No Silkscreen Possibly?

This is all true. And had crossed my mind. Probably shouldnt have posted really. The electrostatic issue itself is probably a solid enough reason to shoot down the idea.
OK, you are completely right, but why cant the factory be sent an accurate CAD file with silkscreen locations and reasonable tolerances, and let them do their thing.
The communications seems to be the major delay, its the way things are done in other areas of engineering (i have no silkscreen experience-obviously). The OP team shouldn't have to say it isn't good enough. Then only the final approval would be required, the factory can do the tweaks..
Is this the way it is being done? obviously it wasnt with the cases, because it is impractical with injection molding (in my mind it seems it would be anyway without those 3d laser mappery thingies-I forget the name!)

second exodous said:
Mithrildor said:
atiti said:
how about if there is no silkscreening for the first batch, and there are people who wouldn't mind waiting then get moved into the second patch, and people who would like a pandy as soon as possible (without silk screen) get pushed up in the first batch? :p

No.

I want a silkscreen, I want to wait, but I dont want to wait another 6 months
Just curious, what if silk screening takes another 6 months to get right? Lets face it, it could happen, how long ago was the Pandora supposed to be released? The case was not supposed to take as long it did. Now, according to this scenario you would rather the first batch being held up for 6 months rather than just change to the second batch to get it in 6 months. Wow, thanks.

If that happens I want it without silkscreening

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
second exodous said:
You have no idea how long silk screening could hold back batch one
You are wrong. You have no idea how wrong you are ;)
Ok, so how long exactly will it take? See, you don't know. And one member wanted to ship those 500, I remember the rest of the team didn't feel too comfortable with it so I took the team as a whole.

Anyway, you are right, I forgot about that, but we were talking about the OP team, not just Craig.

I'll admit I'm biased because from the start of the whole silk screening fiasco I've decided I can live without it. Is the silkscreen on your Pandora for you or other people? If it's for you do you really think you'll forget what the LEDs stand for? If it's for other people looking at your Pandora why you can't tell them what they mean if they really want to know? Or are you worried what other people will think if they don't see every light labled?

I don't think many people will think about it, look at the DS Light, it has two unmarked LEDs. The volume on the Pandora doesn't need to be marked because it's a wheel, pretty universal there. The SD slots are slots that look like every other SD slot looks like, no need for marking there. Audio jack is an audio jack, no need for marking there. USB port doesn't need to be marked because it's a USB port, if you don't know what that is I'm happy that you got thawed out of that block of ice after 5,000 years of hibernation. The Ext. port isn't marked but I see those kind of ports go unmarked all the time. The power port is, well, a power port, not many people will try to plug a earphone jack into your power port. So that just leaves the LEDs, unmarked like the DS.

I bet, if the OP-Team would do some bribery to the Factory with some illegal extra-money, they would have their Cases and perfect Silk-Screening 3 Months ago. :(

second exodous said:
silk screening fiasco
I read the boards rather closely, but Im still missing things, it seems :p

fusion_power said:
I bet, if the OP-Team would do some bribery to the Factory with some illegal extra-money, they would have their Cases and perfect Silk-Screening 3 Months ago. :(

Yeah, we have an ethics test regularly at work. That comes up without fail, getting things done faster in China with some cash investments :p
Funny stuff.
Its inethical

I just want my first batch pandora finished, and no silkscreening can hold the production for 6 month, the silkscreen prints where ok, the problem was the alignment.
(and that they didn't use the good file)

I want a finished product, that's all.
Even if some think silkscreening is of no importance, I would feel ripped off if I did not have my little sign of recognition with my pandora branded first batch.

The first silkscreen they did was using an old file? (or something?). I remember thinking that it looked okay even with the wrong file. So if it nothing more than a file swap......

it looked good enough indeed:

silk_screen.jpg

Mithrildor said:
it looked good enough indeed:

silk_screen.jpg
Wait, what are people complaining about? If it looks that good right now I'm sure I'll ship with it.

@mali: Yeah, I use that word too liberally, I don't think I'm using fiasco incorrectly, I'll have to look it up I guess. By saying that I just meant how many threads/polls pop up on this forum about it.

second exodous said:
@mali: Yeah, I use that word too liberally, I don't think I'm using fiasco incorrectly, I'll have to look it up I guess. By saying that I just meant how many threads/polls pop up on this forum about it.
The speculation and poll fiasco is indeed serious :D

Stevene said:
This is all true. And had crossed my mind. Probably shouldnt have posted really. The electrostatic issue itself is probably a solid enough reason to shoot down the idea.

Nah. When this forum acts well we can discuss almost anything, and that CAN lead from unpromising premises to outright genuis results. The posts that shouldn't be made are the offensive ones, not the ones quielt and calmly looking for solutions :) (IMHO).

As to why it can't have been done already - I have nothing but conjecture :( (it could have, it should have, and maybe it has actually been done - all but the confirmation, for all I know).

second exodous said:
Monk said:
second exodous said:
You have no idea how long silk screening could hold back batch one
You are wrong. You have no idea how wrong you are ;)
Ok, so how long exactly will it take? See, you don't know.

You stated not "You do not know exactly how long silk screening could hold back batch one" but "You have no idea how long silk screening could hold back batch one". You are wrong. I have an idea how much of a delay it could add. Based on OpenPandora history, I probably have a better idea than OpenPandora do - but that doesn't mean I know exactly how long it will take. Are you trying to be annoying? It's working.

second exodous said:
And one member wanted to ship those 500, I remember the rest of the team didn't feel too comfortable with it so I took the team as a whole.

Can you give them back please, they have important work to do.

To refresh your memory, Craig (who is touted as leader of OpenPandora) is the chap who starts threads like "This Is How It's Going To Happen", which is a lot more concrete-sounding than my "every time it appears that OP is willing... ". Do you see what I'm saying there?

second exodous said:
Anyway, you are right, I forgot about that, but we were talking about the OP team, not just Craig.

Perhaps, but if Steve Jobs says Apple are going to release an iPhone that is several times the size of an iPhone, has less battery runtime, and can't make or take calls because it doesn't have the phone portion of the phone - do you wait for everyone else at Apple to comment first or do you assume it is something Apple are willing to consider? I also get tired of Craig-bashing. Craig is a member of the team. If he's saying things that are counter to their business, then they need to have words with him. Every member of a company is a salesman for that company, a representative. Business 101.

second exodous said:
I'll admit I'm biased because from the start of the whole silk screening fiasco I've decided I can live without it.

IMHO that's a whole other issue than for anyone conemplating how to get a "finsihed" Pandora later, as for you it seems a "stealth" Pandora is your desired object.

second exodous said:
Is the silkscreen on your Pandora for you or other people? If it's for you do you really think you'll forget what the LEDs stand for? If it's for other people looking at your Pandora why you can't tell them what they mean if they really want to know? Or are you worried what other people will think if they don't see every light labled?

You and others could possibly do with toning down the snooty attitude at times. Yes, it's for me. Sur eI can learn what the buttons mean just like I could learn how to drive an unlabelled car. Should I have to? Among all the other blinking lights on all the other equipment I use at the various locations my clients may need me to be? If the Pandora was all there was in my life then Pfft, sure - 6 lights? I can learn that. It isn't. It's way down near the bottom of the list.

It's also for my son, who is 8 years old. I should teach him what the lights mean and make sure he remembers that because it's more improtant than What The Romans did? (that's this half-term's project).

It's also for those tha tI have recommended to this project, and THEIR kids (at least one of whom is younger than my son).

The Pandora isn't for showing off as far as I'm concerned - what's to show off? It's a bit of electronic kit. I want it to be finished. I didn't buy a black box. I can get those from Maplins.

second exodous said:
I'm happy that you got thawed out of that block of ice after 5,000 years of hibernation

See, now, I don't say this often - but fuck off, eh?

mali said:
edit:
F*** you Monk, bloody Ninja :p

Hehe - I'm a Caveman Ninja! ;)

second exodous said:
USB port doesn't need to be marked because it's a USB port, if you don't know what that is I'm happy that you got thawed out of that block of ice after 5,000 years of hibernation.
I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but this is a bad example. ;)

There is a good reason for that USB port to be labelled, because it is a USB 2.0 High Speed port only. USB 1.1 items cannot be plugged directly into it (you need a hub in-between).

Prometheus said:
second exodous said:
USB port doesn't need to be marked because it's a USB port, if you don't know what that is I'm happy that you got thawed out of that block of ice after 5,000 years of hibernation.
I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but this is a bad example. ;)

There is a good reason for that USB port to be labelled, because it is a USB 2.0 High Speed port only. USB 1.1 items cannot be plugged directly into it (you need a hub in-between).
But it doesn't say in the silk screening that it's only USB 2.0, or is that what HS means, I thought it meant High Speed. I don't know, but it's a USB port that even with silk screening doesn't say it won't work with 1.1. So with or without the silk screening it won't make a difference either way because most people assume that a 1.1 device will work in a 2.0 port.

@Monk: Yeah, it's opinion both ways it seems, sorry if I seemed snooty I just don't agree with any thing you're saying.

second exodous said:
But it doesn't say in the silk screening that it's only USB 2.0, or is that what HS means, I thought it meant High Speed. I don't know, but it's a USB port that even with silk screening doesn't say it won't work with 1.1 or 3.0.
Maybe so, but even in the old file (as shown in the photographs), it pretty clearly says "USB HS 2.0". This is a far better clue that it can only use USB 2.0 High Speed devices than no label at all. USB isn't "just USB", after all - there are things about it that are handy to know. That's all I was trying to point out. ;)

I think it will work with 3.0 because the device is backwards compatible with 2.0, doesn't matter what device it is, it will just run at 2.0 speeds. I think, like I said I'm not sure.
Well, the same can be said of USB 1.1 devices on a USB 2.0 port - except an extra chip is required to manage this, which, as far as I can tell, a lot of people don't seem to know. I didn't either, until it came up here. :p A label that specifies what sort of port it is at least gives me a hint that some things may perhaps not work directly, though.

Prometheus said:
second exodous said:
But it doesn't say in the silk screening that it's only USB 2.0, or is that what HS means, I thought it meant High Speed. I don't know, but it's a USB port that even with silk screening doesn't say it won't work with 1.1 or 3.0.
Maybe so, but even in the old file (as shown in the photographs), it pretty clearly says "USB HS 2.0". This is a far better clue that it can only use USB 2.0 High Speed devices than no label at all. USB isn't "just USB", after all - there are things about it that are handy to know. That's all I was trying to point out. ;)

I think it will work with 3.0 because the device is backwards compatible with 2.0, doesn't matter what device it is, it will just run at 2.0 speeds. I think, like I said I'm not sure.
Well, the same can be said of USB 1.1 devices on a USB 2.0 port - except an extra chip is required to manage this, which, as far as I can tell, a lot of people don't seem to know. I didn't either, until it came up here. :p A label that specifies what sort of port it is at least gives me a hint that some things may perhaps not work directly, though.
I see what your saying now, if someone plugs in a 1.1 device and it doesn't work then they think it's broken. I still don't think that it will make a difference marking it though, even if it says 2.0 the odds of someone knowing that it's a 1.1 device they are trying or even thinking that it might not be working because they are trying a 1.1 device is pretty slim

From what I read I'm pretty sure that every 3.0 device will work on 2.0 without any extra chips. I don't know if in the future they'll leave something out of the devices and break compatibility though.

I dislike USB, it was made for mice and keyboards, not storage or video. Companies never should have adopted 2.0 and left video and storage to firewire(which is truly backwards compatible between revisions and is older and just as fast) and eSATA(the new storage standard). It was an Intel and Microsoft thing, they had to have control to feel good about themselves.

Back