Beta Mame4All Beta

Yep, Steve you totally earned it.

Its great you're still working on it too.

Any love for Pocketsnes btw? (Once that puppy has fullscreen, I'm happy :) )

SteveM said:
I haven't been looking at the sound problem myself, working more on getting analogue controls working right when I get a moment, which unfortunately hasn't been that often lately.

While I'm here, I would like to extend a big thank you to those of you who have generously donated via the app store. Hopefully you all know by now that it's completely unnecessary, but I can assure you it will be put to good use all the same ;-)
SteveM, thank you for your work on this emu, and the others you have donated your time and effort to. I'm personally looking forward to the analog controls over the sound fixes, as I haven't reaaly had that much of a problem in that area, but I guess all things should be addressed in time, but I know you have said sound isn't your area of expertise, so I understand leaving that alone for now.

The time you have spent here has made this one of the best handheld emu's I have used over the years, and is one of my all time faves along side Notaz's Picodrive(another classic). I'm sorry to see you don't have the time you once did to work on these projects, but so is the way of life. I donated, and would do it again in a heartbeat(Enjoy). I'm looking forward to your future works and updates, and giving again in the future.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpman said:
I donated, and would do it again in a heartbeat(Enjoy). I'm looking forward to your future works and updates, and giving again in the future.

+1

I will be happy to donate to the SD card fund again :)

Curious problem with this (I'm running hotfix 4)... I've downloaded it a couple times and it's been fairly consistent. I just get a black screen flash and it exits... which is strange because it worked beautifully at one point and I can't figure out what changed. Now I don't get ANYTHING but that black screen (not even the "choose a rom" front-end).

In /tmp I get a pndrunmame4all.out which is attached. It has a few complaints (no fbset? It's there in /usr/sbin...) but I don't really understand what the showstopper is. Any ideas what's going on? Was very embarassing showing off my Pan and having MAME not work--MAME4ALL in my pocket is bragging rights!

Such weird things usually have something to do with a flakey filesytem on the SD Card.
Have you tried removing everything from your MAME4ALL appdata directory (except for the roms) as well?

Try doing a chkdsk or fsck on the SD Card.

vputz said:
In /tmp I get a pndrunmame4all.out which is attached. It has a few complaints (no fbset? It's there in /usr/sbin...) but I don't really understand what the showstopper is. Any ideas what's going on?
Not being able to find fbset would at least be consistent with the symptoms you describe. Is /usr/sbin in your $PATH? Maybe symlink fbset in /usr/bin and see if that helps?

i have found my pandora to pretty often corrupt my sd cards, even if ts in small doses at a time (meaning you can still use them!)

but an fsck ON the pandora would be nice!
maybe on that runs automatically everytime you insert a card
and if theres errors, then
ask user if, repair, dnt repair, dont repair and dont ask again for this card

well ED? :p

Combination of both, maybe. I did have some corruption on the card (fscked it on my eepc), which may have caused some earlier problems, but that didn't fix the main issue. The other problem was indeed the path, which is odd because I only append to the path--but adding /usr/sbin back in did indeed fix the fbset problem and mame4all is again bragging rights. Hurrah!

SteveM said:
I haven't been looking at the sound problem myself, working more on getting analogue controls working right when I get a moment, which unfortunately hasn't been that often lately.
Ok that is a bummer though as most of the classic games suffer from this. DKjr and DK, Q*bert etc are so crackly it is kind of cringeworthy to play. I guess I may have to put the Wiz version back on nd run through Ginge. I lose all of the nice options you put in but that popping is really distracting. Hopefully some day someone will look at it and see if it can be fixed up.

Thanks for everything though.

I've just finished playing QBert, DKJr, DK, PacMan, Galaga, DK3. I was using headphones, hi quality Westone IEM. I found DKJr to be a slight offender and DK a little moreso perhaps. I didn't notice any issues with QBert. DK3 was not good at all.

One thing I noticed was that when the Pandora button is pressed to bring up the menu, sound worsens while the menu is enabled/disabled immediately following the pressing of that button.

Not sure what this might mean, but hopefully it is a little more descriptive than what has been mentioned previously. The only game I found I had to turn the sound down/off on was DK3. Regarding prioritizing what needs to happen for MAME4ALL, I would rather have analog support than flawless sound at this point.

Thanks SteveM,

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
One thing I noticed was that when the Pandora button is pressed to bring up the menu, sound worsens while the menu is enabled/disabled immediately following the pressing of that button.

Running from XFCE4?
Pandora button opens the start menu, that's most probably what slows it down here.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Mjlink said:

Running from XFCE4?
Pandora button opens the start menu, that's most probably what slows it down here.
Yes while running in XFCE4, I can try it from Minimenu too to see if there are any bells/whistles/pops going on.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
EvilDragon said:
Running from XFCE4?
Yes while running in XFCE4, I can try it from Minimenu too to see if there are any bells/whistles/pops going on.
I'm not sure the Pandora button press even gets back to XFCE. Try using Tab (Fn+Space) for the menu and see if it's still the same (you'll need to use Tab in Minimenu anyway or you'll kill the app). Sound should stop pretty much immediately when you enter the menu but there may be a bit of snap, crackle 'n pop when returning to the game.

Mjlink said:
The only game I found I had to turn the sound down/off on was DK3. Regarding prioritizing what needs to happen for MAME4ALL, I would rather have analog support than flawless sound at this point.

Thanks SteveM,

Peace & Pandora,

Link
That is strange because Q*bert pops allot during the game. It is weird because the popping will sometimes fade for a few seconds only to come back. Games you may not think do it actually do. Ms Pac-man does it but you will mostly notice it during the intermission music, I can hear it in Pac-man too but it is not as noticeable due to the nature of the effects..

I dissagree about leaving the sound crackling though, there are many more games effected by the sound bug than there are games that need analog but whatever I guess it comes down to what is easiest to do at the time.

Just saying I'd rather play Frontline with no sound with Nub support than trying to use another setup. I can listen to music and play video games, don't need to have the music from the game all the time. To each their own. I would like to see sound fixed too, just would prefer nub support first.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: Just played Ms. Pac Man, found no cracking whatsoever, made it to the banana level . PacMan, very minimal. I'm using a Class VI MicroCenter 32Gb SDHC. Headphones were highend Grado's. Using TAB button doesn't create any sound issues, it was just the Pandora button in XFCE. Don't see this as a showstopper, What kinda SD card are using? More importantly what speed/format? Gonna try QBert again.

Some of the classic games I have (Ms Pacman, Donkey Kong etc) go to a black screen when I try to run them. Eventually it just goes back to the rom picking screen. I've used romcenter to "fix" all my roms but they still don't work. Anyone else had this problem? Other than that it's great, even Outrun works almost perfectly! Also, can this run the arcade version of Afterburner , never seen it on any of the romsets...?

NickLoTurco said:
Some of the classic games I have (Ms Pacman, Donkey Kong etc) go to a black screen when I try to run them. Eventually it just goes back to the rom picking screen. I've used romcenter to "fix" all my roms but they still don't work. Anyone else had this problem? Other than that it's great, even Outrun works almost perfectly! Also, can this run the arcade version of Afterburner , never seen it on any of the romsets...?
Find a better source, the roms are bad.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Hi There,

Steve, i added analog and better sound stuff on my iMAME port.... Maybe it could be useful for you...

http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/

Cheers.

Seleuco said:
Hi There,

Steve, i added analog and better sound stuff on my iMAME port.... Maybe it could be useful for you...

Cheers.
Great first post!

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Seleuco said:

Hi! Thanks for that. I take it the "AudioToolbox" stuff is iOS-specific? I have some analogue stuff in place. My main issue right now is having MAME recognise the analogue controls. Whatever I do, osd_analogjoy_read() doesn't seem to ever get called. Did you experience anything like that? It's probably something to do with me messing with the joystick list.

Back