Beta Mupen64Plus

bzfrank said:
For this version Mupen itself has not changed. Only gles2n64 has changed (to add the new frameskip) and Poke did add the Picklelaucher support.

Speaking of a release on the repository - I think the main issue is that there is currently no real maintainer of Mupen64. A lot people contributed large parts, Ari64, Adventus, ... but are currently busy with other stuff. I only worked on the gfx plugin a bit, so I don't feel qualified to assert maintainer status. ;)

You are more than worth being called a "maintainer". I cannot judge how much work it was, but the effect speaks for itsself.
In the worst case milkshake can move maintainership(or you can share it, dunno how exactly).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ari64 did a new source release today.
The PND is on the repo.

EDIT : I'll share the ownership (on the repo) to anyone willing to maintain it for real.

WAAAAH!
I updated mupen with the newer one from the repo and now my savegames are no longer recognized. Please, I don't wanna start again with Mario64 so what is wrong? Nothing changed, the directories and files are still there and the save file too of course. I wish I had emu-side quicksaves but I don't know the key combo and you can't go back to the emu from within the game without quitting it. Actualy it is still not possible to end Mupen without killing everything via Pandora key. But this is unimportant compared to the savegame problem. :(
Any Ideas why Mupen suddenly ignores the save files?

EDIT: no wonder that nothing works, I found a identical mupen appdata directory in my home directory on NAND (not good). I also found out that I can't switch the plugins from the config menu, I guess there went something wrong with this Mupen package. It builds Identical dirs onto NAND AND appdata directory on SD. :blink:

Previous versions distributed as PNDs had a patch applied to put the save files on the SD card. The full source that I posted is based on the original mupen64plus and places saves in your home directory (ie on the NAND). I'm guessing sebt3 used this instead of applying the diffs. Your savefiles are not lost, just copy them into the other directory.

Hey sebt3, can you post a full source archive of what you used to build the PND, including all patches and plugins?

Ari64 said:
Previous versions distributed as PNDs had a patch applied to put the save files on the SD card. The full source that I posted is based on the original mupen64plus and places saves in your home directory (ie on the NAND). I'm guessing sebt3 used this instead of applying the diffs. Your savefiles are not lost, just copy them into the other directory.

Hey sebt3, can you post a full source archive of what you used to build the PND, including all patches and plugins?
Ho I didnt knew about that patch. Any link ?
All I did was applying this to your yesterday release to be able to cross compile it.
I havent touched the packaging (beside some edit to the PXML) nor the plugins.

sebt3 said:
Ho I didnt knew about that patch. Any link ?
Adventus mentioned that he was changing some things, but I never asked him for the patch.

Adventus said:
Yeah, i have a few modifications i make to the source to make the GUI a bit nicer, etc. Currently i just copy them directly over Ari64's source. If anyone wants the source PM me.

I uploaded a new version that should fix fusion_power issue.

All I did was adding a --configdir "./config" to the launcher scripts

Ari64 said:
I know. but I prefer everything onto the SD. ;) Besides, the Main Problem is, that this version makes 2 IDENTICAL Directory Trees onto SD and the NAND and the worst thing is that you can't change anything in the config dialouge, it always resets everything you set (plugins for example) when leaving the dialouge. ;)

sebt3 said:
I uploaded a new version that should fix fusion_power issue.

All I did was adding a --configdir "./config" to the launcher scripts
Thanks, I will try it. ^^

OK, it works, no longer writes to the NAND. My Problem with not saving everything was because of the dialouge not showen the buttons for confirming changes, somehow the dialouge is bigger than in older Mupen Versions, so I have to move the window which is not so easy because nub controls of mouse are disabled in Mupen. ^^""""

EDIT2: Still something wrong, Emulator does not save the rom directory, after restart is is gone. And Yes I pushed apply and OK this time to confirm it. :D

P.S.: I am the only one who tests Mupen64? Come on, where are the other users, I could need some research help here. ^^

EDIT: now my SD seems to be trashed, I guess I leave Mupen alone for a while, to much stress for such a small programm... :(

I used to test mupen64 but i'm waiting for that GIANT update that will make zelda fun to play ;)

so, the new version indeed does not write the ROM Folder location in the Config, so I just did this with the old Mupen and it worked. :D Back copied new Mupen and it also keeps the ROM Folder location in the config. No clue if the program writes at all to the files correctly. However, I do most of it per hand anyway.
For the future it would be nice if the options window would fit again into the Pandy Screen. And easy per game config would be also great, I have no clue how this is working right now. I always have to adjust the settings per hand.

And which gfx plugin works best for which games? Zelda OOT with the newer one, that do I know. But how is the older one? Does it already make usage of the new FS settings or is this only working with the newer plugin?
And how do I get rid of this annoying Frame full of gfx artifacts around Starfox when I play in 4:3? Disabling offscreen rendering seems not to do the task and 4:3 only sems to work with one GFX plugin at all. Widescreen is fine but no option for me, I hate streched images. Mario is fat enough in 4:3. :D

P.S.: what are actualy the best settings for Goldeneye? Some tipps that help to get it fluid?

Ooooooh, Conkers Bad Fur day gets a lot closer to being playable now. Before this release it used to freeze on me, now I managed to get it all the way through the intro to when I could actually control him, and it looks to be decent speed too. The only problem is that the graphics are completely masively garbled.

Bnanjo Kazooie seems to be a bit faster for me now, Mario 64 seemed a little bit slower for some reason.

Donkey Kong makes a noise at the start then crashes back to desktop, not sure if thats an improvement or not. It seems like RARE games have improved in general so I thought i'd try it.

Pilotwings is better now too, no black blob glitch things, but still a little bit slow.

Thanks very much guys, this emulator is way better than I imagined could be achieved.

I'm not sure if this is correct... I have three icons in my start menu. They're named "Mupen64", "Mupen64 Config" and "Mupen64 Launch". For the first two, they seem the same when launched but have different names at the top of the window. The first says "Mupen64Plus vwin-devel", the second says "Mupen64Plus v1.5-development".

Thanks sebt3! :) I may have a fix for CBFD that did not make it in the last version of the plugins - mainly because Mupen did not handle the game, so it was no use to fix the plugin (or so I thought). I'll see what can be done when I return from the beach. (Currently still out of the loop most of the time)

Bramrash said:
Mario 64 seemed a little bit slower for some reason.
Measuring CPU usage doesn't confirm this, may be a frameskip bug.

Bramrash said:
Donkey Kong makes a noise at the start then crashes back to desktop, not sure if thats an improvement or not. It seems like RARE games have improved in general so I thought i'd try it.
I can confirm this is a dynarec bug. Are there any other non-working games that I should know about?

Ari64 said:
I can confirm this is a dynarec bug. Are there any other non-working games that I should know about?
Blast Corps just plays the first two logos really fast and then crashes to the menu.
Gauntlet Legends just shows a black screen.
Glover does too, but returns to the menu after a few seconds.
Kirby64 is full of graphical glitches, for example kirby has no face.
Layering in a lot of 2d games seems to be wrong. Although most n64 emulators seem to have this issue.

Apart from that very good work!

Ridge Racer 64 runs great, but it takes a slight bit longer for it to become smooth in-game.

Mario 64 is fantastic!

F-Zero X is still slow.

Star Soldier 64 is unplayable due to obfuscated menus! (Black screens, though I can still here distorted sound.)

GoldenEye 007 is a bit better than before!

San Francisco Rush is better than before!

Blue Protoman said:
Ridge Racer 64 runs great, but it takes a slight bit longer for it to become smooth in-game.

Mario 64 is fantastic!

F-Zero X is still slow.

Star Soldier 64 is unplayable due to obfuscated menus! (Black screens, though I can still here distorted sound.)

GoldenEye 007 is a bit better than before!

San Francisco Rush is better than before!
may I ask which settings and which GPU plugin you use? Do you play Fullscreen or 4:3? Mario 64 runs OK with 600MHz and old GPU plugin but it is still slow in the lobby of the castle. I run it in 4:3. I guess it feels smoother with the newer plugin but I can't tell exact speed measurements.

So how can I display FPS in Mupen? Could help to test all the different settings I mess around in the configs, especialy if it brings more FPS when I run the games in 640x480 instead of fullscreen 800x480. Maybe I should test more games with 320x240 for even more FPS but without Anti Aliasing it doesn't look that well. ^^"

Back