGM files.
I didn't compile OGG support into Mp2x and had no idea anyone actually used it. In fact, I did an hour of research into this and found that using OGG audio in an AVI is rare and quite unsupported. Are you using it to play audio files?!?

As for Duke3d, I know music works as I was playing it with music last night. Check your installation. Timidity is something you put on your SD card, it has nothing to do with Open2X.

I never noticed a problem with sound Gnuboy, in fact i used it to test Tvout (and found you have to disable the tv tweaker for it, it has fine tvout on its own). I'll look into it.

Fcalc doesn't work?? That's strange I'll also look into it.

'maktama' said:
Senor Quack said:
"
Nice to hear that PAL tvout works.. Does the image look too cut off or about right? On my NTSC TV I get about 8 missing pixels at most on all sides. Can you center the image OK, adjusting offsets and can you scale the image bigger or smaller?"QUOTE
well...
1)Pal works, nice view but it can shift a bit left.couse of a blank part of the laft part in videoplayer(mplayer)
resim4b.jpg

abcd0003.th.jpg

2)With open2x's videoplayer(mplayer) don't show the second line of the subtitle. Just top of the 2nd line shows.
resim3.jpg

I think not the subtitles but the whole bottom area don't show. Just like standart gmenu2x tvout problem.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7218/abcd0004m.jpg

3)why mp2x(mplayer 4.1) don't work. I need it becouse of Turkish subtitle language support. Default one is not supporting. When i try to start mp2x, it just shows "launching mp2x" and freez.

Gpsp2x tvout (on pal) works fine.
mame4all(v1.5) dont work,you can choose the game but can't see the loading roms. Game starts but just see the rainbows on the screen.
Mamegp2x(previous vers. of mame) : can see the loading roms but end:) Cant see the games. Games actually starts in both mame, i know from the sounds but no screen.

OK, can you find a (hopefully short) Turkish movie with a subtitles file that doesn't work, host it on mediafire.com and post the link here or PM me with it? I need an example of this so I can fix Open2X's video player? I can't download big files (I have no internet at home) so try to find an example 50MB or less please. I did compile subtitles support in, I have no idea why it doesn't work.

As for why Mame doesn't work with TVout: The version I have (4.9 I think) uses an ANCIENT version of Rlyeh's Minlib. Because of this, it doesn't use the scaler registers properly. I will download the latest gp2x mame and see if I notice this same problem and tell Franxis if it does. Make absolutely sure you are using the latest version of Mame first, though. The problem specifically is probably that it incorrectly sets the VSCL register to a ridiculously low value.

I can post an updated version of the Mame 4.9 binary in the meantime.

'paradroid' said:
Ok good news!

Now works!

At the black & pourple screen i pressed buttons and I waited almost 15 min after this I rebooted my console while pressed Select and start and now works.

Is this problem caused by newest LCDs?
Perhaps it is. One of the problems is that it's very difficult to get definitive information on stuff like this. GPH just randomly changes crap and doesn't really make it easy to keep track of anything. (Fools)

I think I know what we need to do, lemme see if I can fix this for others.

'peelie' said:
thanks for this!!
some quick testing: (tvout tested on PAL F100 model)

not working
pykaraoke
cave story

I tested Cave Story (not the first time I tested it with Open2X tvout) and it does work, at least in NTSC mode. In fact I got a lot farther in the story playing on my USB game pad.. Try a fresh installation maybe?

Sorry Senor Quack my Duke2x now has music (i loose timidity.cfg)
I usally convert my video for gp2x on Ogm format (video divx - audio ogg).

Other games work perfect with tv-out
But I'm sure that Mame don't work on tv-out.

Mp2x has proplems with tv on Pal it cut a bottom screen on Ntsc the video is a bit shifted.

SenorQuack, i sended i pm to you.

Scumvm tv out works but cutoff bottom part, and fflickering every 1 -2 second , i think try to fit the screen but not accomplish.

mame4all v1.6(last vers) tvout not work
mamegp2x v5.1 (last vers) tvout not work

'paradroid' said:
Sorry Senor Quack my Duke2x now has music (i loose timidity.cfg)
I usally convert my video for gp2x on Ogm format (video divx - audio ogg).

Other games work perfect with tv-out
But I'm sure that Mame don't work on tv-out.

Mp2x has proplems with tv on Pal it cut a bottom screen on Ntsc the video is a bit shifted.
@senquack: I have a few files that I encoded into OGM containers too... I don't tend to use my 2X as a media player, however. Just to make you aware that OGM is a little more common than you think!

Back