Mupen64Plus

Hey Cpasjuste,

How is the port to N900 coming? Last I saw (2 weeks ago) it was around 10FPS..

It wont come at all for now since i did sell my n900 :D
I will make the changes available to the maemo community as soon as i have some time.

Has anymore work been done on Mupen since we last heard? Everyone has been feisty on hearing about the hardware and forgotten about our best piece of software B)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53683-mupen64plus/

There is a second topic by Pickle which is confusing imo. However, Ari64 is still active, I'd assume Adventus is also still doing some work on gles2n64 and I would also like to test out some things in the graphics plugin - unfortunaly, the only one of us with a Pandora so far is probably Adventus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, that was the most logical conclusion I could come up with too, but it would have been easier if it was either named differently or if it would just have been added to the first post imo.
But in the end, this topic should probably be in the dev corner anyway ;)
In fact, I was surprised to find it here while writing my post

Not sure which is the best thread here in the beta, but quick comment:

Video of Pandora playing Starfox here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDdq83iz8E (posted by Trevsweb)

Comparing that to a N64 video, it looks like the draw distance in mupen64plus is greater than on N64 hardware. Or perhaps more accurately, fogging is not quite correct at distance. Most obvious a short way into first level when the mountains appear out the sea - they fade in on a N64 and suddenly pop into life on the pandora video.

Doubt this has any impact on the emu at all in terms of speed, and is a very minor bug report as such, but just wanted to mention in case it increased the amount of calculations that could be ditched in the gfx plugin as something not yet required on screen....

silver said:
Not sure which is the best thread here in the beta, but quick comment:

Video of Pandora playing Starfox here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDdq83iz8E (posted by Trevsweb)

Comparing that to a N64 video, it looks like the draw distance in mupen64plus is greater than on N64 hardware. Or perhaps more accurately, fogging is not quite correct at distance. Most obvious a short way into first level when the mountains appear out the sea - they fade in on a N64 and suddenly pop into life on the pandora video.

Doubt this has any impact on the emu at all in terms of speed, and is a very minor bug report as such, but just wanted to mention in case it increased the amount of calculations that could be ditched in the gfx plugin as something not yet required on screen....

I would continue discussion in the other thread. This one died a while ago, and was only resurrected recently because someone didn't see the other Mupen topic in this forum. Also, because the other topic is about the beta, it would be a good idea to post bug reports there. Lastly, because the other topic has links to the beta for people, it would be better to post the bugs in that topic so that the topic is continuously bumped so other users can find the beta.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I would continue discussion in the other thread. This one died a while ago, and was only resurrected recently because someone didn't see the other Mupen topic in this forum. Also, because the other topic is about the beta, it would be a good idea to post bug reports there. Lastly, because the other topic has links to the beta for people, it would be better to post the bugs in that topic so that the topic is continuously bumped so other users can find the beta.

-God Ginrai

Good suggestion, I'll cross post now..

Weird. Changing sceen resolution doesn't seem to effect performance that much.

I changed from 800 x 480 to 640 x 480. I thought I would gain speed as well as get the right aspect ratio. It didn't seem to change much I still got skippy sound. I then went to 320 x 240 expecting a big speedup. It didn't seem to make that much difference either, it was maybe a little smoother and had slightly less sound skip being 1/4 of the res. but not as big of a deal. It seems resolution is not much of a bottleneck...

DaveC said:

I changed from 800 x 480 to 640 x 480. I thought I would gain speed as well as get the right aspect ratio. It didn't seem to change much I still got skippy sound. I then went to 320 x 240 expecting a big speedup. It didn't seem to make that much difference either, it was maybe a little smoother and had slightly less sound skip being 1/4 of the res. but not as big of a deal. It seems resolution is not much of a bottleneck...
What was the "real" res of most of the N64 Games? More like 320x240 or more like 640x480? Or is this unimportant because of the 3D Graphic that can display any res?
I thought 320x240 (HW)scaled up Full Screen is faster than unscaled 640x480 but it seems to be not the case. ^^

from what i gather the 3d in n64 graphics isnt that hard for the pandoras SGX chip, so whatever the resoltuion the graphics will be the same speed either way.

what really sets the speed is the emulation on the cpu, i think.

one of the main devs might answer better though

fusion_power said:
DaveC said:

What was the "real" res of most of the N64 Games? More like 320x240 or more like 640x480? Or is this unimportant because of the 3D Graphic that can display any res?
I thought 320x240 (HW)scaled up Full Screen is faster than unscaled 640x480 but it seems to be not the case. ^^
The vast majority were 320 x 240. There are only a handful of high res ones. Those mostly required that memory expansion.

I also tried changing resolutions and didn't notice much of a difference in speed.

Also OOT randomly crashes. mario 64 works fine (except for no stars on the doors)

Is this the wrong place to post this?

http://groups.google.com/group/mupen64plus/msg/3f769b6b317e8fb2

Forum user Mushroum Moshroum pm'd me, but I guess I'm not responsible for anything.
I answered with the names "Adventus", "Pickle" and "craigix" - so expect some private messages ;)

JayFoxRox said:
http://groups.google.com/group/mupen64plus/msg/3f769b6b317e8fb2

Forum user Mushroum Moshroum pm'd me, but I guess I'm not responsible for anything.
I answered with the names "Adventus", "Pickle" and "craigix" - so expect some private messages ;)

Yeah, already got one and replied to it.
Can't do much about the google.com-code page (as it is not my site), but I hope we can sort that out quickly.

This is really the downside of letting users upload their stuff onto the archive... :(

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
This is really the downside of letting users upload their stuff onto the archive... :(
I see you added a link to http://bunnitude.com/ari64/mupen64plus-arm-20100402.tar.gz

That's fine, but that's only the dynarec. The package on apps.open-pandora.org also seems to include gles2n64 and an input plugin. Whoever uploaded this should have uploaded a complete source archive.

Maybe the upload form should be changed so that it always asks for a source link or upload, so that people won't forget to do it.

http://code.google.com/p/ppsp-input/

Not sure if that is enough, I'd like to give someone else the project ownership tho.
I just suck with management and all the legal crap.

Any volunteers?

Back