Open2x Dr6 For F100 And F200

'PokeParadox' said:
'Hooka' said:
Oi! You are awesome man, can't wait to try this out, unfortunately I think I'll have to drop one of my GP2X's back to official firmware just for W&W...
I still find this strange, Wind & Water has always worked for me on Open2X... hmmm

Well, it is after all a combination of my gp2x, my W&W, Open2x and me. I will have no trouble believing that the error stems from somewhere else, for instance me :) If so, I will rephrase thus:

I'm doing something horribly wrong, and I can't get my W&W fix. Help! Help! Save me! Anybody got any ideas of what goes wrong?

:lol:

'Hooka' said:
I can confirm that Wind and Water is working just fine for me... Evil Dragon, I think they did an update to Wind and Water to fix that problem, make sure you're using the most recent version and/or have it updated...
Ah! I might be behind on W&W versions. Will check pronto.

Apart from that, I have enjoyed the Kill-current-app-key combo. Excellent! And the unmount-SD-card is even better. And I will have to solder a Exp-to-USB-cable, to be able to play some of the more dexterious games (good word, innit?) with...slightly more responsive directional control :) All in all an entirely pleasant experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
*downloads fresh WoW*

*Drops on totally empty SD card*

*starts up with expectant smile on face*

Nope...still weird :(

But since it is working for other people, there must be something that is wrong on my unit. But with a fresh Open2x, a fresh WoW and a completely empty SD-card...Where is the error?!? :blink: :blink: :huh: :huh: :huh:

When it says "formatting NAND", what happens then? Is there somewhere where config files might survive?

*confused*

:(

I have downloaded and extracted the contents to the root of my sd card , powered on while pushing start-select , the firmware update screen came , but is stuck at 'mount root fs' , and I have been waiting for about 30 minutes :( I'm sure I downloaded the right version and I'm using the power adaptor. I'm afraid of doing sth wrong and bricking my gp2x

What should I do ? Help please :( :(

'Orkie' said:
As I said, select Mk1 mode when you first run W&W...
Ah, I missed that. Will retry.

Im happy to report better results than Alghazanth (hope you can fix it..) on my F200

It boots 10 seconds faster than the official firmware with Gmenu2X! Yeah!! That makes booting the GP2X just about tolerable. Its not as fast as a DS but 22 secs is ok.

- Software reset is a very nice feature. I have tried some emulators made by ZX-81 to force a system hang (select a ZX-81 emulator, exit the emulator, try another ZX-81 emulator and than it hangs). The software reset didn't help here.
Using the software reset instead of the normal exit program seems to help as well, so might be a nice workaround.

- Couldnt find my TV-out cable... so havent tested TV-out yet

- install went well, without issues. Gmenu2X links are still present and all games / emulators ive tried worked perfect.

Ive only scratched the surface of Open2X, but I am really impressed.

Thanks Senor Quack and all other team members for the amazing job!

I tried to install dr6 on my F200(B) but after firmware update nothing happends. I turned off my console and at reboot the console freezes.
I reflashed my gp2x with 4.0.2 and 4.1.1 and now all works fine.

I think that Dr6 is not compatible with F200(B)

'Alghazanth' said:

I have downloaded and extracted the contents to the root of my sd card , powered on while pushing start-select , the firmware update screen came , but is stuck at 'mount root fs' , and I have been waiting for about 30 minutes :( I'm sure I downloaded the right version and I'm using the power adaptor. I'm afraid of doing sth wrong and bricking my gp2x

Try another SD card and if that doesn't work try another card reader. It's almost assuredly one of those two that are causing the problem.

'paradroid' said:
I tried to install dr6 on my F200(B) but after firmware update nothing happends. I turned off my console and at reboot the console freezes.
I reflashed my gp2x with 4.0.2 and 4.1.1 and now all works fine.

I think that Dr6 is not compatible with F200(B)
Trust me.. I have an F200 B and it should be compatible. Try another SD card and card reader. When I get home, I will try to reflash my F200 with the image I provided and see if maybe I made a mistake but others with F200s have flashed successfully.

I had a world of problems installing DR4 once and it turned out to be a flakey card reader and a separate time it turned out to be that the GP2X's uboot (base firmware) won't read some cards properly so I also had a card problem.

'Gruso' said:
Ok. The first new feature I honed in on was the USB>GP2X control. Outstanding stuff! With a USB converted SNES pad plugged in, my GP2X is a whole new machine. If nothing else was improved I'd be happy.

Of course, there's lots more to be happy about. I was running DR4, so I was already enjoying most of the improvements over FW4.0.0 (boot times, the wealth of settings, the list goes on). Having touch screen added to the package is great. I like the LCD timing utility too.

The only rain on my parade so far, PAL TV out settings produced much the same result as NTSC. I don't know if you want more detailed descriptions (or pics), but basically it's the ol' rapidly cycling mess of fuzzy lines.

Hot damn, I haven't even fired up a game yet. More from me later. Thanks for everything so far. :wub:
Thanks for the donation! I am concerned about PAL tv-out.. I take it you selected PAL mode in the GMenu2X settings screen, then maybe did a fresh boot and turned TV mode on?

Anyone else have any good or bad experiences with PAL tv out?? I need to know!!

'peelie' said:
thanks for this!!
some quick testing: (tvout tested on PAL F100 model)

not working
pykaraoke
cave story

tv out not working
pykaraoke
cave story
rotategear
powder2x
gp2xchess
stppc2x (works to some extent)

tvout working
pikix8
lgpt
greader2X
mplayer
music

Thanks for your report, Peelie.. Now, Cave Story should work, it is one of the games I tested but I need to take another look, a later change by me might have broken something. As for Pykaraoke, that will never work (unless you maybe try Compat, the open2x compatibility layer that i haven't tried yet). That's because it dynamically links to a dozen libraries and nothing I try makes it work, it wasn't meant to be I am afraid.

As for the ones you mentioned weren't working with Tvout, the chances are that most of those use HW SDL with double-buffering and unfortunately those will never work with the TV out tweaker.. HW SDL unfortunately made the mistake of trashing the scaler registers every buffer flip, nothing i can do about it.

Nice to hear that PAL tvout works.. Does the image look too cut off or about right? On my NTSC TV I get about 8 missing pixels at most on all sides. Can you center the image OK, adjusting offsets and can you scale the image bigger or smaller?

'paradroid' said:
Why my sd work well for original GPH firmware and not for DR6?
Dunno, it is not a good sign that other SDs or card readers will work, but it is something you should try anways.

As for someone asking about using the Gp2X as a USB SD reader, I do know that doesn't work and I can't be bothered to look into it further because the GP2X's hardware is so crappy that using it as an SD reader/writer is a just plain bad idea. Just order a $3 reader from dealextreme

Well, I tried with 3 different sd card 128,256 mB and 1 Gb and with 3 different sd card writer (Build-in notebook, old sd card reader and newer sd card reader with sdhc support)
And the result is the same my gp2x freeze.
I flashed GPH firmware with those sds and always works fine.

'Moxie' said:
'Orkie' said:

Now lookatdat! verything looks perfect. Thanks!

'paradroid' said:
Just a thought - You didn't miss that you have to boot it two times while holding start+select, did you? Copy stuff to card, insert card in gp2x, turn on gp2x while holding start+select, wait past "formatting NAND" and "Copying firmware" until it says to turn the machine off, Turn machine off but don't remove the card, turn it on again whilst holding start+select again, let it boot - finished! Now, and not before, may yiu remove the card. At least, that's how I read it and how I did.

'Moxie' said:
'Moxie' said:
'Orkie' said:

Now lookatdat! verything looks perfect. Thanks!

'paradroid' said:
Just a thought - You didn't miss that you have to boot it two times while holding start+select, did you? Copy stuff to card, insert card in gp2x, turn on gp2x while holding start+select, wait past "formatting NAND" and "Copying firmware" until it says to turn the machine off, Turn machine off but don't remove the card, turn it on again whilst holding start+select again, let it boot - finished! Now, and not before, may yiu remove the card. At least, that's how I read it and how I did.

My console freeze after firmware upgrading, the screen became black and purple and nothing happends.
Maybe the problem is in my unit that was shipped with 4.0.2 firmware and new LCD screen.

Cave Story works on mine; I didn't use Compat.

'Alghazanth' said:

It seems from the previous DR4 thread, Megagun, atomicthumbs, and Burbruee experienced this problem. You can try asking them on what they did.

'paradroid' said:
Well, I tried with 3 different sd card 128,256 mB and 1 Gb and with 3 different sd card writer (Build-in notebook, old sd card reader and newer sd card reader with sdhc support)
How do you flash the gph firmware ? I gave up and powered off after 2 hours and it will always show the firmware upgrade screen even without a card and not sure if that means it is bricked...

'Alghazanth' said:
'paradroid' said:
How do you flash the gph firmware ? I gave up and powered off after 2 hours and it will always show the firmware upgrade screen even without a card and not sure if that means it is bricked...

It sounds like a brick....

In my case DR6 don't write nothing in Nand and so I can reflash with GPH firmware, but try to put fw 4.0.2 in your sd card and boot the console.

Alghazanth, you have a F-100, right? So FW 4.0.2 isn't the correct FW.

In the previous DR4 thread, Burbruee seemed to have been able to go back to the GPH firmware.

Try asking those I mentioned in my post before on what they did; they might be able to help.

Open2x doesn't touch the bootloader, it is always possible to reflash a GPH firmware.

'Senor Quack' said:
I take it you selected PAL mode in the GMenu2X settings screen, then maybe did a fresh boot and turned TV mode on?
Yep, a couple of reboots, confirming the settings each time.

Back