3: Banjo tooie

Crash when starting the Game

-> Worse than before but not that it was any good back then

4: F-Zero:

Wonderful

5: Star Fox:

Sound is great now.

Graphics are too dark

Slows down a lot in second half of the first level.

Rice is updated.
Oh, thanks for the tip! I'd tried RiceES1 before (and the old favourite, gles2n64) and seen the same glitches, but Rice (not ES1) now plays the game almost flawlessly. There are still some pretty obvious glitches in the congrats scene (though nothing that the other plugins don't fail at too) including a bit of jitter/slowdown in the final fireworks, but nothing I could see during gameplay, so I'd count those glitches as very minor. This is the first time I've seen no apparent slowdown during gameplay at 1000MHz on my 1GHz unit, even during the opening corners with up to 29 other cars on screen!

I know someone who'll be pretty impressed with that performance on this game, and I'm pretty impressed myself. I'll have to see how it impacts some other games now.

Has anyone gotten past the Goomba Bros in Paper Mario? I keep getting a crash when the battle with them starts.

On the update: It is great! Noticeable speed/stutter improvement in all the games I play (Paper Mario, LoZ, Goldeneye) Ocarina of Time is smooth as butter!

Thanks again, notaz and ptitSeb. Your work is very appreciated and is a big part of what makes this community great.

Just a note that Donkey Kong 64 is fairly playable and looks fantastic! I can't seem to progress past the barrel throwing training segment though...

1285MHz and 220 system speed.
There are still some issue with the dynarec core preventing this game to be fully playable :(

what settngs do you guys use for goldeneye?
Try Rice GLES1.1 plugin. Not much artefacts and playable framerates (on a Gigahertz)

Just a note that Donkey Kong 64 is fairly playable and looks fantastic! I can't seem to progress past the barrel throwing training segment though...

1285MHz and 220 system speed.
There are still some issue with the dynarec core preventing this game to be fully playable :(
Yes... this game has always caused problems for many emulators... I need my real N64 and the cartridge for this one... but it is locked away in my Grandad's attic... Maybe one day I'll get it back...

It's really a lot closer to being playable now than it ever was before. As noted above, I can complete all of the training exercises except the barrel throwing, where it simply fails to notice you've thrown the fifth barrel and just counts down and chucks you out. In addition to that in all video drivers I've tried there's a bug in the camera where it jumps every second or so - mostly it looks like it's jumping behind you, but not always. And in at least some video drivers there are clipping issues so it's possible to fall through the floor and swim around the level. But the framerate of what is there is so much better than it was before that it's a lot closer to playable now. And the unskippable intro is now over in a matter of minutes rather than however long it used to take!

Another game I've not managed to play is Mario Tennis, but that's a late system game and programmed by Camelot, so it's perhaps not surprising it's a bitch to emulate. Rice and RiceES1.1 seem to hang before the match starts, but are promising up to that point. I think I got best results in Glide, with only a few transparency bugs noted before getting into gameplay, which proceeded well, if a little slowly until it finally hung hitting the OS SD card periodically, but not evidently getting anywhere after half an hour of trying.

Banjo Kazooie runs well with Rice, and if it is still dropping frames it's hiding it well, as apart from some of the menu transitions, I didn't spot a glitch in as far as I played it.

Mario Tennis, but that's a late system game and programmed by Camelot, so it's perhaps not surprising it's a bitch to emulate. Rice and RiceES1.1 seem to hang before the match starts, but are promising up to that point.
Funny, for me the game runs with Rice without issue, and it's pretty playable. Do you have a special config ?

Mario Tennis, but that's a late system game and programmed by Camelot, so it's perhaps not surprising it's a bitch to emulate. Rice and RiceES1.1 seem to hang before the match starts, but are promising up to that point.
Funny, for me the game runs with Rice without issue, and it's pretty playable. Do you have a special config ?
Could be the rom you're using also.

Some roms work better if they're with (U)[!] 

From my quick testing, I found I got much better results when I cleared the previous appdata to generate new config files (also tested under driver 4.10 on a 1 gig model Pandora), mostly using the Rice plugin. Some games now work that didn't for me previously (Kirby 64 very playable, Conker's Bad Fur day, which runs but at a very slow speed, maybe frameskip might improve it, didn't get past the intro as it was taking too long!). what are the best settings people are finding for Ocarina, as it's playing much faster now, but there's a lot of texture glitching apparent in the version I'm running?

Conker does get past the intro, though it has some depth sorting or transparency issues in the cut scenes. Some of the textures (esp. grass) are byte-order screwy in game, but otherwise it seems to play perfectly if slowly. I played for about 25 minutes or so, but didn't get as far as a save point. Does this emu have its own save points?

Also, what's L button?

Conker was tested under Rice, BTW.

I've also been trying to play Blast Corps, but none of the video plugins get past the intro animation.

Re Mario Tennis, I'm playing my own PAL copy (as I am for all of the games I've tested so far). Perhaps a cracked version will play better, but I reckon original code is a better test of the emu.

From my quick testing, I found I got much better results when I cleared the previous appdata to generate new config files (also tested under driver 4.10 on a 1 gig model Pandora), mostly using the Rice plugin. Some games now work that didn't for me previously (Kirby 64 very playable, Conker's Bad Fur day, which runs but at a very slow speed, maybe frameskip might improve it, didn't get past the intro as it was taking too long!). what are the best settings people are finding for Ocarina, as it's playing much faster now, but there's a lot of texture glitching apparent in the version I'm running?
I use glide with no specific config changes that I can think of. Works perfect for me!

From my quick testing, I found I got much better results when I cleared the previous appdata to generate new config files (also tested under driver 4.10 on a 1 gig model Pandora), mostly using the Rice plugin. Some games now work that didn't for me previously (Kirby 64 very playable, Conker's Bad Fur day, which runs but at a very slow speed, maybe frameskip might improve it, didn't get past the intro as it was taking too long!). what are the best settings people are finding for Ocarina, as it's playing much faster now, but there's a lot of texture glitching apparent in the version I'm running?
I use glide with no specific config changes that I can think of. Works perfect for me!
Ok, I'll try that tonight, this update does seem to have made quite an improvement in some of the games, thanks for all the hard work !

Ok, I'll try that tonight, this update does seem to have made quite an improvement in some of the games, thanks for all the hard work !
I'm loving it. It got me back into my pandora runs through OoT and MM.

Does Majora's Mask run well on the Pandora now? I'll have to try that one too!

Does Majora's Mask run well on the Pandora now? I'll have to try that one too!
It has gotten much much better. Speed has improved all around and the graphical glitches are fewer. Each video plugin has its own quirks still. One worked wonderfully but then hung on one of the cut scenes. Some have great speed but have more graphical glitches. I'm still figuring out which one has the best balance for me. Overall it is certainly playable, but not quite as fluid and accurate as OoT.

Just finished dodongo cavern on OoT and glide gave me a perfect play through from what I could tell. It is the best experience I've had with an emulated version of the game, especially with it in the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back