No Silkscreen Possibly?

Monk said:
second exodous said:
Wow, that comment made an impact, I'm sorry I said it.

IMHO it's a nice convenient clear example of something that's been a bit irritating for a while. An attitude, or at least the appearance of it, of "Well I don't need X so if you need X then you must be real DUMB. . .
I'm glad you added 'appearance of it' because I wasn't implying anyone was unintelligent. I'm sorry that we don't agree and I'm sorry I was snooty earlier. I still see silk screening as optional, IMO (btw, I didn't know what IMO or IMHO meant until recently, maybe I'm the caveman) silk screening doesn't make the Pandora look any better or make it look any more professional, it is optional.

Wizardstan did have a good point about the voltage, if the silk screening can't be made to look good then that should be put on even if the rest is left off.

After seeing that picture of the silk screening I think it will have it anyway so it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mjlink said:
Alpha2 said:
No they would have LIKED for it to be done right in december. The whole reason it's taken so long is because they dont want to half ass the thing. to go this far and wait this long and suddenly not have labeling that every other device on the planet has would be silly, that'd be the DEFINITION of half assing.
I think the plastics company has half assed the thing and given the Pandora ZERO priority. OP is stuck with them. So you want to give the ball back and keep playing.

Sorry, I just want to say game over China.

The iphones buttons aren't labeled and there are how many of them? Ipod touch? Lights that will be bright when you are sitting in a dark room with your eyes glued to a screen, illuminating a white silkscreen on black plastic WTF are you trying to figure out with 6 lights? I'm sorry its gonna be that confusing for you, you might want to wait till the second batch. Surrender your order # or go naked first batch.

You gotta have a slogan.

Peace & black

Link

Your iphone is pretty irrelevant in this conversation but they did label their button with a square. The on switch ok I could skip, the volume knob is a major duh, being non-arab I count/read from left to right so ok sd 1 and 2 are a bit obvious but the iphone doesn't have 8 lights afaik which is almost as many as the new dell laptop corp. issued me which as to their meaning is pretty mysterious even when labeled. Whether it is some huge hurdle or another delay is only conjecture, have another bong hit and relax. It would be a great help to have them labeled, if you don't like to wait you really got in the wrong queue.

Still trying to figure out the mystery of the dell's third padlock light, vapor lock. file lock, canal lock, dread lock?

@Twiitcher
I don't see a reason to get worked up, tbh :huh:
For a silkscreened render try this http://www.open-pandora.org/ :p

I think the screen printing of the labels will appear to be like a lightning strike compared to the snail like pace of having to assemble 3800 of these by amateurs rather than on a professional assembly line as I was led to believe until this was tweeted an hour ago;
@QBJECT We are still doing the boards+population in the USA, but it looks like the actual casing of the units will have to be done by us.
http://twitter.com/Craigix

mali said:
@Twiitcher
I don't see a reason to get worked up, tbh :huh:
For a silkscreened render try this http://www.open-pandora.org/ :p

Ahh, I see the silkscreening on the led's .. missed that. Correction noted.

I'm not worked up, it's just a bit frustrating to post and have the general message in the post ignored and have a minor correction made without addressing the 'message' the post was meant to convey. Why bother? In all this, an opinion about the sense of entitlement and the perspective of OP as a 'Corporation' that WE gave our money to THEM was not even referenced.

So again I don't understand why anyone would bother to correct a minor point and not address the messge the entire post was meant to send. If the entire message point was 'based' on the original mistake that approach would make sense, but that mis-fact changes nothing about the conclusion / perspective of my post.

Statement - "Chocolatte is good"

Reply - "Chocolate is mis-spelled"

My Reply -"that's nice, the statment still applies Chocolate is good, do you aggree? disagree? or are you just the spelling nazi"

Twiitcher

I have about four day's worth of patience for silkscreening. Maybe a week if it's going to be really nicely done.
More than that I'd just be irritated at the additional delay.

Everyone accepts that Pandora's OS and software will never be perfect and will always be a work in progress as though they were a truth of nature. I don't understand why so many are shouting (and have been shouting) that they'll be upset if they get anything less than iPhone quality shininess.

I'm convinced that after a few months bouncing around in my pocket the silkscreening will be half rubbed off anyway.

@Twiitcher
I still don't get you. I'll go back and read that first post again, to see if I have to add something. The renders having no silkscreening is plain wrong, so why shouldn't I point this out? If the rest of your post doesn't address me, I don't _have_ to reply to it, do I? Saying that I shouldn't reply to only a part of a post is a bit strange.

edit:
I reread that post and still don't have to add anything as it was -as you pointed ot yourself - just a rant about perceiving Open Pandora as a company vs. part of the community. This is not related to this silkscreening discussion.

To go back to the original point, that the renders don't have silkscreening I have to say, that one could receive this as an attempt to make a point, thus shifting one's own opinion towards thinking silkscreening is unnecessary.

edit2: You say Open Pandora is received as a 'Corporation'. That's not true. A company making money, that's right, not a corporation trying to please shareholders.
Your chocolate example doesn't make sense at all :huh:

There are two aspects really; Functionality and aesthetics. The former doesn't carry that much weight (The Grand "Idiot" Argument), and the latter allows for endless debate.

For anyone who has issues with LED brightness, I've used ducting tape (not Duct tape) to cover bright LEDs. Its not permanent, has a silver finish and is semi-transparent (whereas duct tape isn't).

I find the power stuff should be labeled regarding voltage etc, but isn't the Pandora 100-240v? How will polarity affect anything if you are using the proper power cord? (Trust me, I've had my issues with Canadian 220v that looks like 110v US and have fried things).

I don't think the Chinese really care about this project, its a headache to them.

In no means am I trying to be elitist and tell people they don't deserve to be in the first batch or be snooty (its just a gimic, to stir up the water, like watching WWE). I consider the case factory a risk that needs to be controlled by forward progress on the case itself and when the silkscreen works and is acceptable stamp that on them. Further delays are hurting the OS, the community, and integrity of OP. I'm not blaming OP.

If you're willing to wait another six months for this issue to be resolved i commend your patience. I would rather play some games and use the device and cut the silkscreen as a loss.

Peace & morning bong hits,

Link

@mali

mali said:
@Twiitcher
I still don't get you. I'll go back and read that first post again, to see if I have to add something. The renders having no silkscreening is plain wrong, so why shouldn't I point this out? If the rest of your post doesn't address me, I don't _have_ to reply to it, do I? Saying that I shouldn't reply to only a part of a post is a bit strange.

edit:
I reread that post and still don't have to add anything as it was -as you pointed ot yourself - just a rant about perceiving Open Pandora as a company vs. part of the community. This is not related to this silkscreening discussion.

To go back to the original point, that the renders don't have silkscreening I have to say, that one could receive this as an attempt to make a point, thus shifting one's own opinion towards thinking silkscreening is unnecessary.

edit2: You say Open Pandora is received as a 'Corporation'. That's not true. A company making money, that's right, not a corporation trying to please shareholders.

You don't have to.

The silkscreen discussion is being based on a sense of entitlement by many.. my post is related to the 'flavor' of the silkscreen debate, not necessarily the silkscreening itself - valid IMO.

Why shift the opinion in a direction I care not about as stated.

Open Pandora is a company making money? ok... if you believe so... (Perceived... not received.. just sayin) : )

VRAndy said:
I have about four day's worth of patience for silkscreening. Maybe a week if it's going to be really nicely done.
More than that I'd just be irritated at the additional delay.

Everyone accepts that Pandora's OS and software will never be perfect and will always be a work in progress as though they were a truth of nature. I don't understand why so many are shouting (and have been shouting) that they'll be upset if they get anything less than iPhone quality shininess.

I'm convinced that after a few months bouncing around in my pocket the silkscreening will be half rubbed off anyway.
Because software will be standard, while the silkscreen will be "special" for the 4000 first pandora.
The team told us that the first batchers will get a special token of appreciation in the form of a little addition to the silk screen.
Only the leds and the mention "First Batch" is of some importance to me, moreover the silkscreen just have minor tweaks needed to be perfect.
I'll even be ok to have the misaligned silkscreen without the official bluetooth icon.

TBH, when the spare parts will be available, I'll buy a new case to mod it, because I want to keep my "limited edition" case safe...

Twiitcher said:
You don't have to.

The silkscreen discussion is being based on a sense of entitlement by many.. my post is related to the 'flavor' of the silkscreen debate, not necessarily the silkscreening itself - valid IMO.

Why shift the opinion in a direction I care not about as stated.
Well, I don't think the discussion has a flavour. It's surely possible to drag any discussion on the boards into a broader scheme of company vs. community, but most people just use it to water down arguments. Sometimes it's just what it is, a discussion about silkscreening vs. no silkscreening ;)

second exodous said:
I'm glad you added 'appearance of it' because I wasn't implying anyone was unintelligent. I'm sorry that we don't agree and I'm sorry I was snooty earlier.

Differences of opinion aside, apology accepted - and I don't always to remember to mention thing slike "appearances" but I do when I can, because it can be very hard to pin down what other people ACTUALLY think or intend - and making unqualified explicit statements can lead one into very deep waters.

Twiitcher said:
Ahh, I see the silkscreening on the led's .. missed that. Correction noted.

I'm not worked up, it's just a bit frustrating to post and have the general message in the post ignored and have a minor correction made without addressing the 'message' the post was meant to convey. Why bother? In all this, an opinion about the sense of entitlement and the perspective of OP as a 'Corporation' that WE gave our money to THEM was not even referenced.

So again I don't understand why anyone would bother to correct a minor point and not address the messge the entire post was meant to send. If the entire message point was 'based' on the original mistake that approach would make sense, but that mis-fact changes nothing about the conclusion / perspective of my post.

My Reply -"that's nice, the statment still applies Chocolate is good, do you aggree? disagree? or are you just the spelling nazi"

Twiitcher

I took the majority of your post as irrelevant. You don't see them as a corporation? Good for you! I see them as a company. So do TI. So do the Chinese Factory. Nothing I'd said previously changed because of what you said, so I didn't REALLY see the point in simple repetition. Or to put it another way, you like chocolcate? I don't have anything to say about that. You like it. That has zero impact on the rest of the world. I just addressed the most interesting and relavant part of your post.

@Mail you ninja'd me on the render! ;)

Sphinxter said:
I think the screen printing of the labels will appear to be like a lightning strike compared to the snail like pace of having to assemble 3800 of these by amateurs rather than on a professional assembly line as I was led to believe until this was tweeted an hour ago;
@QBJECT We are still doing the boards+population in the USA, but it looks like the actual casing of the units will have to be done by us.
http://twitter.com/Craigix

Ah. <considers>. It's a Craigism, I'll wait until someone responsible posts on the topic.

fiori_musicali said:
There are two aspects really; Functionality and aesthetics. The former doesn't carry that much weight (The Grand "Idiot" Argument), and the latter allows for endless debate.

The forum surely loves a mass debate.

I don't really care for the silkscreening, but I think we can find a middle ground that we can all [mostly] agree on.

Keep the power label and the LED labels (and maybe the silly "first batch" logo) and get rid of the rest. With less printed on the case, there's less to mess up. Also, the only part in danger of rubbin off is on the outside of the case, so any silkscreening on the inside (LED) will be safe. Plus, I think that less silkscreening on the outside will make the Pandora look more elegant, at least when it's closed.

Eh? How 'bout it?

geo12 said:
Eh? How 'bout it?

Humans love to label things. They also make discussing things easier. For example, it's easier for a manual or tutorial or other set of instructions to say "put the 32GB SD card in SD slot 1" than it is to say "put the 32GB SD card in the SD card which is leftmost as viewed from the front with the screen open in normal viewing position", type, kinda thing. It may make sense to the OpenPandora team purely on that front, even though that seems to me to be more of a batch #2+ sortof thing.

They've put the effort into designing a decent silkscreen, even to the point of discussing why they prefer THAT wireless icon over an alternative wireless icon that was suggested, and multiple arguments over the Bluetooth labelling and... wouldn't is be a shame, to have wasted ALL of that heat and effort, for nothing?

I guess, more and more, that the external stuff will wipre off alarmingly quickly. That's the vibe I'm picking up from other users at least - and won't that include the power labelling? Which leaves the LED status labels (some of the most important, after the power labelling, since the power connector is DC not mains AC). As they've put so much effort into them, it seems to me they were important to the team at one stage?

Monk said:
As they've put so much effort into them, it seems to me they were important to the team at one stage?

Just because they put a lot of time into it doesn't mean it's that important. I have a feeling that designing the silkscreen was the only step they could do while they waited for other parts of the production from other places. But if it's now causing manufacturing problems and thus delays it should be scrapped or at least altered to be adequate (e.g. applied to places where it won't be rubbed off).

geo12 said:
But if it's now causing manufacturing problems and thus delays it should be scrapped or at least altered to be adequate (e.g. applied to places where it won't be rubbed off).
It isn't causing any problems or delays. Not yet, anyway.

Twiitcher said:

You spelt "agree" wrong. Also, a question-mark terminates a sentence - so you should capitalise "disagree" and the "or" at the start of the next sentence. To be honest though, I'm doubtful that you should use "or" to start a sentence at all, but we could probably let that one slide as it's a tad extreme an error even for me.

Edit: Ooh, crikey. "Statment"? "still applies Chocolate"? And I'd argue against the use of the comma after "good".

D.

Wow. I really am amazed at how many people in this thread are concerned about the silkscreening. I suspected I was in a minority who wanted Pandora shipped ASAP even if it was far from perfect, but a few labels??? I would not rate that as worth even a week's delay. After reading the thread, yes voltage info is useful, but I don't see any other labels useful at all.

Back