Gmenu2x

Ok I have tested it.

Black screen: those getting it just have to wait. I get a black screen too but eventually it does come up. It seems to take an unusually long time to load. On the GP2X it was almost instant, on the Wiz it is very slooooooow. It seems to take 15 seconds or more to come up.

Everything I tried to load works but as soon as I exit the app it just loads the original default menu instead of re-loading Gmenu. This means I am loading Gmenu2X just to load one app. In this case it is not very useful, hopefully it is not some GPH weirdness that keeps Gmenu from re-loading after exiting an app.

DaveC posted on May 31 2009 at 08:46 AM said:
Everything I tried to load works but as soon as I exit the app it just loads the original default menu instead of re-loading Gmenu. This means I am loading Gmenu2X just to load one app. In this case it is not very useful, hopefully it is not some GPH weirdness that keeps Gmenu from re-loading after exiting an app.
That happens to me with the GP2X version. The wrapping just refuses to work. But the default links (like the Games launcher or Photo menus) do return to gmenu2x...

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on May 31 2009 at 08:46 AM said:
Apps are forced to manually run gp2xmenu after they quit. This is because gp2xmenu doesn't actually launch applications correctly (ie fork, exec, merge sort of process), instead it just execs them, or basically turns into them. The way to get around it would be to replace gp2xmenu outright with gmenu2x (naming it gp2xmenu), of course keeping the old one backed up.

You would have thought GPH would have learned from and not repeated some mistakes like this...

Language settings are not working correctly, they are reverted to English every time you boot the program.

ps: If i want to update a translation, should I send it to ryo or pickle?

Xabier posted on May 31 2009 at 04:40 PM said:
Language settings are not working correctly, they are reverted to English every time you boot the program.

ps: If i want to update a translation, should I send it to ryo or pickle?
Edit: Send it to both I suppose. For sure Ryo so it gets into the svn.

I just noticed my beta version was uploaded to the wiz archive server. It wasnt really my intention to upload it there until more of the bugs were fixed. <_<

, of course keeping the old one backed up.
Hi,

I'm too afraid of bricking my wiz when messing with the firmware. Has anyone tried that yet? Please report. I' d really love to replace the original menu by GMenu2X wich I really like. I already do because pressing Right-Down-B-Up-B is often still faster than navigating in that crappy menu. It starts up instantly the black screen only appears on the first start, I can live with that.

Maybe devs should restart gp2xmenu in a shell script rather in the compiled bin because then people can just replace ist by gmenu2x and it works fine (eg Quake, ScummVM, Dosbox games, SOD).

, instead it just execs them, or basically turns into them. The way to get around it would be to replace gp2xmenu outright with gmenu2x (naming it gp2xmenu"], of course keeping the old one backed up.
Hi,[/quote]I'm too afraid of bricking my wiz when messing with the firmware. Has anyone tried that yet? Please report. I' d really love to replace the original menu by GMenu2X wich I really like. I already do because pressing Right-Down-B-Up-B is often still faster than navigating in that crappy menu. It starts up instantly the black screen only appears on the first start, I can live with that.

Maybe devs should restart gp2xmenu in a shell script rather in the compiled bin because then people can just replace ist by gmenu2x and it works fine (eg Quake, ScummVM, Dosbox games, SOD).

Gmenu is not a firmware install. It is just run like any other app.

Right now though it is only good for running one game, as soon as you exit the app it just returns to the default menu.

Gmenu is not a firmware install. It is just run like any other app.

Right now though it is only good for running one game, as soon as you exit the app it just returns to the default menu.
I know it's an app, I was referring to Exophase's workaround: replacing the original menu by GMenu2x completely.
There are some games wich can return to GMenu2x as I wrote above.

Well I guess I'll just be patient and wait for the wrapper to be fixed (if in can be fixed).

I think the correct fix should come from gph to have the gp2xmenu look for a gpu script before continuing.
I really dont want to go down the path of hacking around gp2xmenu.

The better temporary alternative is to modify the gp2xmenu call in the wrapper script if the game has one. Ive usually not included any reloading of the menu's in the program, but only in a script. And sometimes not the script as liked to use the wrapper option i gmenu2x.

I will put up both new beta version's of gmenu2x version's tonight. I couldn't tell any difference between the open2x and the vanilla version, but maybe i missed something.

Update:
Updated binaries are at: pickle.gp2x.de/gmenu2x_2.zip
There are 2 binaries, pick the one you want to try. To me they were the same. Maybe the open2x has more bug fixes I just havnt noticed.
If you have already gmenu2x, just copy over your old binary with the new one
If you dont have gmen2x download the original upload pickle.gp2x.de/gmenu2x.zip and then copy one of the new binaries onto it.

Hi XD
Mr.P
This is great.
But I want to see a finish version.
When you make it?

(I'm not good at English)

Hi XD
Mr.P
This is great.
But I want to see a finish version.
When you make it?
(I'm not good at English)

Aside from the major menu reloading problem (which I dont think is a gmenu2x problem) the latest versions I put up are pretty complete.
The only other features I might add (when i can) are battery and clock control.
In short it's done when its done, (or when someone else does it :rolleyes: ) I do need to get a patch back to Ryo though.

Do you have any idea why it loads so slow? On the Gp2X it is pretty fast, on the Wiz it sits on a black screen for almost 10 seconds before it comes up. I guess it is moot because it doesn't reload so isn't much use right now but I was just wondering.

I can just guess, but if you start gmenu2x via Autorun, it gets loaded by the gp2xmenu.
gp2xmenu takes way longer to load on the WIZ than on the F100 / F200.

That might be the reason. It could also be that SD reading speed is slower on the WIZ (unoptimized driver maybe?).
Remember, we're on FW 1.0.1 on the WIZ right now... thinking back of the horrible FW 1.0.0 on the gp2x :D

Correct. Not to mention the poor SD compatibility of the boot loader so updating the firmware with many cards was impossible...

hello,

Gmenu2x work (not fine but work ;) ) but I can't use the autorun, don't work, I have try on sd, nand ... nothing.

I can't use my wiz without gmenu2x I'm real fan of this software !

It runs for me but only if I put in root of SD Card. Can't get it to run from nand. Also I am having issues lauching picrodrive with argument to rom. Anybody else get this to work?

Are you talking about the autorun? If you want to boot from nand, you have to edit the autorun.gpu file.
Change
cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
to
cd /mnt/nand/gmenu2x

I'd really like to a see a final release of this, too.
The only major problem I'm experiencing is that some apps run slower after launching them from gmenu2x.

Back