Open2x Dr4

Squirrel61 said:
But that also means that if you swap cards, the links will still be there but since they're referring to files on the card, they will be dead.
I thought GMenu2x automatically hides dead links?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I swap SD, links on gmenu2x (the open2x one) will be hidden or deleted, or present but dead ?
- If links are hidden, you can create links for applications from many SD, then links appears depending of the SD card inserted. That's fine.
- If links are present but dead, your sections will be full of unusable items... ugly !
- If gmenu2x deletes dead links....you have to recreate all links each time you swap SD, that's sucks !

May be there is a improvement to do here, imagine if at boot time open2x checks on SD if there is a config for gmenu2x entries, so we can have different config (sections, themes, background...) depending of the SD card.

It's just a idea throw in the place....what do you thinks ?

Adding a way for Open2X's GMenu2X to store link information directly on the SDs has been on the drawing board. Also on the board is better support in Gmenu2X for detecting swapped SDs.

Already fixed is a bug regarding improper display of free space/used space for SDs over 4GB.

It might take a while to implement if noone else is interested, I have some car work that is keeping me busy this weekend.

Are there any known problems with running applications that use the second 920 core?
Ive tried adding the fmopl code to run on the second core for wolf4sdl. Im running open2x and I dont hear anything, had it tested on FW 4.1.1 and something does come out.

Pickle said:
Are there any known problems with running applications that use the second 920 core?
Ive tried adding the fmopl code to run on the second core for wolf4sdl. Im running open2x and I dont hear anything, had it tested on FW 4.1.1 and something does come out.
First, make sure you don't have volume muting enabled. Hit 'X' in GMenu2X to cycle through the volume modes and make sure the icon is the speaker one in the bottom right.

Also, I've run Picodrive just fine and that uses the second core. Are you linking statically or dynamically?

Senor Quack said:
Pickle said:
First, make sure you don't have volume muting enabled. Hit 'X' in GMenu2X to cycle through the volume modes and make sure the icon is the speaker one in the bottom right.

Also, I've run Picodrive just fine and that uses the second core. Are you linking statically or dynamically?

I do hear the none fmopl sound, I would think your suggestion on the volume would be for all sound?
The SDL libs are linked statically

Update: Problem was found, not related to open2x

Just recently finished up support in Open2X's GMenu2X for SD insertion/removal, storage of links on SDs in a special folder /mnt/sd/.open2x_gmenu2x, and auto-importation of old GMenu2X links into this new folder when found on an SD.

Fixed the bug where Gmenu2X was launched twice (an autorun issue). Running autorun.gpu off the SD is now a configurable option (default is off), and a lot of the aforementioned GMenu2X-links-on-SD stuff is mostly configurable via options, too.

So, now the two big things left to do before a 1.0 release are 1.) Touchscreen calibration utility and 2.) LCD timings calibration utility (this is half done now)

peelie said:
pyKaraoke does not run using open2x :(
Will look into this, thank you.

that sounds great senor quack. I liked the dr4 I tried but went back to 4.0 cause it wasn't meant for f200 in first place and having to do my gmenu links over again. I liked that it was a very painless process going to and from open2x.

good that autorun is now an option that is default off. before it was always on.

looking forward to 1.0 which I will definitely keep as my firmware. Boot times are great.

question: are skins and wallpapers supported for gmenu2x yet? like being able to use skins/themes and wallpaper from sd card kind of like how you added bringing in links from sd. maybe I missed something but there didn't seem any normal way to do that in dr4.

Senor Quack said:
Just recently finished up support in Open2X's GMenu2X for SD insertion/removal, storage of links on SDs in a special folder /mnt/sd/.open2x_gmenu2x, and auto-importation of old GMenu2X links into this new folder when found on an SD.

Fixed the bug where Gmenu2X was launched twice (an autorun issue). Running autorun.gpu off the SD is now a configurable option (default is off), and a lot of the aforementioned GMenu2X-links-on-SD stuff is mostly configurable via options, too.

So, now the two big things left to do before a 1.0 release are 1.) Touchscreen calibration utility and 2.) LCD timings calibration utility (this is half done now)

peelie said:
pyKaraoke does not run using open2x :(
Will look into this, thank you.

oh goody can't wait for next release :)

yeah for the open2X people :)

Hi guys, I installed open2x. I also notice the problem of having a gmenu2x on sd card described before. I must say I like this firmware, it boots faster and it supports HCSD, but i want to know where the links created by this open2x version are saved and also, how can I add a custom wallpaper?, Is read ahead disabled?. I tried payback full and so far it works flawlessly I'll be trying some other apps, thank you to the people involved in this proyect :).

shinra said:
Hi guys, I installed open2x. I also notice the problem of having a gmenu2x on sd card described before. I must say I like this firmware, it boots faster and it supports HCSD, but i want to know where the links created by this open2x version are saved and also, how can I add a custom wallpaper?, Is read ahead disabled?. I tried payback full and so far it works flawlessly I'll be trying some other apps, thank you to the people involved in this proyect :).
This is a pretty old version that was released. The newer version that will be released later does store links on SD and it is in /mnt/sd/.open2x_gmenu2x/

Skins are being worked on.

Noone messed with readahead (I have no idea why someone would)
edit oops it appears it has indeed been disabled in Open2X and apparently this offers a speed benefit I didnt't know about.

Senor Quack said:
This is a pretty old version that was released. The newer version that will be released later does store links on SD and it is in /mnt/sd/.open2x_gmenu2x/

Skins are being worked on.

Noone messed with readahead (I have no idea why someone would)
edit oops it appears it has indeed been disabled in Open2X and apparently this offers a speed benefit I didnt't know about.
Ok, thanks I'll be waiting for the new version, It's good to know that this project still lives :)

EDIT:
I tried wind and water full, the game runs but the colors are all messed up like they where inverted.
bunker master also has graphic problems (screen margin I think)
mutant tank knights runs too fast
open bor just goes back to gmenu
and volume is low on some apps.

Just wanted to throw in my complete and utter joy at this!
My GP2x stopped reading SD cards completly, and reflashing the lil' beastie with this has it up and running again :D

Edit:======> Also, don't know if anyone else has notticed this, but I think the power drain on the boot is less than normal firmware (or 3.0 at the very least).
I've got one 2000 Mah battery out of my brand new set that it wouldn't even attemtp to boot up on normally, but started up no problem when I put it in on a whim! This is all spurious cotton brained thinking, but I thought someone might be interested.

shinra said:
Ok, thanks I'll be waiting for the new version, It's good to know that this project still lives :)

EDIT:
I tried wind and water full, the game runs but the colors are all messed up like they where inverted.
bunker master also has graphic problems (screen margin I think)
mutant tank knights runs too fast
open bor just goes back to gmenu
and volume is low on some apps.
Thanks for the reports, I'll look into all of these. Very good chance some of these are already fixed by a SDL_Delay() bugfix we made. The low volume has already been fixed. To compensate, you can adjust the normal scaler level to be above 125 instead of 100 for now in Open2X settings section in GMenu2X. I think Orkie knew of the Wind and Water problem and it's already gone IIRC with our new SDL 1.2.11.

Development news update:

Been coding like crazy trying to tie up all the loose ends and have completed some cool stuff (cool stuff first):

1.) Stick-click emulation for F200s: You can choose between disabled, VolUp+VolDown, and Up+Down+Left+Right. This works for any and all applications because it works at an extremely low level. (I.e. it will work even if the program uses minlib and hits the registers directly because I reconfigured the GPIO line :) )

2.) Users can completely reconfigure the controls for any and all SDL apps ever created for the GP2X. If you select "Edit link" and look at the options, there will be new entries to reconfigure every last GP2X button to be a different button if you like. This is possible because SDL always read inputs from /dev/GPIO and I have modified that module to allow this remapping through a new ioctl interface.

3.) I have proven it should be possible to control the GP2X from any device compatible with Linux's joystick input layer (i.e. a gamepad). This is probably not going to be completed until the second major release of Open2X but it is a cool discovery anyways. It's possible by reconfiguring GPIO lines like we did for stick-click emulation and altering them within the scheduler loop.

3.) LCD Timings configuration utility that shows a nice calibration image. Settings you save here are applied from then on every time you boot your gp2x.

4.) Touchscreen calibration utility for F200 users.

Back