New Blog Post!

craigix said:
This is going to be back breaking but sensational work. I think we will all get a high from unloading this lorry.

This is it chaps!

Um...getting high from unloading a truck? Is there something going on that I don't know about? Or that I wasn't invited to join in on? hehe...

Last edited by a moderator:
These cases are going to be the death of me. Fuck them.

Ollonk said:
I'd rather not have sex with plastic cases..

Yep. Your penis might turn black and fall off. You know, the lead and all.

Ok, enough nonsense for today *runs*

Ollonk said:
Phawx said:
These cases are going to be the death of me. Fuck them.

I'd rather not have sex with plastic cases..

I'm up for giving it a try...

craigix said:
Magazines and websites do just make up facts and stories. There are a few sites who *really* know and follow the Pandora project and I know who they are because they email me to check facts.

NEWCASTLE - Rumors are circulating that the upcoming Pandora handheld is powered by the souls of tortured kittens. We contacted Mr Craig Rothwell, CEO of Open Pandora, LTD, to see if he could clarify whether the Pandora would be using the hypothetical experimental kitten-brain power cell instead of the more conventional lithium battery. Rothwell replied with a cryptic one line statement that appears to be a denial, but could be interpreted either way.

VRAndy said:
craigix said:
Magazines and websites do just make up facts and stories. There are a few sites who *really* know and follow the Pandora project and I know who they are because they email me to check facts.

NEWCASTLE - Rumors are circulating that the upcoming Pandora handheld is powered by the souls of tortured kittens. We contacted Mr Craig Rothwell, CEO of Open Pandora, LTD, to see if he could clarify whether the Pandora would be using the hypothetical experimental kitten-brain power cell instead of the more conventional lithium battery. Rothwell replied with a cryptic one line statement that appears to be a denial, but could be interpreted either way.

It's typed in a monospaced font it has to be true!

Cant we just get the cases that have been made to ship now, whilst the new sample goes to Michael to get approved?

Does any of the <700 customers want paint? I dont? (Speaking from a 250 something position) The sample>approval>sample>approval cycle is never going to end :(

Please can the produced cases just ship?

Please?

Since they didn't ship sample cases last weekend, I told them to assemble a unit themselves and make sure it fits. They did that and said it went together with no problems. They also still wanted to send me the samples so I said whatever and to ship them but they fit so we can just take the first 1000 cases without delay (other than any they fabricate from this point on). They have said over and over that these painted cases look very professional and we should be very pleased. They also said that with complicated molds like ours, painting is usually standard practice. They say they use a high quality, lead free paint that they claim has good scratch resistance properties.

A very important detail they told Fatih last night was that the paint is only applied to the outside of the case so all internal tolerances are unaffected which is great! That was my main concern anyway. My next concern was to make sure they don't paint inside the hinge hump edges so that when the lid is installed, it won't scrape back and forth. Fatih has been instructed to make sure they understand this but they are not idiots and they do know how this thing goes together. The main issue will be for them to make sure the paint facility crew knows this too.

About the silkscreen: Yes, three days is what they said it would take but the problem is that it might be wrong still. Then it is five days to send me samples to review, then three more days to try again, then five more days shipping....etc. The thing is that based on what we've seen, we're not so sure they will get it right and it could be a month before they do.

mali said:
Loonie said:
I'm listening to Peer Gynt by Grieg.

It's nice.
^ ROFL

Indeed :)

When playing youtube links (especially from mali) I have learned to hover my mouse over the volume controls just in case, and the title of the video totally sounded like thrash metal to me, so when the peaceful classic music that I recognized but didn't know the name of started, I kept expecting it to suddenly change (think Spike Jones who I think did so with this particular piece).
Then it didn't and I had to wiki it :p

So, you two have managed the reverse-surprise. Anyway, yes it is very nice. I've not sure I've ever heard all 8 minutes of the movement before (but may have on the radio)
(And my fears were not totally unfounded: I now know it's from the same source as "In the Hall of the Mountain King" ;) )
</distraction>

MWeston said:
My next concern was to make sure they don't paint inside the hinge hump edges so that when the lid is installed, it won't scrape back and forth. Fatih has been instructed to make sure they understand this but they are not idiots and they do know how this thing goes together. The main issue will be for them to make sure the paint facility crew knows this too.

This could turn out great or it could end up being another long delay.

Good to hear it's lead-free paint.

MWeston said:
A very important detail they told Fatih last night was that the paint is only applied to the outside of the case so all internal tolerances are unaffected which is great! That was my main concern anyway.

Do you think that the paint will get in the keyboard holes? that could affect / cause key stickage if it makes the keys too tight (or it could make it just right, who knows)

MWeston said:
Since they didn't ship sample cases last weekend, I told them to assemble a unit themselves and make sure it fits. They did that and said it went together with no problems. They also still wanted to send me the samples so I said whatever and to ship them but they fit so we can just take the first 1000 cases without delay (other than any they fabricate from this point on). They have said over and over that these painted cases look very professional and we should be very pleased. They also said that with complicated molds like ours, painting is usually standard practice. They say they use a high quality, lead free paint that they claim has good scratch resistance properties.

A very important detail they told Fatih last night was that the paint is only applied to the outside of the case so all internal tolerances are unaffected which is great! That was my main concern anyway. My next concern was to make sure they don't paint inside the hinge hump edges so that when the lid is installed, it won't scrape back and forth. Fatih has been instructed to make sure they understand this but they are not idiots and they do know how this thing goes together. The main issue will be for them to make sure the paint facility crew knows this too.

About the silkscreen: Yes, three days is what they said it would take but the problem is that it might be wrong still. Then it is five days to send me samples to review, then three more days to try again, then five more days shipping....etc. The thing is that based on what we've seen, we're not so sure they will get it right and it could be a month before they do.

I would go ahead and have them painted, they will look much better with the paint on the cases. Everyone has waited this long, a few more days is not going to kill anyone.

craigix said:
As far as I understand it with the cases they have made enough for this first run but want to paint them.

We have confirmed there is no lead in the paint.

They have sent a sample to Michael to approve.

Then they will either paint them or ship them as is.

I would just take your time and do it right the first time, have them painted if you can. The few extra days are no big deal after all this time.

MWeston said:

Cheers Michael,

So you have given the green light for the first 1000 to be painted?

I can just see them f**ing the paint job up and having to start all over again.

Have the shipping dates changed for the first 1000 painted cases?

Mweston, thanks for all the details. A few questions still, though.

MWeston said:

That sounds wonderful. Thanks for the news. To clarify, is that "They have 1000 cases now, and they are just waiting on the OK to paint them", or "They're waiting on the OK to [still] make the 1000 cases, and *then* paint them"?
Since you're going to be getting one of the latest beauties, and can see the quality, will that be sufficient to then OK the next 3-9 thousand? Ideally, they'll still ship off the first 1000 so you can start assembly already, but given how long they seem to take, I'd hope you give the go-ahead for the remainder ASAP so they don't cause yet still more delays.

MWeston said:

That's interesting. I wonder how they do that. Is that the outer (e.g. only one) side of each piece, or whatever the outside of the case actually is. I ask because the "outside" of the middle piece (which has all they keymay holes) is actually the sides/edge, and someone else expressed concern about the clearance on those with paint. Same thing for the d-pad and buttons, including the shoulder ones (can we get those without paint?).

MWeston said:

Urk? That's completely contrary to what you (not even craigix) told us a little over a month ago:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52316-when-the-pandora-cums/page__p__823053&#entry823053
MWeston said:
These cases will not have a silkscreen as that would push delivery out into April and even then Craig worried they would screw it up and stiff us with the cases. The problem is the mold company outsources the work and so they all have to be packaged up carefully, sent to this other company, printed, repackaged carefully and sent back to the mold company to be shipped to Craig with everything else. It could cause as much as another month of delays with the way we should trust them.

I understand that wires in communication get crossed (like just recently) but that's a doozy of a confusion. Not wanting to do it because it'll take a month to get them to get it printed just right is understandable. Not wanting to do it because it'll take a month to ship/print/return is also definitely understandable. I just want to make sure everyone's on the same page.

Again, I'm not trying to second-guess you, or contradict what you're telling us. I'd just like to figure out all the details as they are. It helps us (well, me, at least) better understand what's going on behind the scenes, and the reasons.

Breaking out those first thousand feels like it'd be pretty symbolically substantial, enough that I think that people 1001 and up would feel a bit more secure about their order if they knew that the first orders were going out, even if the later ones were getting silkscreened.

Is it not possible to have them continue with silkscreen tests while delivering the first thousand without silkscreen? That way, there is forward-going activity with production and delivery but also the continued and hopefully fruitful back and forth with the Factory.

benji_stein said:
Urk? That's completely contrary to what you (not even craigix) told us a little over a month ago:
So something I said over a month ago doesn't match something I was told a day ago. I must be a liar then. I think it's best I follow ED's lead. See you on the other side.

Argh. I don't think he meant to imply you were lying.

On one hand, we all should understand by now that quotes from the past, be they a month old or a year old, are often worthless thanks to the rather fluid nature of dealing with the case factory and other third parties. On the other hand, I don't think people should avoid asking these things for fear of scaring OPT off the boards. Or we will end up with an atmosphere of "don't ask questions, or OPT will flee..."

@ED and MWeston, I understand the pressures right now, hopefully within a week or so we'll be into assembly and everyone will be smiles again. But I am a little concerned about how it might look to outsiders, when a second official voice in as many days conscientiously disappears from the forums.

Anyway, getting back to benji's question, I think all he needs to hear is that you guys have been getting fed different information from the case factory over time. :) And we all know that's been happening.

Back