New Blog Post!

I'm not too fussed about how my case looks but if had a choice I would have the Top LCD lids painted and the rest left as it is.

craigix said:
As for everyone else, the parts are in the skies right now coming to the UK!
They shipped it last week, right? And it's still in the air? :blink:
What type of Airplane they are using? :lol:

I hope, the parts hit the ground some day, not that everything is lost in space..uh... lost in air. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I understand it with the cases they have made enough for this first run but want to paint them.

We have confirmed there is no lead in the paint.

They have sent a sample to Michael to approve.

Then they will either paint them or ship them as is.

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
As for everyone else, the parts are in the skies right now coming to the UK!
They shipped it last week, right? And it's still in the air? :blink:
What type of Airplane they are using? :lol:

I hope, the parts hit the ground some day, not that everything is lost in space..uh... lost in air. XD

Well when you are dealing with a ton of parts on several palettes (4) it takes some time to collect and take the goods to an international airport, to unload the truck, to take them in to the airport, to then work out on which plane they will fit, and to then fly on a scheduled flight to the UK.

They then have to unload at this end.

It's quite a big job, a lot bigger than a normal UPS package. That is why there is a totally different UPS department to deal with it.

I have had no major concerns about paint quality - I think it looks fine, but I was somewhat concerned that it might be the start of yet another round of case tweaks, which have already added months to the process...

No Problem, whe dont need the Cases (whit Paint or without) until the Boards are Fixed, and i hope you bought enougt SMD Resistors, because there are really really really small and yo can lost some of them faster as you can look,

Meybe to order 2times more resistors as boards should be a good idea.. :rolleyes:

Monk said:
benji_stein said:
2) You say to add on the silk screen would only delay by three additional days? I'm very confused by this. Previously, we were told that we were skipping the silkscreening because it would have to be shipped to another location, screened, and shipped back, which you estimated would take on the order of a month. That's not the situation anymore? What happened?

Monk - I value your opinion, and I would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts on this when you feel more up to it. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Thanks kindly - I hope I have answered fully above (more than fully. More than intended!). With regard to the 3 days MWeston mentions, I believe those are for painting the case a solid black colour, not for silkscreening. The last time I heard, silkscreening was done by an outside company and this is why delays on that specific task tended to... stretch ;)

That painting the case a solid black in-house could be faster than sending cases out to be delicately silkscreened (then checked, then adjusted, then sent back out to have another silkscreen attempt and so on) seems plausable. Personally I thought being silkscreened was a better idea than not, but the potential delays must have been frightening.

Yes, definitely. Thanks for the explanation. I agree with your analysis, and concerns. However, I'm not sure about your interpretation for the silkscreening. Painting, a few days. Paint vs. no paint, you get two time estimates. But MWeston had a third one, with a mention of silkscreening. Only a few days later. What gives? I'd still be insterested in an explanation about it. Where was that post? Here we go:

MWeston said:
The parts from Texas are in the air already and they are going to England. The cases will be shipped on Saturday April 17th (unpainted) or on Tuesday April 20th (painted). Silk screening would mean shipping them on Friday April 23rd and we saw more samples that were a bit better but still not great. Why is that so hard to do? Why haven't they made thousands yet? It baffles me too but from what I hear, they know we are unhappy and keep trying to impress us to no end...and it isn't happening although I have to say seeing the painted cases was the first time I started to feel like this could actually work. I'm pretty picky and perhaps more so than many forumers but I just want a professional product. We'll see what we get in the end. We actually never asked them to keep trying things like they have done. They've just sort of forced that on us by never having anything ready to ship.

craigix said:
As far as I understand it with the cases they have made enough for this first run but want to paint them.

Wait, what? They're shipping yet another sample to MWeston, now? He said otherwise, yesterday:

MWeston said:
MooTheKow said:
So.. I'm slightly confused... are case samples that need approval shipping on the 17th/20th - or are a pallet with 1,000+ cases shipping on that date?
I may have answered you on the blog, but basically they are fully capable of assembling some test units there in China using the parts I sent ages ago and confirm the cases don't scrape parts or bulge out with everything inside. I have no reason to get cases here in Canada since I'm not going to use the cases to send to devs. They need to be boxed up and sent to England for real production now.

Those dates I listed are the days that they should be shipping large volumes to England, not samples.

craigix said:
Confirmed: there is no lead in the paint.
Wait a minute, that's not how this meme is supposed to work! What a setup.

benji_stein said:
However, I'm not sure about your interpretation for the silkscreening. Painting, a few days. Paint vs. no paint, you get two time estimates. But MWeston had a third one, with a mention of silkscreening. Only a few days later. What gives? I'd still be insterested in an explanation about it. Where was that post? Here we go:

MWeston said:
The parts from Texas are in the air already and they are going to England. The cases will be shipped on Saturday April 17th (unpainted) or on Tuesday April 20th (painted). Silk screening would mean shipping them on Friday April 23rd and we saw more samples that were a bit better but still not great. Why is that so hard to do? Why haven't they made thousands yet? It baffles me too but from what I hear, they know we are unhappy and keep trying to impress us to no end...and it isn't happening although I have to say seeing the painted cases was the first time I started to feel like this could actually work. I'm pretty picky and perhaps more so than many forumers but I just want a professional product. We'll see what we get in the end. We actually never asked them to keep trying things like they have done. They've just sort of forced that on us by never having anything ready to ship.

Doh! I TOTALLY missed that 3rd option - April 23rd with silkscreening. Yikes. I thought THAT boat had well and truly sailed. My fault, my apologies :(

benji_stein said:
craigix said:

Wait, what? They're shipping yet another sample to MWeston, now? He said otherwise, yesterday:

It is sad when OpenPandora members seem to contradict each other. I must admit that I had a double-take when I read that line. I wonder what the actuality is?

craigix said:

So when was it decided to make the whole case lot for the first run? I thought they where only to do 1000, and then wait to make the rest on the teams approval? Or when you say enough for the first run, you only mean enough for the 700 boards, PLEASE clarify!

I'm guessing that sample is due at Michaels any day now? As he would have to have it by the weekend, to give the go ahead for the 17th(without paint)right?

I say if they have enough for the first run, ship without any paint, as I really don't belive they can paint a large amount, and at a good quality in 4 days! And if any team members believe that, they have gotten you guys completely snowed! :p

Please keep the info coming!

Chris

jumpman said:
I say if they have enough for the first run, ship without any paint, as I really don't belive they can paint a large amount, and at a good quality in 4 days! And if any team members believe that, they have gotten you guys completely snowed! :p

Chris
Not entirely fair, I'm sure it is possible to paint them well in 4 days (I suspect it is not a manual process), but I think it is more likely to cause more delays (at the very least, weekends, etc), which is fine, it just means we should be measuring the benefit of the paint against likely another couple of weeks delay right? The OPT knows this, it isn't the first time they have dealt with these guys. If they think it is worth the risk of delay, then I trust them. :)

craigix said:

ED stated in his blog post that there wasnt going to be a sample to be sent to MWeston

We should invite Fatih to this conversation :p

Well, the 17th is in a few days, let's see what happens then.

crade said:
jumpman said:

Chris
Not entirely fair, I'm sure it is possible to paint them well in 4 days (I suspect it is not a manual process), but I think it is more likely to cause more delays (at the very least, weekends, etc), which is fine, it just means we should be measuring the benefit of the paint against likely another couple of weeks delay right? The OPT knows this, it isn't the first time they have dealt with these guys. If they think it is worth the risk of delay, then I trust them. :)
Hey Crade, I completely agree that the idea of painting these cases could be done in 4 days, and very well. I just don't believe that this mould factory can do it, and do it properly in 4 days. There have been way to many problems asking for the most basic of things to get done, and I really just can't see them doing it right at this point.

I would very much like one of those nice painted ones, but when I think how the paint may effect the screw holes, and other assembly issues, I just think it is best to skip it(for now). If everything is going to be sitting in the UK within a couple of days, I think it is best at this point to have those cases arrive ASAP. As Michael won't even book his flight until they are on the way, so the board fix can't even begin until those cases are in transit. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but history states otherwise! ;)

Chris

+ 3000 to Jumpman

@ roberthoward45 = i hope this major earth quake in china wont be a problem .

emm i think it IS a problem quite a few people and children are dead.

Back