Nubs: 100% Success! (2010 - 11 - 21)

yeah to all you nay-sayers, (cant believe i just typed that) all you gotta do is pick a date and if you havnt got your pandora by then, cancel. ive been around for about a year and i cant believ what has happened to these guys but like # 1GAMEMASTER said i believe the pandora is exactly what ive been looking for so i think its worth the wait although i still think if i dont have it by a certain date, i could prolly use the money, another kind of machine will show up at some point, lets all hope for the rise of the pandora 2 and not some crappy other company

EDIT: GRAMMAR AND STUFF

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I woke up at 6 in the morning to order mine and expedited the checkout process. I'm in late on batch 1 for a backup and another for my girlfriend in batch 2. So I'm still vested and want new nubs and maybe socketed at some point if doable and perhaps this electrosparkle case if it ever sees daylight or gets "discussed". To the naysayers, cancel so I can move up the que. We have progress if we have new nubs. Texas has the ball.

Words of wisdom, also if you're here complaining then cancel and help everyone behind you.

Look I dont know if you understand how people are feeling about this handheld, I mean from putting in an order for a product and not receiving still almost two years later is kinda hard on the people that stand behind this project. Now as the way things are made the pandora is out dated and handhelds and cellphones are offering comparable and better specs than the pandora and getting out to the people on time. LOL!! I know that you probably taken offense on what I said but I dont care because I am waiting on my pandora as well. But I mean come on you really dont understand what the people on this forum is complaining about.....you are really BLIND!! That is my words of wisdom. FYI, I think that the Pandora is always looking for someone to blame because they cant deliver like that said they would. Now I am going to wait for my pandora because I know that about December of 2011 I will be receiving my Pandora and I am in Batch 1. LOL!!!

Look I dont know if you understand how people are feeling about this handheld, I mean from putting in an order for a product and not receiving still almost two years later is kinda hard on the people that stand behind this project. Now as the way things are made the pandora is out dated and handhelds and cellphones are offering comparable and better specs than the pandora and getting out to the people on time. LOL!! I know that you probably taken offense on what I said but I dont care because I am waiting on my pandora as well. But I mean come on you really dont understand what the people on this forum is complaining about.....you are really BLIND!! That is my words of wisdom. FYI, I think that the Pandora is always looking for someone to blame because they cant deliver like that said they would. Now I am going to wait for my pandora because I know that about December of 2011 I will be receiving my Pandora and I am in Batch 1. LOL!!!

Sure the hardware may be outdated, but I can't think of any other project like this. A truly open gaming platform in a handheld form. The work on the PND system was phenomenal, The Emulator porters doing an excellent job. Cell phones are limiting, they don't have proper controls and generally a short lifespan due to cellphone contracts. For some the Pandora is just a gadget, I see a great opportunity for innovation and collaboration. I'm hoping to contribute to this project in some form or fashion and that I think is more of my pull toward the Pandora then even the device it self. That's how I feel.

To me, as soon I heard about the Pandora project in 2008, I was instantly hooked on the project. Although I never had the money in Batch 1, I have followed the project since its inception. I have managed to save up enough money to purchase a Pandora, Case, and TV-Out cable in October 2010. This is definitely an investment for me, as I really don't purchase items at this price. I have an original Playstation, Sega Genesis, Tiger R-Zone XPG, Tiger Game Com, GBA, and a Pokemon Mini handheld, so I am an avid retro fan. Is the board company actually finished with the boards? Where are the pictures of the thousands (not hundreds) of boards that were supposed to be completed a month - ahem - 2 months ago?

I know that Foxconn operates under unsavory working conditions, but are they really that expensive? I was just throwing an idea out there. Does anyone have an ideas for companies that have separate board manufacturing and installation facilities in a single location, for one low price?

The current status page was updated yesterday, for those who have not noticed.

And I quote:

"Current Status

Development of the Pandora is finished and it is now in production. While it's not yet going as smooth as it should, we're working on this and speeding it up.

Here you can find the current status. We'll try to keep it as up-to-date as possible (current status date: 2010-11-23)

There are various companies involved in the production, therefore the status report mentions the company.

All parts that are needed to produce the rest of the 3100 Pandoras do exist, the new nubs are currently being produced.

Units produced and delivered so far: About 900

PCB production schedule (directly taken from the PCB manufacturer):

First 1000 PCBs: Testing: Nov. 1st - Nov. 12th. Nubs installation and testing: Needs to be rescheduled. Shipping: Needs to be rescheduled.

Second 1000 PCBs: Production: Oct. 18th - Nov 11th. Testing: Nov 12th. - Nov 17th. Nubs installation and testing: Needs to be rescheduled. Shipping: Needs to be rescheduled.

Third 1000 PCBs: Production: Nov. 5th - Nov 30th. Testing: Nov 29th. - Dec 6th. Nubs installation and testing: Needs to be rescheduled.. Shipping:Needs to be rescheduled.

Total number of LCD cables finished: About 1500. The rest of the needed cables should have been shipped November 17th. Waiting for some information from the Company.

Total number of cases produced: About 5000

Nub Company: The mass production test run of the new nubs has happened. 200 nubs have been tested (20 by Michael, 30 by the nub company, 150 by the board company), none failed. Real mass production about to start, currently waiting for schedules from the nub company.

Case Company: All cases finished, 2000 have already arrived in UK (excluding the ones already shipped as as final Pandoras). The rest should soon follow by ship.

Misc Info: Batch 2 is due to start shortly after Batch 1 is finished.

If you have any further questions, please ask them at the official forums.

Last Updated on Monday, 22 November 2010 23:31"

I know that Foxconn operates under unsavory working conditions, but are they really that expensive? I was just throwing an idea out there. Does anyone have an ideas for companies that have separate board manufacturing and installation facilities in a single location, for one low price?
It's not like you just have a Pandora spec-sheet which you insert into the board-manufacturing machine to automatically produce 1000 boards. Such machines require some heavy configuration and set-up work for each type of product.

Why go through all that configuration effort when another customer places an order in the millions? The point is, it's expensive to switch between production of different products so you choose customers who order in bulk. For such companies 50.000 units is nothing.

While it's not yet going as smooth as it should, we're working on this and speeding it up.
I'm so sick and tired of that overused line. It's been speeding up for half a year but in the meantime no extra units have been delivered. I'm still expecting only 1000 units max. to ship this year.

I'm so sick and tired of that overused line. It's been speeding up for half a year but in the meantime no extra units have been delivered. I'm still expecting only 1000 units max. to ship this year.

no nubs are not just rubber.. they're actually a self contained analog joystick.. Very small one at that.

you see from this pic there is a bit of components that make it up.

some links

Some pics

Actually when spar parts become more readily available I was thinking of buying some nubs for some electronic projects I been stirring in my head.

no nubs are not just rubber.. they're actually a self contained analog joystick.. Very small one at that.

can't seem to link these pictures directly so heres a link to Some pics

Actually when spar parts become more readily available I was thinking of buying some nubs for some electronic projects I been stirring in my head.

The nubs actually have a self-contained controller? I did not know that.... Interesting.

The nubs actually have a self-contained controller? I did not know that.... Interesting.
There's no controller on the nubs. The nubs are just 4 analog variable resistors in a clever package. The controller is on the board.

"self-contained" ... == an atmega8 on the other side of the other side of the main pandora PCB for each nub (with proprietary firmware provided by the nub maker for the uCs).

There's no controller on the nubs. The nubs are just 4 analog variable resistors in a clever package. The controller is on the board.

That's all I thought they were. It's a far cry from just being a piece of rubber. and that's pretty self contained in my book.

I guess I'm impressed easy especially how big my old analog joysticks were on my Tandy. Even those were just two variable resistors.. in a bulky package.

mmielke, how clever - double posting is frowned upon but no one said anything about quadruple posting did they?

Back